Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2008, 10:46 PM

35 posts, read 142,669 times

Advertisements

I am relocatting from SEattle and want to know what the neighborhood is like on 14th Street SE between G and E Streets. Any infromation would be greatly appreciated. Is this area developing or dangerous. Safe at night or not?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 07:42 AM

470 posts, read 2,095,520 times
There's some housing projects around there with some bad kids. Random muggings and stuff.

I guess a lot of people consider it relatively unsafe at night, but it depends what you're used to.

15 years ago it was a war zone, but it's basically ok now. some interesting bars and a couple restaurants nearby. and you're right on top of the metro, so that's cool.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:07 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,086,339 times
South Pennsylvania, East of say 11th is one of the last vestiges of 'trouble' in that part of Capitol Hill. A public housing project remains that results in a few occasional incidents. It's miles better than it used to be, but still not as gentrified as say 8th Street, SE now is.

Check out the DC Crime map with the DC police (google). You'll see exactly what goes on.

Single male with some street sense, probably ok.
Single female fresh off the turnip truck, probably not.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:10 PM

26 posts, read 98,066 times
That area is actually very nice, in my opinion. I was walking literally right through there over the weekend. The area you are referring to is actually north of Penn Ave, and there are brand new condos and a Harris Teeter nearby, not to mention Potomac Ave metro. You're also close to one of the best parks in the city (Lincoln Park). The housing project is only a few blocks south, but I don't think it's a deal-breaker. At least for me it wouldn't be.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:15 PM

26 posts, read 98,066 times
I just re-read, and while I don't think it's super dangerous, it's not super safe either. It is comparable to other transitional neighborhoods like Petworth, Columbia Heights, Shaw (maybe better than Shaw...)

Old 12-05-2008, 05:10 PM

9 posts, read 57,302 times
About 2 weeks ago, I considered renting a place at 13th & K SE. Like you, I was trying to find a place from out-of-state, so I wasn't very familiar with the area. Granted, the house I looked at was southwest of the Potomac Ave Metro, and the place you're considering is north of the metro.

I liked that the metro and the new Harris Teeter were so close. However, I didn't think I would feel comfortable living there. Although it was the middle of the workday, groups of young adults were loitering on the block. There was also an apartment complex nearby with more young adults loitering in the parking lot. Moreover, I also found some news stories dated from summer '08-October '08 that mentioned residents' concern with crime in the area near the Potomac Ave metro station.

But keep in mind that I'm a young petite single female. So if you're built like a linebacker, maybe you'd feel differently.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:11 PM

5,289 posts, read 1,232,660 times
That part of DC is not the safest part of the city, but like others have said it is getting better and it isn't the worst. As a SWF in her 20's that is not where I live, but I've quite safely navigated it with friends during the day and early evening (though I'd never venture out alone in that area at night).

Old 03-07-2009, 05:55 PM

35 posts, read 142,669 times
Thanks for all the input. Still looking for a place in the neighborhood in Hill East...

Old 08-30-2010, 03:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,773 times
is east hills dangerous neighborhood, near park hill drive?

Old 08-30-2010, 04:45 PM

844 posts, read 2,829,562 times
I've lived in or near DC almost 60 years, and never heard any neighborhood called "East Hills". And Mapquest does not show any such street as "Park Hill Drive" anywhere in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC