U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 05:03 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,772,865 times

Advertisements

Personal anecdotes from one who grew up in Northern Virginia, close-in to DC not the far-flung suburbs:

White men were on the crews that replaced my roof. And my sewer line. And my gutters. And windows.

Although I have a white-collar job and was raised in a middle-class family with a white-collar father, in my early job history I have worked various blue collar jobs. Groundskeeping. Apartment maintenance. Telephone pole work. Delivery driver. The work teams were of various races or in some cases all-white.

After I had a work history in my profession, I suffered a period of unemployment and tried to get any job. I had a hard time getting hired for jobs at grocery stores, restaurants, or retail (even delivery driver, despite my past experience). I don't attribute this to my race, I attribute it to the fact that my pay and job history were way beyond what the employer was expecting in his workers. Still, I managed to get jobs at UPS, packing trucks, and at a company that does inventories for stores. I worked alongside people of various races.

I don't agree with OP's contention that a white person can't get hired for blue collar due to a hiring manager thinking they won't fit it with the crew. Others have stated the demographic reasons for why you see a preponderance of non-whites in the local blue-collar jobs. Also, I've never felt insecure about being white in the DC area, which OP seems to feel living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 02:18 PM

1,477 posts, read 1,735,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
Here's the conspiracy:

1) White working class and poor white folks don't like to live in poor black or poor immigrant communities.

2) This area attracts highly educated professionals and new college graduates who equally do not like to live in poor black or immigrant communities.

3) These newcomers settle into working class white and poor white areas, dramatically driving up the housing and rental prices.

4) Mom and pop stores close down, boutiques and Starbucks replace them. Houses that were $100K are now $400K. Rents that were $300 per month are now $1,000 per month. Modest garden style apartments replaced with modern high rise apartments and condos.

5) White working class can either move to poor mostly black and immigrant neighborhoods, or move out to outer suburbs or ex-burbs. Surprise, surprise, they move way out.

6) White working class can work for mediocre wages in outer suburbs, or commute 3 hours a day for mediocre wages in DC. Surprise, surprise, they are not willing to commute 3 hours a day to be a bus driver.

7) Some white working class in a trade determine that their best and highest paying customers live in DC or its suburbs, so it is worth it for them to commute to do their jobs.

8) DC employers with working class jobs still offer mediocre wages, as their are plenty of black and immigrant workers willing to accept those jobs. Surprise, surprise, most working class employees in DC are black or immigrants.

The "conspiracy" is also known as "white flight."
DING DING, we have a winner.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,273 times
what are you guys talking about? I see blue collar white males in dc all the time. Have any of you ever seen all the otis elevator repair trucks that floods this city every day, how about all electrician company business that hire predominantly white males.. I will go one better,see who are the baggage handlers out at reagan national airport.HVAC COMPANIES HIRE WHITE MALES AS APPRENTICES JUST OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL !!! It appears to me that you guys are looking in wrong places.Oh by the way the washington dc area is fifth among cities with the most millionaires.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:13 AM

18,480 posts, read 15,348,555 times
Lots of White guys working blue collar jobs in So. MD.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:16 PM

560 posts, read 1,202,105 times
While DC never had a big manufacturing sector, DC used to have a large population of blue collar whites when there were many heavy labor jobs at the Navy Yard and munitions factory (which I think was near Suitland). Those jobs started disappearing after the Korean War, and thus began the exodus of whites from east-of-the river neighborhoods. Until 1970, parts of Congress Heights were still 100% white, and there were many county & western bars. By the late 70s, most of those folks ended up in Prince George's County, and then on to Anne Arundel County after school busing began.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:40 PM

513 posts, read 755,588 times
The people working inside the DC Metros are useless. They are not blue or white collar.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:32 PM

8,016 posts, read 8,824,819 times
^ that's your opinion. i bet a white guy could do blue collar
work in dc for cheap labor like anybody else. it's just that
i am almost sure they expect to get paid more than everyone
else.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:13 PM

411 posts, read 730,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ that's your opinion. i bet a white guy could do blue collar
work in dc for cheap labor like anybody else. it's just that
i am almost sure they expect to get paid more than everyone
else.
he's right about them being useless. not only that but they are usually quite rude and lazy. complaints about the metro workers have been going on for years. generally, I think they suck. always have.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:27 PM

411 posts, read 730,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
While DC never had a big manufacturing sector, DC used to have a large population of blue collar whites when there were many heavy labor jobs at the Navy Yard and munitions factory (which I think was near Suitland). Those jobs started disappearing after the Korean War, and thus began the exodus of whites from east-of-the river neighborhoods. Until 1970, parts of Congress Heights were still 100% white, and there were many county & western bars. By the late 70s, most of those folks ended up in Prince George's County, and then on to Anne Arundel County after school busing began.

All of this is spot on.

Congress heights was full of rednecks and bikers pre-1970. When I lived in Fort Washington as a kid, I had a friend who's dad was old, white, and a total "greaser". He had some biker jacket with some gang name like "satans sons" or some crap. I asked him where he was in a gang and he told me he was from "The District". Of course he wasn't in this gang by this time, it was something of the past. I would bet money now that that man was from Congress Heights in the 50's and 60's. White gangs in DC! It was pretty common at one time and almost completely forgotten by now. I guess that's ok.

This was the mid 80's and that dude looked about 50 or so. Puts his hell raising days in the 50's and 60's probably. I just know it was Congress Heights! wish I could ask him. that's probably not possible.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:06 AM

8,016 posts, read 8,824,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwashingtonkid View Post
he's right about them being useless. not only that but they are usually quite rude and lazy. complaints about the metro workers have been going on for years. generally, I think they suck. always have.
wow! really? if every single one of them were
totally useless, metro would be in even worse
shape. there would be no use taking the bus
or the train anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or