U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 09:18 AM

51 posts, read 69,621 times

Advertisements

Brookland is generally much safer and calmer than other neighborhoods with a comparable price range. However, you sacrifice convenience that you get in other neighborhoods, as not nearly as much is within walking distance (grocery stores, convenience stores, restaurants, etc.). Even the metro can be a 15-20 minute walk, depending on where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 09:20 AM

13,043 posts, read 20,037,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgcards View Post
Brookland is generally much safer and calmer than other neighborhoods with a comparable price range. However, you sacrifice convenience that you get in other neighborhoods, as not nearly as much is within walking distance (grocery stores, convenience stores, restaurants, etc.). Even the metro can be a 15-20 minute walk, depending on where you live.
That's not a bad thing. I mean, better than going much further out into the deep suburbs, where you'd have the same issue combined with a long commute.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:33 PM

4,033 posts, read 5,276,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's not a bad thing. I mean, better than going much further out into the deep suburbs, where you'd have the same issue combined with a long commute.
I don't know. I think its more about lifestyle these days. There are just as many jobs in the Virginia suburbs as the city it seems. I tried to get a job in the District this summer but I got more headhunters contacting me about jobs in Chantilly, Reston, Quantico, and Stafford. Frustrating when I would ask "Do you have any openings in the District or Arlington" the answer would often be no. So don't assume your job will be in the District. Depending on your field your job might be out by Dulles. I just met a guy last night who commutes from Courthouse metro area to Dulles and another who commutes an hour from Anacostia to Falls Church via metro.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:18 AM

65 posts, read 167,029 times
Petworth is good. I loive here w/ the Mrs and raising our two kids here. One goes out of boundary for school, but that's pretty common.
Petworth is changing for the better. Gentrification has started as the old folks sell their houses, but I really don't think it will consume the area. There are still a lot of diversity. I like my neighborhood and my neighbors. There is still some crime, but polce are all over the place and citizens no longer hesitate to call them.
As far as housing stock, it runs the gamut. If you are not into DIY, be prepared to pay a premium. I paid about 300 for my row house and have been rehabbing for about a year. A neighbor bought a rehabbed house for about 500. Petworth seems to have much larger yards than other areas around here.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:05 AM

1 posts, read 594 times
Hello people...,

Currently, I am applying for a job in Washington DC. It’s not for sure and the background check process has just started. Anyway, I am researching the area and checking out the cost of living. So far, I am screaming “Aw-whoa...”

I am a single of two kids. My baby girl 11 years old and Jr. is 9 years old. Question is where we start looking... I would prefer living in the city in order to blend family and adulthood life (smile)… The job potentially pays over 100k (God willing).... Most of reasonable places around (Capitol Hill / DuPont) are income limited. That sucks... Maybe not...

-MrHazelBlu-

Old 01-12-2011, 05:12 PM

51 posts, read 69,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHazelBlu View Post
Hello people...,

Currently, I am applying for a job in Washington DC. Its not for sure and the background check process has just started. Anyway, I am researching the area and checking out the cost of living. So far, I am screaming Aw-whoa...

I am a single of two kids. My baby girl 11 years old and Jr. is 9 years old. Question is where we start looking... I would prefer living in the city in order to blend family and adulthood life (smile) The job potentially pays over 100k (God willing).... Most of reasonable places around (Capitol Hill / DuPont) are income limited. That sucks... Maybe not...

-MrHazelBlu-
all I can say is plan to be paying for private school if you live in the city.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 4,923 times
Brookland and areas of Michigan Park. Lots of families and neighborhood feel.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:43 PM

17,412 posts, read 8,036,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
When you say "Far Southeast" that covers a lot of territory including many of worst, most violent areas of the city. The only part of "Far Southeast" that I would even consider is the Hillcrest - East Washington Heights neighborhood (alongside Penn. Avenue) which does have many elegant, detached older brick homes, set back from the street on shady, treed lots. It does look attractive. They even have a yearly house and garden tour. However, I imagine the schools there would still be quite bad, since on either side of it are lower-class areas and projects (correct me if I'm wrong). Maybe you could check this out on GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community . Penn. Avenue S.E., itself is also badly torn-up for construction (during non-rush hours) for the next year.
The OP didn't give a price range but homes in Hillcrest run around the high 200s to mid 300s not exactly cheap and private school tuition would be required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC