Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 06:19 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times

Advertisements

If a person has kid(s), and not a lot of money, where could they live in the District?

Ahmm...white/asian couple, mixed kid.

DC looks REAL attractive...I have the MA degrees, so might find some interesting work in DC - but probably not the kind of jobs that would bring in much income. The city of DC looks gorgeous in many places. But seems like it is either way too high priced or too dangerous (for wife/kid combination in tow).

Does that basically price someone out of DC altogether? Part of the problem though is that MD/VA doesn't really look all that attractive, and neither does constant car driving/maintenace/parking issues/etc.

Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 07:09 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Yes it does price you out unless you want to live in the Anbar Province of DC.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:12 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
You should check out the upper Northeast quadrant west of the Anacostia River (the general Ca(holic University vacinity). You wouldn't be living in luxury, but it's more kid friendly, can be Metro accessible (red or green line), and more affordable than many of the better known areas. Everyone says DC's too expensive, but somehow a lot of families that aren't rich live there with kids.

Also need to consider the schools. They've come a long way, but aren't great. There are some good ones in that area (Burroughs for 1-8 comes to mind) so long as you're okay with a predominantly black school population, which is what you'll get pretty much in any public school in the city, good or bad.

Good luck. Hope you find what you want.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:49 PM

331 posts, read 903,954 times
Brookland, Langdon Park, and Woodridge are pretty good middle class neighborhoods.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:21 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,759 times
far southeast

Old 12-12-2010, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,942 times
Montgomery County, MD, especially southern Silver Spring is a pretty good place to be. More affordable than most of DC and decent schools, plus it's metro and bus accessible. Otherwise, I second the Brookland/Catholic University recommendation.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:47 PM

845 posts, read 2,831,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
far southeast
When you say "Far Southeast" that covers a lot of territory including many of worst, most violent areas of the city. The only part of "Far Southeast" that I would even consider is the Hillcrest - East Washington Heights neighborhood (alongside Penn. Avenue) which does have many elegant, detached older brick homes, set back from the street on shady, treed lots. It does look attractive. They even have a yearly house and garden tour. However, I imagine the schools there would still be quite bad, since on either side of it are lower-class areas and projects (correct me if I'm wrong). Maybe you could check this out on GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community . Penn. Avenue S.E., itself is also badly torn-up for construction (during non-rush hours) for the next year.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:02 AM

86 posts, read 241,960 times
seriously if you want to live in dc and you have kids, you should also plan to have a budget for private school. dcps has some of the worst performing public schools in the nation.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:55 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times
The Original Poster here. First posted in September before I really got into examining DC.

My basic conclusion is that there is NO affordable/safe areas anywhere in DC. From research, I think CAPITOL HILL might be a safe family friendly area, but not necessarily affordable.

But, ultimately I came to the conclusion that gotta go to Maryland or 25+ out there in Virginia. That's basically what I've concluded so far.

Anyways, OP here, just thought I'd give an update, since this topic came back

Old 12-15-2010, 05:27 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,759 times
I would stay to the burbs. Seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC