U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-23-2010, 06:56 PM

9,899 posts, read 7,932,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
So the city is becoming nearly as expensive as New York City but has a horrible nightlife scene in comparison? Nice.
Flawed logic linking COL to nightlife since there are communities all over the world with extraordinarily expensive homes or mansions and minimal to no nightlife. It's just a matter of what people value, and DC's a buttoned-down career city above all else so people, generally, are not too compelled to mess their careers up by following their unrequited dream of being a club kid. That's what Miami's for. (I honestly have no idea what else Miami produces besides clubs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-23-2010, 06:58 PM

323 posts, read 406,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
So the city is becoming nearly as expensive as New York City but has a horrible nightlife scene in comparison? Nice.
Sad isn't it?

It just confirms how work oriented people are in this city. DC residents aren't the most outgoing people in the world.

Unread 09-23-2010, 07:25 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,299,814 times
For whatever it's worth, Vegas is the same. Having spent 3 weeks out there last year, the Vegas strip is quiet Sunday afternoon-Wednesday. Thursday, everyone flies in, majority come in from LA and it's an absolute show from Thursday through Sunday morning.

And there's nothing wrong with walking into an empty bar during the work week. I was merely pointing out the vast difference between said bar on a Friday Night and a Wednesday night.

Unread 09-23-2010, 08:04 PM

9,399 posts, read 6,657,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh8 View Post
Sad isn't it?

It just confirms how work oriented people are in this city. DC residents aren't the most outgoing people in the world.
No, they just find things to do during the week besides going out and getting sloshed listening to ****ty Top 40 music being blared at them louder than a space shuttle liftoff. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with doing that, it's just that there's more to life and socializing than doing that.

Unread 09-23-2010, 08:23 PM

2,556 posts, read 1,342,159 times
This
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
No, they just find things to do during the week besides going out and getting sloshed listening to ****ty Top 40 music being blared at them louder than a space shuttle liftoff. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with doing that, it's just that there's more to life and socializing than doing that.
One thing I have noticed in D.C. is we have a lot more introverts than in other cities. I think the work here draws the quiet intellectual types who'd rather not stay out at all hours of the night. Also people here are more self-conscious; in a town where careers hinge on reputation, one stupid night of partying can have nasty consequences.

Unread 09-23-2010, 08:26 PM

11,493 posts, read 16,283,247 times
I'll take a guess at this.

Isn't DC a city that swells during workhours. Meaning, there are a whole lot of people who live in the suburbs.

In NYC, most of those people live in NYC...so going to your neighborhood watering hole is easy. In DC, if you commute back to who-knows-where, the chances of commuting back into the city for a drink doesn't sound so appealing to most.

Unread 09-24-2010, 09:52 AM

14,644 posts, read 7,166,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Also people here are more self-conscious; in a town where careers hinge on reputation, one stupid night of partying can have nasty consequences.
This is definitely true. I am always hesitant to curse out people in traffic for this reason. The guy you flip the bird to might be the guy who interviews you next week. The city's just that small. And since there really aren't that many places to hang out in the city, the odds of you running to an ex or some other undesirable are pretty high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Anyway, why is it better to party til 5 am weeknights and pretend you can work the next day? Never worked for me.
One word: adrenaline. NYC is pumping with it. I was never really tired during the week. I would sleep from about 6 to 9, get to work by 10, leave work by 11, hit the club by midnight, leave at 4, eat someplace, and then repeat the cycle all over again. You never really felt tired because each night was something new. You didn't feel the after effects until mid-Friday afternoon. You go home and crash Friday night and let the bridge and tunnel crowd have the city for the weekend.

Unread 09-24-2010, 11:45 AM

9,899 posts, read 7,932,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This is definitely true. I am always hesitant to curse out people in traffic for this reason. The guy you flip the bird to might be the guy who interviews you next week. The city's just that small. And since there really aren't that many places to hang out in the city, the odds of you running to an ex or some other undesirable are pretty high.

One word: adrenaline. NYC is pumping with it. I was never really tired during the week. I would sleep from about 6 to 9, get to work by 10, leave work by 11, hit the club by midnight, leave at 4, eat someplace, and then repeat the cycle all over again. You never really felt tired because each night was something new. You didn't feel the after effects until mid-Friday afternoon. You go home and crash Friday night and let the bridge and tunnel crowd have the city for the weekend.
Well, people determined to party are logically going to gravitate to NY and mix in with the more straightlaced crowd. People tend to take their lives a little more seriously in DC I've found - meaning a lot more investment in education and career that needs to pay off. As mentioned above, there's also less anonymity here. Still, very unhealthy and a sure path to looking old really young depending on adrenaline like that! DC, to me, has a nice balance of raukus nightlife plenty enough nights a week and lower (but still not desolate) nightlife the rest. No need to over do it for me.

Unread 09-24-2010, 01:13 PM

7,304 posts, read 9,786,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
I think by nightlife, he means clubbing, etc.
Personally, I never liked clubs. Gimme an old bar with a jukebox, something decent on tap, a few girls, and I am happy.

Unread 09-24-2010, 02:35 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 1,874,136 times
DC clubs are okay. I loved NOLA better but I enjoy my time at Zanzibar and occasionally the Park@14th. Lux Lounge is decent but drinks are to dayum high. I don't do Adams Morgan. that place is filthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC