Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 07:35 AM

35 posts, read 56,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Dogs are a hell of a lot cleaner than the folks who come to my neighborhood Friday and Saturday nights :|
What neighborhood is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 07:58 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Baller View Post
What neighborhood is that?
Adams Morgan. Place is just dayum filthy.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:13 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
mmhmmm

Biggest Baller, like I think I said in an earlier post, Saturday and Sunday mornings on 18th street look like a tornado blew through there. All the drunk fools leave their trash everywhere.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:13 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
I don't know why people keep comparing DC to New York. Correct comparison is to Moscow.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
I don't know why people keep comparing DC to New York. Correct comparison is to Moscow.
It probably gets compared so often because its the most similar city to NYC in the North East.

High population, diversity, heavy subway use, attracts power hungry people and money worshippers, etc. Thats my guess.

But in the end I think every city gets compared to NYC at some point.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:28 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

One word: adrenaline. NYC is pumping with it. I was never really tired during the week. I would sleep from about 6 to 9, get to work by 10, leave work by 11, hit the club by midnight, leave at 4, eat someplace, and then repeat the cycle all over again. You never really felt tired because each night was something new. You didn't feel the after effects until mid-Friday afternoon. You go home and crash Friday night and let the bridge and tunnel crowd have the city for the weekend.
you're getting adrenaline confused with whatever white powder you were on

Old 09-29-2010, 08:39 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Nobody has been to Moscow to verify. Plus, Moscow became kind of irrelevant to the world after about 1990. Whereas everything about DC has been looking UP ever since.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 09-29-2010 at 08:48 AM..

Old 09-29-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
you're getting adrenaline confused with whatever white powder you were on
Agree.

3 hours of sleep 5 days in a row is ridiculous. Either that whole story is exaggerated or dude was on drugs. I can see that happening twice during the week in NYC but not all week.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:25 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
So the city is becoming nearly as expensive as New York City but has a horrible nightlife scene in comparison? Nice.
There's more to a city than nightlife. Also NYC is exponentially more populated than DC so of course there's more nightlife options. Also NYC has more artistic work off hours types versus the more white collar DC area. Also DC's nightlife has nothing to do with the high cost of living here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
How is it horrible? It's lively enough on the weekends, and it's not completely dead on weekdays. DC simply isn't a city renowned for its nightlife. If you want poppin' bars every day of the week then you should probably move somewhere where that's the case. I'm sure if the majority of people here wanted to party every night, they would, but they don't.
That's a point. Also I used to do the go out and carry on thing every night too. But not only will that hurt your wallet's feelings it gets old after a while. I like to be out and about but now it might be chillin at friend's house or going to a non-club type of event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'll take a guess at this.

Isn't DC a city that swells during workhours. Meaning, there are a whole lot of people who live in the suburbs.

In NYC, most of those people live in NYC...so going to your neighborhood watering hole is easy. In DC, if you commute back to who-knows-where, the chances of commuting back into the city for a drink doesn't sound so appealing to most.
That's a point. But you also have a LOT of people like me who are suburb to suburb commuters. When I lived in Oakton but commuted to Arlington I was usually tired after the long commute. So turning right around to go out just wasn't happening. I was forever late to dates and after work outings so eventually I just gave up and stuck with going out on the weekends.

Now that I'm in Arlington but still have a long reverse commute (it was bearable before school started) I would say that I'm not as tired and go out fairly frequently. There's just something about fighting traffic to get back to the suburbs, you just don't want to deal with driving for more than 10 or 15 minutes, at least that's how it is for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
One thing I have noticed in D.C. is we have a lot more introverts than in other cities. I think the work here draws the quiet intellectual types who'd rather not stay out at all hours of the night. Also people here are more self-conscious; in a town where careers hinge on reputation, one stupid night of partying can have nasty consequences.
True now that I've been here for a couple years definitely learning what a small world DC is. Funny thing is only in the city do I run into people. Never in VA. There's more anonymity in the suburbs at least for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This is definitely true. I am always hesitant to curse out people in traffic for this reason. The guy you flip the bird to might be the guy who interviews you next week. The city's just that small. And since there really aren't that many places to hang out in the city, the odds of you running to an ex or some other undesirable are pretty high.
Storytime. Got into it with some random guy at some random restaurant. We were both drunk as skunks. Bumped into him the next night was even introduced as I'm trying to walk away or rather duck and hide. Next thing I know I'm pulled into the group by another friend (who I also just happened to bump into) "Hey So-and-so this is Terrence." Played it off pretty good turned out to be a nice guy who had drank too much that night. How can a city with a metropolitan population going into the millions be so gosh darn small?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
You can't really label an entire metropolitan area of nearly six million as being "introverted, cold, and self-conscious." I WILL say, though, that the DC "boosters" are lying if they refuse to admit that this city has a higher proportion of Type A personalities than many other cities.

My main complaint just lies with the fact that our cost-of-living is now rising to nearly rival NYC, but we don't seem to have the same level of offerings to justify it.

I'd be willing to live in a rooming house in Manhattan on a $50,000 salary to get a slice of the "Sex and the City" lifestyle. Expecting one to do the same in DC with a fraction of that lifestyle just doesn't sit well with me.

I see no reason why a place like Reston should be commanding 1-BR rental prices well in excess of $1,000/month, on average, when it doesn't have Metrorail access, is a long hike outside the city, and doesn't even have a single nightclub (sad, for a suburb with a population of 65,000).
I agree I know I'm not cold (except when they blast the AC in that conference room the 9th floor) or even all that introverted.

This area's high cost of living has nothing to do with how cool it is or proximity to nightlife. While that will often shape a neighborhood's cost of living, it doesn't quite work that way for an entire metropolitan area. No one said that DC was "cooler" than or rather almost as "cool" as NYC and therefore automatically gets its high cost of living.

Also salaries are higher here. I don't know anyone in their 20s making $50K outside the DC area. Also there are more opportunities here. I hate the COL too but that's one thing you can't really change. We can go on and on about how expensive it is but...that won't change anything.

Frankly, I don't know if I do want to change that. Not that I wouldn't mind being able to comfortably afford a house here on my current salary but the only way to lower the cost of living here would be to well...Violently and repeatedly violate the capitalist system that this country's economy is albeit flimsy, still built on. More housing subsidies for the poor? Sure I can roll with that.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:28 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
I like Adams Morgan. I think its a matter of taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC