Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 09:37 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
starring Meg Ryan & Tom Hanks. Idealistic white couple looking to "declare solidarity with the people" and get killer housing bargain at the same time moves into one of DC's toughest hoods. Unintentional hilarity ensues as couple makes multiple noise complaints to city during first week, is harrassed by homeless man asking for $8, and has lit firecrackers tossed at them by neighborhood pre-teens. Rated PG-13.
Ummm....there are homeless people in some of the wealthiest parts of DC you know. And there are homeless folks in the suburbs. I'm just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 06:09 PM

29 posts, read 48,405 times
This
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstreetqb View Post
people buying houses in my neighborhood know the deal moving in. We don't wake up one day, and while drinking our starbucks in our breakfast nook, remark 'darling, i don't think that was fireworks we heard last night, shall we move to a studio bethesda?'.

A lot of people seem to be painting the folks moving into the transitional neighborhoods as naive fluffy yuppies. The mid/mid-upper class young folks who expect certain levels of safety and luxury will stay in apartments and $700/sqft postage stamp condos in dupont and georgetown or eat a 90 minute commute from virginia - not move to shaw.

What i see in the new residents of our neighborhood is the best parts of the american middle class. We're mostly trying to make ends meet, while fixing up the little piece of the world we finally get to call our own. I guarantee you that the downpayment for any house in our neighborhood didn't come from a trust fund. It represents a lot of hard work, so god help anyone that tries to take that away from us.

There are thousands of folks in the shaw neighborhood who will continue to recieve housing subsidies to afford living next to a metro, walking distance to the white house, logan circle, and the golden triangle, no matter how much it gentrifies. The new monster developments are reserving a % of apartments for subsidized housing and i'm all for the mixed income model to maintain affordable housing options in the neighborhood.

However, if you lived here, you would realize that the current housing projects are doing nothing whatsoever to improve the lives of the people living in them, and in some cases it's outright stealing their lives from them. So when i called stars and idiot (short lived 3 word post), understand i was being very very reserved.

You are right on the breaking point for me personally though. If something happened to my girlfriend, that would be it.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:06 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
starring Meg Ryan & Tom Hanks. Idealistic white couple looking to "declare solidarity with the people" and get killer housing bargain at the same time moves into one of DC's toughest hoods. Unintentional hilarity ensues as couple makes multiple noise complaints to city during first week, is harrassed by homeless man asking for $8, and has lit firecrackers tossed at them by neighborhood pre-teens. Rated PG-13.
LOL, you know what, I'd pay to go see a movie like this. Well, I might download it from Netflix. Sounds better than most of the dumb movies going around these days.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:09 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL, you know what, I'd pay to go see a movie like this. Well, I might download it from Netflix. Sounds better than most of the dumb movies going around these days.
You don't have to rent it, just go stand on a corner at 14th Street & watch it live.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:11 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Ummm....there are homeless people in some of the wealthiest parts of DC you know. And there are homeless folks in the suburbs. I'm just saying.
But asking for X dollars (usually $7 or $8) is a transitional/hood thing. Because that was how much a certain amount of crack cost at the time. Maybe it's $16 now with inflation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC