Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 02:42 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,055,006 times

Advertisements

Well, I was reading this article about DC food trucks:
D.C. restaurant owners pushing for tighter restrictions on food trucks

Which led to this list of food trucks operating in DC:
DC Food Trucks Tracked on thestrEATS

Which made me think....

A) Any food trucks you frequent yourselves? Those of you in DC...

B) Are they ONLY in DC...or do they go out to VA & MD as well?

C) I just saw TWO KOREAN food trucks...I love Korean food..and that one 'TaKorean' (Korean BBQ Tacos)! Anyone been there? Korean food in a taco...I would LOVE to try that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 10:09 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,450,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Well, I was reading this article about DC food trucks:
D.C. restaurant owners pushing for tighter restrictions on food trucks

Which led to this list of food trucks operating in DC:
DC Food Trucks Tracked on thestrEATS

Which made me think....

A) Any food trucks you frequent yourselves? Those of you in DC...

B) Are they ONLY in DC...or do they go out to VA & MD as well?

C) I just saw TWO KOREAN food trucks...I love Korean food..and that one 'TaKorean' (Korean BBQ Tacos)! Anyone been there? Korean food in a taco...I would LOVE to try that one.
I think they are a great fit for the golden triangle, where places to grab a quick bite on the run are not as common among the nice restaurants.

My favorite vendor right at Farragut West, an area mentioned in your first article, served awesome half-smokes and jerk-chicken burritos. Unfortunately they disappeared last year and another vendor set up shop there, but I am definitely enjoying some of the new trucks that are popping up. DC pushed for more options, and they seem to be forthcoming as you can see from your second link.

I understand the restaurant owners concern in places like Adams Morgan. They're offering a substitute product to the most common types of restaurants up there.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:11 AM

660 posts, read 1,701,239 times
They are definitely in Arlington, but not sure about elsewhere in VA or MD. Arlington has trucks selling crepes, banh mi, Neapolitan pizza, etc.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:43 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,503,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
They are definitely in Arlington, but not sure about elsewhere in VA or MD. Arlington has trucks selling crepes, banh mi, Neapolitan pizza, etc.
In Arlington I've seen District Taco and Rebel Heroes around Crystal City and Rosslyn. DT has the most authentic Mexican food I've seen in the area. RH is OK but if you want Vietnamese the brick and mortar stores (Pho 75 and Pho 79) have less wait and better prices. Who's got crepes?

Old 09-30-2010, 11:02 AM

660 posts, read 1,701,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
In Arlington I've seen District Taco and Rebel Heroes around Crystal City and Rosslyn. DT has the most authentic Mexican food I've seen in the area. RH is OK but if you want Vietnamese the brick and mortar stores (Pho 75 and Pho 79) have less wait and better prices. Who's got crepes?
I guess it's not a truck per se, but I often see a crepe place setting up in Rosslyn (on Lynn St) at 6:30 AM.

I'm not surprised about Rebel Heroes, but unlike the actual Vietnamese stores in the area, RH sells veggie food.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:21 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,788,873 times
Those trucks always smell great, but I don't eat the food. Where do those people wash their hands. Where do they use the restroom.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:01 PM

494 posts, read 1,187,767 times
Everytime I see one of these trucks in Mcpherson square area, there is a huge line. Also, I heard that some of their offerings are kinda expensive. You'd think that a food truck would be cheaper.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:55 PM

52 posts, read 238,087 times
From Yelp.com, I heard about DC's first annual food truck cook-off event sponsored by Brightest Young Things.
As a pinnacle of BYT's love for all foods sold out of moving vehicles on the streets of DC, on October 7th and 8th (a week before the food truck legislation goes for a vote) we're partnering up with DCRA and DC Comission on the Arts and Humanities to throw DC's First Annual Curbside Cook-off (http://dcra.dc.gov/DC/DCRA/For+Business/2010+Curbside+Cookoff - broken link).
Get more details here: BrightestYoungThings: Save The Date: First Annual DC Curbside Cook-Off (Food Trucks!!!) Festival

Old 10-01-2010, 09:24 AM

741 posts, read 2,776,316 times
good CHEAP street food in DC is SORELY LACKING!!! there are some bright spots but not many at all...

Old 10-01-2010, 02:09 PM

52 posts, read 238,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
Those trucks always smell great, but I don't eat the food. Where do those people wash their hands. Where do they use the restroom.
Funny that you ask this, because these are my sentiments exactly! I personally don't eat from them either. But I've always been that way -- ever since the 1980s when my mom refused to get us any cotton candy from a food truck that used to pull in front of our local grocery store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC