U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2010, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 4,287 times

Advertisements

I am currently thinking about moving to Alexandria. I work in Bethesda, and have been doing the commute from Fairfax for the past year. It's actually not too bad, considering I leave early in the morning and typically work later than most. I'm from the Northern VA/DC area so I'm familiar w/ all the roads and typical traffic everywhere, particularly on 66 and the beltway, but I'm a little nervous about commuting from Old Town Alexandria to Bethesda every morning and the reverse commute.

Anyone ever done this commute and have any suggestions for routes or typical time it takes each way? I'll probably test some out next week but any insight would help.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 11:27 AM

2,633 posts, read 3,220,972 times
Depending on where in Fairfax you're coming from, it could be an *improvement*.
Once you're on the Beltway, then just stay away from the right lanes. Most of the backups occur by the on/off ramps.
I go from Arlington -> GWP -> I495 -> Bethesda in around 25 minutes without traffic; around 45 with traffic. From Old Town Alexandria I'd add an extra 10 minutes to both.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:18 PM

35 posts, read 46,821 times
Why not just move to Bethesda?

The cost of living there is almost identical to Alexandria VA. The culture and types of people in the area are similar as well... only Alexandria might be a younger crowd. But if you are going to move to a high priced DC suburb.. why not move to the one you already work in? You wont need to drive your car or take the Metro. You'll be able to go to bed later and wake up later.

Just sayin'

Last edited by Biggest Baller; 09-30-2010 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: mistake

Old 10-04-2010, 01:17 PM

282 posts, read 812,145 times
I used to commute from Old Town to Chevy Chase. When I wanted to avoid the MD part of the Beltway, I'd get off on the Clara Barton Parkway. Take it to MacArthur (usually not the first exit with the narrow bridge, but the second that's past Goldsboro), turn onto Goldsboro, and take it to Bradley. Leaving on the early side (~6:30am), it wasn't bad.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 4,042 times
Real quick: From Alexandria, get on Rt 1 and take that all the way over the Key Bridge, make left onto Wisconsin Ave and take that all the way to Bethesda. I've gone this way a few times when visiting a client and it's about 16 miles and takes about 45 min. So you'll hit traffic but the mileage makes it faster. So many options to get there so just listen to traffic info before leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC