U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-13-2010, 07:42 AM
 
12,714 posts, read 18,457,897 times
Reputation: 6683

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher383940 View Post
This is funny as HELL!! Okay, sorry I brought up the hills. I changed it to inclines because I have been to places like Cincinatti and WOW, I almost broke my ankle in heels trying to walk. LOL.

Some places in DC have INCLINES. Okay and done. But you all can keep it going cause I"m loving it.

The city in question is DC, not Cincinatti. If you want to start a thread that states, "Cincinatti is Hillier than DC and I almost broke my Ankle", go right ahead. Otherwise its just changing the subject. Or in your case, the vocabulary.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2010, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Springfield VA
4,036 posts, read 8,395,502 times
Reputation: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
The city in question is DC, not Cincinatti. If you want to start a thread that states, "Cincinatti is Hillier than DC and I almost broke my Ankle", go right ahead. Otherwise its just changing the subject. Or in your case, the vocabulary.
Alright class settle down let's listen to the Teacher. Incline is a great word. That would describe parts of DC pefectly. Even Capitol Hill with "hill" in the title is relatively flat. There's the "incline" that leads to the capitol building hence the "hill" in the neighborhood's title but that's about it.

Also in her defense she is staying on topic. Compared to some parts of the midwest DC is "hilly" in comparison but when compared to the other parts of the country Cincinnatti, being a great example, DC is not hilly. It contains hills and indeed small valleys but that alone doesn't qualify it as hilly particularly when compared to cities such as: San Francisco, Seattle, Pittsburgh, and the aforementioned Cincinnatti.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2010, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Springfield VA
4,036 posts, read 8,395,502 times
Reputation: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher383940 View Post
This is funny as HELL!! Okay, sorry I brought up the hills. I changed it to inclines because I have been to places like Cincinatti and WOW, I almost broke my ankle in heels trying to walk. LOL.

Some places in DC have INCLINES. Okay and done. But you all can keep it going cause I"m loving it.

Being a dude I never realized that a woman would have trouble walking up and down hills in high heels. I learned something. Neat.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2010, 10:08 AM
 
11,145 posts, read 14,442,619 times
Reputation: 4209
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Alright class settle down let's listen to the Teacher. Incline is a great word. That would describe parts of DC pefectly. Even Capitol Hill with "hill" in the title is relatively flat. There's the "incline" that leads to the capitol building hence the "hill" in the neighborhood's title but that's about it.

Also in her defense she is staying on topic. Compared to some parts of the midwest DC is "hilly" in comparison but when compared to the other parts of the country Cincinnatti, being a great example, DC is not hilly. It contains hills and indeed small valleys but that alone doesn't qualify it as hilly particularly when compared to cities such as: San Francisco, Seattle, Pittsburgh, and the aforementioned Cincinnatti.
Thank you. That was my only point. I can't believe how upset he's getting. No one's ever said it's void of hills, but I've never heard DC referred to as hilly. Pittsburgh is a great example of a hilly city. Very different.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2010, 10:28 AM
 
12,714 posts, read 18,457,897 times
Reputation: 6683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Thank you. That was my only point. I can't believe how upset he's getting. No one's ever said it's void of hills, but I've never heard DC referred to as hilly. Pittsburgh is a great example of a hilly city. Very different.
I thought you were not going to respond again?

DC is a hilly city. Pittsburgh is hillier. Sort of like the Rockies are big mountains but the Himalayas are bigger.

That should elucidate things.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2010, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Springfield VA
4,036 posts, read 8,395,502 times
Reputation: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I thought you were not going to respond again?

DC is a hilly city. Pittsburgh is hillier. Sort of like the Rockies are big mountains but the Himalayas are bigger.

That should elucidate things.
LOL I thought I said listen to the Teacher. You get an F.

DC is not hilly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2010, 11:52 AM
 
12,714 posts, read 18,457,897 times
Reputation: 6683
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
LOL I thought I said listen to the Teacher. You get an F.

DC is not hilly.
The evidence, topographical as well as visual, clearly shows that it is. Since the existence of a city within a valley does not prove the obvious, I reckon it is you who has earned the F.

Now, as not one shred of counter evidence has been presented, let's sum it up:

Grand Forks is Flat

Washington DC is Hilly
New York City is Hilly (Manhattan means "island of many hills")

Pittsburgh is Really Hilly
San Francisco is Really Hilly

Denver is Mile High


I grew up here Terrence. You can't win this one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2010, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Dudes in brown flip-flops
660 posts, read 1,552,902 times
Reputation: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
The evidence, topographical as well as visual, clearly shows that it is. Since the existence of a city within a valley does not prove the obvious, I reckon it is you who has earned the F.

Now, as not one shred of counter evidence has been presented, let's sum it up:

Grand Forks is Flat

Washington DC is Hilly
New York City is Hilly (Manhattan means "island of many hills")

Pittsburgh is Really Hilly
San Francisco is Really Hilly

Denver is Mile High


I grew up here Terrence. You can't win this one.
I grew up here as well, and agree with Terrence. There is such a thing as neither pancake flat nor hilly, and DC fits that description. Just because a place has streams and a river or two doesn't mean that there are valleys.

If you're going to call NYC hilly, then yes, DC is hilly. I've never met a New Yorker who would say that, though. Maybe we can get a native New Yorker here to agree, thus ending this super enlightening discussion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2010, 12:20 PM
 
12,714 posts, read 18,457,897 times
Reputation: 6683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
I grew up here as well, and agree with Terrence. There is such a thing as neither pancake flat nor hilly, and DC fits that description. Just because a place has streams and a river or two doesn't mean that there are valleys.

If you're going to call NYC hilly, then yes, DC is hilly. I've never met a New Yorker who would say that, though. Maybe we can get a native New Yorker here to agree, thus ending this super enlightening discussion.
And you are factually incorrect as well.

DC is located in a Valley which itself has lesser valleys. The city is characterized by numerous hills as well as ravines. I have named a great many of them, but apparently nobody has noticed.

And I did not say that a river automatically meant there was a valley. Grand Forks has a river, but not a hill or valley to its name. On the other extreme, San Francisco has no major river, is not in a valley, but is certainly very hilly. Come one man! Don't misquote me. Prove your point honestly.

New York most certainly is hilly. What of Sugar Hill, Fordham Hill, Rose Hill, Boerum Hill, Ocean Hill, Mt Eden, Todt Hill, and Park Slope to name a few? Good grief, there are loads of hills there.

Nobody is claiming that either is in the league of San Francisco or Rome. But to deny the obvious topographical characteristics strikes me as rather strange.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2010, 12:21 PM
 
11,145 posts, read 14,442,619 times
Reputation: 4209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I thought you were not going to respond again?

DC is a hilly city. Pittsburgh is hillier. Sort of like the Rockies are big mountains but the Himalayas are bigger.

That should elucidate things.
You were exceedingly rude to me, so it was important for me to triumphantly return to prove you wrong.

The fact that you're listing Manhattan as a "hilly city" (or part of a city) simply proves your definition of hilly and everybody else's are simply different. And, yes, I know it gets more hilly on the northern end of Manhattan, but still a FAR cry from a hilly place and I've never heard a New Yorker ever mention the hills. I think if you moved away from here and lived in genuinely hilly city, you'd understand.

Anyway. Remains a silly argument, but at least we can find some consensus that DC has hills but is far from a hilly city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:46 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top