U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 06:22 PM

11,817 posts, read 17,549,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
There have been lots of articles in the Washington Newspapers recently about the upcoming budget battles that are coming to Washington DC. If the Republicans come in to power expect some serious cuts to the Federal Budget. Also the Defense Department is cutting back on its contracts to local consulting firms and trying to be more efficent on how they do things. This will involve moving lots of the defense related jobs out of the DC area.

Actually the Washington DC area has become even more dependent on government spending and government contracting in recent years. Once America finally starts cutting federal spending-- look out DC!
I don't think I have ever heard of Republicans getting in office and Defense being cut. Usually defense spending goes up significantly.

You might be right about more spending outside of DC though. I've lived in Asia for years, and defense spending abroad is astronomical. Especially over here in Japan, Korea, etc. where I've been living. I imagine they probably would expand significantly and they already spend astronomical numbers over here. So, maybe the percentage-wise numbers would skew looking like DC is less proportionately, but really just increasing substantially abroad as it usually does.

I don't know if all the stuff they've built in Iraq goes under defense spending or not. But the U.S. Embassy they built in Baghdad is fairly massive. I read it even has its own movie theater cinemas, its own fire department and like a little village almost, all constantly secured by our military. I would imagine much more building of 'stuff' in Iraq would increase again under Republican leadership. When Bush started that, we were building massive orphanages and everything else. McCain wanting to be 100 years in Iraq, probably means substantial defense going in to sustain all the spending we're doing over there. So, maybe you're right if Republicans get elected, more defense jobs will increase substantially abroad even much more.

So, yeah, in weird ways, you are probably right.

Don't let Tea Party propoganda lie to you about Republicans NOT spending money. They increase the government substantially everytime they get elected, and defense is one of their favorite places to spend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 06:34 PM

384 posts, read 512,607 times
Dear "The Outcast",

No reason to panic! DC has numerous non-profits, universities, cable networks, and organizations like the World Bank and IMF. So I think DC will be allright.

No reason to donate your oxford and start an organic farm or anything.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:56 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,452,756 times
I don't think we're dealing with a particularly sophisticated prediction here.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:12 PM

9,986 posts, read 8,347,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud_Kaplan View Post
Yeah, right. The only job growth in the country is for Uncle Sam. More and more people will compete to live here out of economic necessity.
Actually, you are wrong. Despite what propaganda may have told you, the job numbers show job losses for government employees and job increases for the private sector pretty consistently over the past several months.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:14 PM

9,986 posts, read 8,347,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsfanatic View Post
Ummm....only about 15% of all Fed Govt jobs are in the DC area. Far too many people equate DC and Federal Workforce as one in the same.

Would any cuts in govt. spending be proportional to this area, ie. 15% of all fed job cuts be here and 85% the rest of the country? I don't know.

Has the DC area become more dependent on federal spending as opposed to less? Again, I don't know, but if it has, thank the doofus transients for that.
Well, considering DC was created out of nothing to do nothing but depend on federal spending, it's not really these "doofus transients" who are causing problems. If this city weren't full of transients, it wouldn't be functioning like the government city it was meant to be. Perhaps you'd be better off blaming George Washington.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:56 AM

248 posts, read 345,002 times
In my opinion, it's going to be very hard to really slash government spending to the point where the dc economy crashes. Everyone knows that slashing government spending would hurt our economy overall since it would vastly increase the jobless rate.

The only way I see this happening is if an extreme, catastrophic event where to happen. Examples would be a total government collapse, nuke in dc, or a coup d'état.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:17 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,124,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandoras View Post
Dear "The Outcast",
No reason to panic! DC has numerous non-profits.
Which don't do well in recessions -- no one's giving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandoras View Post
organizations like the World Bank and IMF..
which exist only due to goverment alms.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:06 AM

9,400 posts, read 7,181,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuric View Post
In my opinion, it's going to be very hard to really slash government spending to the point where the dc economy crashes. Everyone knows that slashing government spending would hurt our economy overall since it would vastly increase the jobless rate.

The only way I see this happening is if an extreme, catastrophic event where to happen. Examples would be a total government collapse, nuke in dc, or a coup d'état.
I feel like if any of those things happen, the last thing I'll be worrying about is whether I'll lose my job.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:14 PM

822 posts, read 847,609 times
It's not quantity of federal spending that bothers me, it is how the government budgets its money and the lax oversight of federal contracts. There are serious billions of federal tax dollars being p*ssed away on senseless defense, homeland security and infrastructure projects.

Military contractors have been making out like bandits since 2001. The lobby shops are booming thanks to lax federal election campaign rules. Growth has exploded in the defense/HS contracting and political lobbying business since the start of the George W. Bush administration. Coin-ki-dink, here?

Corporations (domestic and foreign) are pumping more money into legal/lobbying shops because regulations, taxes and anti-trade measures scare the living hell out of them. Wall Street has pretty much succeeded in blocking tough financial reform laws. Anyone do a count of how many registered lobbyists work on behalf of the Big Banks, hedge fund groups, and Wall Street investment firms? I bet that digit is pretty high.

Going back to the military contractors, do NOT underestimate how major local corporations like SAIC, Lockheed Martin, BAE Systems, CACI, and SRA International influence the DC region's economy. If there ever were serious reductions in defense spending, the region's unemployment rate would increase and housing prices would be flat. The upside: fewer Afghani civilians would be blown to smithereens by US manufactured bombs and missiles.

The DC economic engine relies on the business of Death (military spending) and the business of plutocratic exploitation of the American populace (political lobbying). The true epicenter of evil.

The defense contracting and influence peddling businesses should be washed away into history. Then again, this is the same as hoping for rainbows, unicorns, and Megan Fox sleeping in my bed.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:01 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,124,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
It's not quantity of federal spending that bothers me, it is how the government budgets its money and the lax oversight of federal contracts. There are serious billions of federal tax dollars being p*ssed away on senseless defense, homeland security and infrastructure projects.

Military contractors have been making out like bandits since 2001. The lobby shops are booming thanks to lax federal election campaign rules. Growth has exploded in the defense/HS contracting and political lobbying business since the start of the George W. Bush administration. Coin-ki-dink, here?

Corporations (domestic and foreign) are pumping more money into legal/lobbying shops because regulations, taxes and anti-trade measures scare the living hell out of them. Wall Street has pretty much succeeded in blocking tough financial reform laws. Anyone do a count of how many registered lobbyists work on behalf of the Big Banks, hedge fund groups, and Wall Street investment firms? I bet that digit is pretty high.

Going back to the military contractors, do NOT underestimate how major local corporations like SAIC, Lockheed Martin, BAE Systems, CACI, and SRA International influence the DC region's economy. If there ever were serious reductions in defense spending, the region's unemployment rate would increase and housing prices would be flat. The upside: fewer Afghani civilians would be blown to smithereens by US manufactured bombs and missiles.

The DC economic engine relies on the business of Death (military spending) and the business of plutocratic exploitation of the American populace (political lobbying). The true epicenter of evil.

The defense contracting and influence peddling businesses should be washed away into history. Then again, this is the same as hoping for rainbows, unicorns, and Megan Fox sleeping in my bed.
I tried to give you a rep point, but it won't let me give you anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC