Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 02:34 PM

54 posts, read 72,461 times

Advertisements

I had been thinking of moving to DC for school and then work after that, but when I visited DC for the second time, I experienced something that really rubbed me the wrong way. Everytime my friend and I attempted to cross a street where there was a crosswalk, none of the hundreds of cars stopped for us to be able to cross. I mean they didn't even think about stopping--didn't slow down at all. This is a serious offense where I live in the western part of the U.S. This experience indicated to me that the people in DC are really inconsiderate--I mean, really something else. Is this impression of mine correct? Are residents there generally selfish and unfriendly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 02:44 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
I lived in DC and loved it - still go back to visit frequently. You're right, though, that you can forget about crosswalks meaning anyone will actually stop for a pedestrian. And, IMO, although there are a lot of wonderful people in DC, overall I'd say you're likely to run into a larger % of selfish/unfriendly people than in other cities and towns where I've lived or visited often. Still, though, there's a lot that makes up for that

Old 10-23-2010, 02:51 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Vegas View Post
I had been thinking of moving to DC for school and then work after that, but when I visited DC for the second time, I experienced something that really rubbed me the wrong way. Everytime my friend and I attempted to cross a street where there was a crosswalk, none of the hundreds of cars stopped for us to be able to cross. I mean they didn't even think about stopping--didn't slow down at all. This is a serious offense where I live in the western part of the U.S. This experience indicated to me that the people in DC are really inconsiderate--I mean, really something else. Is this impression of mine correct? Are residents there generally selfish and unfriendly?
Las Vegas is considerably smaller and less busy compared to Washington, D.C. If you want to compare apples to apples, then check out how D.C. area drivers compare to Boston, Philadelphia or Chicago and get back to us.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:56 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
Quote:
On the east coast the car has the right of way. No one is going to stop for you at a crosswalk unless there's a stop sign too. And In Florida even if you have the green they will try to run you over by making a right turn on red anyway. You just have to get used to it.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:05 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
i'm getting kind of sick of the 'all the other kids are doing it' defense

That said, it is true that like most cities on the East Coast and hell probably everywhere, drivers do not give a damn about pedestrians. But pedestrians (and while we're at it, cyclists) also seem to not care for the rules of the road. I'd say 70% of all accidents involving a car and another party would be avoided if we made it harder to get a driver's license.

Anyway... @stars99, legally NO it does not have the right of way. In DC and Maryland and probably VA too, it is a state law to stop for pedestrians who are in a crosswalk. Cars DO have the right of way elsewhere, but their highest duty is to not hit a pedestrian. So while a driver's perfectly right to cuss out a pedestrian who's jaywalking, a driver has no right to not stop for a pedestrian who's legally crossing in a crosswalk.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:06 PM

Thanks for your replies, guys! I guess if it's an understood thing that no one stops for a pedestrian in a crosswalk, then I can maybe understand. If everyone is used to driving through a crosswalk and someone suddenly stopped for a pedestrian, it could cause the vehicle behind to rear-end the vehicle that stopped. That's understandable. Still might take a while for me to get used to the difference, but it sounds like it's not meant to be rude.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your replies, guys! I guess if it's an understood thing that no one stops for a pedestrian in a crosswalk, then I can maybe understand. If everyone is used to driving through a crosswalk and someone suddenly stopped for a pedestrian, it could cause the vehicle behind to rear-end the vehicle that stopped. That's understandable. Still might take a while for me to get used to the difference, but it sounds like it's not meant to be rude.
It would only cause that to happen if the mouth-breather in the second car is driving too close to the car ahead of him.

I recommend you try and stand your ground. Obviously get out of the way if the driver's definitely not gonna stop, but make sure these pricks get the message that when you're in a crosswalk, you have the right of way.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:13 PM

And Hurricane, I totally agree that it should be more difficult to get a driver's license. I was very badly injured in a car accident because, quite simply, there are so many mentally-challenged people on the road who have been given licenses, and one of them rear-ended me going 70 mph while I was at a stop. I will have to live in constant pain for the rest of my life, and I blame not the dimwit who hit me, but those who allowed him to operate a massive, fast moving object in the first place. I refuse to drive on our roads ever again unless there is more discretion in who is given a license. That is why I'm looking at moving to somewhere which has a good public transportation system.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:31 PM

Then there are few places better than DC for that, at least in the US. I'm sorry about your accident.

In fact when I think about it, it's kind of funny how people worry so much about crime when moving somewhere. Not that I blame them for it, I do too, but your chances of being shot by some gangbanger are way lower than your chances of being killed by some ****ing idiot who doesn't know how to drive, or who's drunk.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:10 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Actually, in contrast to what was posted earlier, pedestrians do have the right-of-way on the east coast and I can assure you that, at least in DC itself, people stop for pedestrians far more than any of the car-dependent west - especially that sprawling mess of Vegas (bicyclists don't - they're generally pricks, but you can force them around you if you have the right-of-way).

People will definitely stop at a stoplight intersection for pedestrians. If you're talking about a random mid-street crosswalk, they may not until you start walking out. You just force yourself in and, by law, they are required to stop and generally do once they see you coming. Just move one step at a time and give them a chance to see you.

All that said - it'd be silly to base your whole life decision on this minor point. DC's built / building one of the most progressive transportation systems in the country, having just launched the nation's largest bikeshare program and building many miles of bike lanes.

People walk in this city far more than anywhere I've ever seen out west, so I wouldn't worry. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC