U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-29-2010, 08:25 PM

11,484 posts, read 16,181,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Aureliano Buendía View Post
The US culinary tradition lags behind that of Europe when it comes to desserts. I never understood why do you like cupcakes or doughnuts. They are just sugar and no flavor.
I have to agree with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-29-2010, 10:33 PM

9,399 posts, read 6,613,711 times
Quote:
The US culinary tradition lags behind that of Europe when it comes to desserts. I never understood why do you like cupcakes or doughnuts. They are just sugar and no flavor. I know that even what we consider american is probably, to some extent, european. Apparently, cupcakes are famous in England and Ireland.
But try to compare these to say...canollis or tiramisu'. Or even authentic italian ice-cream.

P.S.
I purposely omitted apple pie and key-lime pie. American pie is delicious and I am addicted to it.
I completely disagree. I've tried many of these "gourmet cupcakes" and I find that the well-made ones have very nice flavors that go beyond simply sugar. The other day I had one that tasted like a mojito!

Furthermore, it seems gelato (as well as frozen custard) is becoming more and more popular around here, along with frozen yogurt (which admittedly isn't as... 'refined' as gelato, although I still find it tasty).

To each their own though.

Unread 11-06-2010, 05:29 PM

25 posts, read 27,201 times
Default Georgetown Cupcakes Are Gross

Sorry, I prefer Baltimore Cupcake Co. (If they would get their store together) Has much more flavor, moist cake, a REAL cupcake

Unread 11-09-2010, 08:43 AM

2,015 posts, read 1,588,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Why do people stand in line for hours for Georgetown Cupcake? I think the Red Velvet cupcakes from Giant are much better.
Some of those people in the picture need to go on a diet, to be honest.

Unread 11-09-2010, 03:57 PM

2,414 posts, read 2,980,342 times
Cake Love has the best deserts in DC

Unread 11-16-2010, 11:21 AM

939 posts, read 707,904 times
for more butter and sugar than a cupcake should have in the first place?

Unread 11-17-2010, 04:04 PM

13 posts, read 12,459 times
Quote:
The US culinary tradition lags behind that of Europe when it comes to desserts. I never understood why do you like cupcakes or doughnuts. They are just sugar and no flavor. I know that even what we consider american is probably, to some extent, european. Apparently, cupcakes are famous in England and Ireland.
But try to compare these to say...canollis or tiramisu'. Or even authentic italian ice-cream.

P.S.
I purposely omitted apple pie and key-lime pie. American pie is delicious and I am addicted to it.
I agree. I routinely cut the sugar in half in American baking recipes, and I still find them plenty sweet. I don't care for cupcakes (I don't like cakes too much in general), but I love American cheesecakes, pies, and brownies. With half the sugar.

Unread 11-17-2010, 04:10 PM

9,399 posts, read 6,613,711 times
how can you guys hate butter and sugar?

Unread 11-17-2010, 04:38 PM

13 posts, read 12,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
how can you guys hate butter and sugar?
I don't hate either butter or sugar, not at all. I don't even believe they are bad for you, unless used excessively. But American cakes and pastries are just too sweet.

(On that note, I've always wondered why people add sugar to sweet potatoes??)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC