Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:44 AM

22 posts, read 62,777 times

Advertisements

I have been set on applying into American University's Master's of Political Communication program since it the program was created. I will be applying in a few months and, if accepted, begin in the fall of 2011 straight of out undergrad.

From where I'm standing, attending a mostly-good rural state school in south Georgia, American seems like a fantastic school with unbelievable opportunities. I was able to visit the campus and meet with the director of the program and was absolutely blown away. But I recognize that everything in Washington is driven by competition and while American may be a better school than where I'm at now, it doesn't completely hold up to a master's degree from Georgetown or George Washington (schools I will not likely be accepted to and could never afford).

So my question is, are my perceptions of D.C. universities skewed? For those of you are familiar with the perceptions in Washington, does a degree from AU carry the same weight as one from other schools in the area?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 11:50 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,703,695 times
AU has a great rep. It will be worth the investment. Expensive though.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
AU has a great rep. It will be worth the investment. Expensive though.
Good to know. And yeah, I'm pretty much banking on being offered an assistantship or having to stick around here to work in a crappy job to save while I defer a year.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:04 PM

27,267 posts, read 28,333,820 times
American University is pretty solid overall. Also has good connections with GW and Georgetown.

Actually, most of the universities in the DC area have a good reputation, except for UDC. But I know folks who've landed good jobs even coming out of there.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
American University is pretty solid overall. Also has good connections with GW and Georgetown.

Actually, most of the universities in the DC area have a good reputation, except for UDC. But I know folks who've landed good jobs even coming out of there.
UDC grad school rep is better than it's undergrad for sure. The CC thing will help though.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:

George Mason is my backup. How is its reputation?

Old 11-05-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki_dw View Post
George Mason is my backup. How is its reputation?
George Mason a good rep. That is where I am in grad school at now. I am in the Public Policy program. We are rising fast. We are not Georgetown, AU or GWU yet but we are not that far behind. Especially when it comes to International Trade or Transportation Policy.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:17 PM

27,267 posts, read 28,333,820 times
It's possible to get much better value for the money at George Mason if you're in-state.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
It's possible to get much better value for the money at George Mason if you're in-state.
This is true.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
George Mason a good rep. That is where I am in grad school at now. I am in the Public Policy program. We are rising fast. We are not Georgetown, AU or GWU yet but we are not that far behind. Especially when it comes to International Trade or Transportation Policy.
Awesome. I'm applying into the Public Policy program as well.

Thanks for all of your opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC