U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-07-2010, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 781 times
Default About to move to DC/Baltimore HELP!

Hello everyone! I am a new member to the forum but having been reading it diligently for the past several weeks. My wife and I are contemplating a move to DC/Baltimore in the next 6 weeks or so and have many questions that I hope you DC BAltimore veterans may be able to help answer!

A bit about our situation. We currently live in a small town in West Virginia. My wife has been offered a very nice position in DC in the 1300 block of Pennsylvania Ave. I have a final interview this week for a position near Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. It is not ideals, we would have loved to find jobs in the same city, but in this economy to have the opportunity to both secure good jobs in th 40-45K range (we are almost 27) is not bad.

We are trying to decide how we would make this work. Neither of us would mind taking a train, and would prefer a longer train ride to a shorter commute with lots of line changing.

Our biggest factor, is that would would like to buy a multi-family house (a duplex or a triplex). I am a very experienced home renovator and rehabber, and want to be able to subsidize my mortgage payment with some rental income. We also hope that this potential income could help us get a place maybe in a nicer area. We don't mind it being a fixer-uper, that is what we love doing.

We like the idea of being closer to a downtown, rather than in a suburb, close to public transport, but we also want to be as efficient as possible with the commutes. We like to be close to a lot of action, some night life and lots of cultural events.

We have no children, so schools, at this point, are not that important to us. We do have a small dog, so a park or small patch of grass would be nice!

My specific questions are:
1) Where should we look for this type of housing, living situation/commute situation. DC? Baltimore? or somewhere in between?

2) What specific neighborhoods would work well for us?

3) Does anyone have experience owning a duplex or some other owner occupied rental property.

4) Any good resources of locating a real estate agent that could help us with this search.

5) Depending on your suggestions of where to live, how long will the commute be and what tpyes of transport are we looking at.

Any other advice/info would be VERY VERY helpful. We have been to DC and Baltimore many times, but still need LOTS of info. We still haven't decided 100% on whether we will do this or not, so you guys' opinnions and info will help us immesely! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 01:25 PM

503 posts, read 254,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samfordman View Post
5) Depending on your suggestions of where to live, how long will the commute be and what tpyes of transport are we looking at.

Any other advice/info would be VERY VERY helpful. We have been to DC and Baltimore many times, but still need LOTS of info. We still haven't decided 100% on whether we will do this or not, so you guys' opinnions and info will help us immesely! Thanks so much!
Ensure you work out the work transportation... if you are on "regular" hours, your travel can be murder. I have "irregular" hours (late guy) so I'm okay. lol

Old 11-08-2010, 06:18 PM

775 posts, read 1,448,977 times
Although your question would be rather lengthy to re-type: Have you also posted this in the "Maryland" or "Maryland suburbs" forum too?

Old 11-09-2010, 09:02 AM

76 posts, read 185,495 times
I would stay away from Baltimore city. Just read the Baltimore Sun. Baltimorians will make up all sort of excuses about crime happening in every city, they just dont realize that it happens more oftern in Scarymore or Bleed-some-more. And having lived there for 3years, I'm glad I maded it out alive. I recommend you look south of Baltimore, although it's very suburbanish, it's much safer and taxes are lower. If you want to live in the city, then look at Fells Point or Locust Point (although Bmore, its safer).

I used to take the MARC Camden line to Washington every day; took about 3 hours out of my life. Good luck.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:08 PM

775 posts, read 1,448,977 times
For information about the public transportation around both cities, click here:

Metro - Home page and here

http://mta.md.gov

When you say Johns Hopkins, do you mean the University (which is North Baltimore) or do you mean the Medical Center (which is in East Baltimore, on a metro subway line) ? Will you be working regular daytime hours ?

FYI, if your wife works in the 1300 block Penn Ave NW, in Washington, that is near the Metro Center metrorail station. The MARC trains from MD all end at Union Station, then she will have something over a mile further on the red line subway to Metro Center staton and then a couple blocks walk to her office.

If you two are looking for multi-family housing, you might consider looking in the giant "planned" community of Columbia, MD; or Greenbelt, MD; or North Laurel, MD; or even Annapolis, MD (Annapolis has great character and a lot of festive and cultural activities, and has MTA commuter busses to both Wash. and Balto.). I think of Bowie, MD and Crofton, MD on the other hand as having primarily single-family detached homes -- someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also, note that housing prices/ rents are lower generally in Prince Georges County than in Montgomery County. If you have further questions, please ask.

Last edited by slowlane; 11-10-2010 at 06:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC