Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2010, 02:05 AM

49 posts, read 162,647 times

Advertisements

Hi,

considering a transfer from working in annapolis to working in DC.

Coming from Rt. 4, Dunkirk. destination would be between the Capitol and Indiana Avenue.

which is better: Rt 4 to Suitland Pkwy, then into DC? or getting onto the Metro at Suitland?

factors: would need to be in office by 8 a.m., so which commute would be easier? leaving time is variable, 4:30 to 5:30-ish.

how bad does Rt 4 back up as you approach Suitland Parkway?

thanks.
kaydeb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 06:01 PM

845 posts, read 2,831,007 times
You need to ask this question in the "Life in Southern Maryland" forum. Life in Southern Maryland - Southern Maryland Community Forums

Old 11-11-2010, 07:11 PM

384 posts, read 1,029,330 times
In the morning, Suitland Parkway going towards DC is very hectic.

Given the choice, I would just drive into DC. I don't think you would gain much by parking at Suitland and taking metro to the Capitol area.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:29 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydeb View Post
Hi,

considering a transfer from working in annapolis to working in DC.

Coming from Rt. 4, Dunkirk. destination would be between the Capitol and Indiana Avenue.

which is better: Rt 4 to Suitland Pkwy, then into DC? or getting onto the Metro at Suitland?

factors: would need to be in office by 8 a.m., so which commute would be easier? leaving time is variable, 4:30 to 5:30-ish.

how bad does Rt 4 back up as you approach Suitland Parkway?

thanks.
kaydeb
I work in Suitland and when I get on Route 4 towards Upper Marlboro to go home/run errands, the traffic is pretty backed up. Not in a you-will-wait a few hours bad, but more like a extra 20-30 minutes to your commute. Once you pass the Suitland Parkway exit traffic usually picks up because it is an expressway at that point, so the traffic on Route 4 coming home shouldn't be too bad for you if you drive that way. I agree that taking the metro probably won't change much.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:12 AM

845 posts, read 2,831,007 times
Indiana Avenue, if I recall correctly, is a short street, just east of the National Archives station (it's the site of D.C. traffic court -- and also close to the AARP building, the Newseum, and Canadian Embassy).

Metrorail's Green Line from Suitland goes directly to National Archives station, then you may have a few blocks walk to wherever exactly your office is.

Like I just told you, go the "Life in Southern Maryland" website, and in their search box, type in "Suitland Parkway" and I'm sure you will find discussion of this same question.

Last edited by slowlane; 11-13-2010 at 05:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC