U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 08:54 PM

117 posts, read 108,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
They only hate it because someone on Keith Oberman/Maddow etc told them they were supposed to hate it.
haha. Repped!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 09:01 AM

1,944 posts, read 1,904,650 times
As a liberal, I love Wal-Mart, and notice that a lot of liberals dislike Wal-Mart out of elitist snobbery against all things Middle America or popular Americana. Liberal snobs tend to think anything popular amongst average, masses of Americans is bad.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:31 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 2,097,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
As a liberal, I love Wal-Mart, and notice that a lot of liberals dislike Wal-Mart out of elitist snobbery against all things Middle America or popular Americana. Liberal snobs tend to think anything popular amongst average, masses of Americans is bad.
I am a moderate dem and I love Wally world.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:31 PM

3,548 posts, read 4,910,885 times
Quote:
Liberal snobs tend to think anything popular amongst average, masses of Americans is bad.
Generalize much?

I avoid shopping at places like Wal-Mart and Target because they tend to sell cheap, crappy merchandise, and I can afford to purchase better-quality clothing, furniture, shoes and housewares elsewhere. But I can certainly see a market for Wal-Mart in DC, and the development looks nice enough. So long as they pay their workers the prevailing wage and treat them fairly, as far as I'm concerned they should be welcomed here.

And since we're discussing Wal-Mart, should I assume that the Supreme Court has been watching Olbermann and Maddow recently? http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/07/bu...7bizcourt.html

Old 12-07-2010, 03:18 PM

9,400 posts, read 7,658,948 times
Quote:
That's your Lexus Liberal, a common sight in this area

Old 12-09-2010, 02:36 PM

2,300 posts, read 1,593,265 times
Quote:
Usually liberals are educated. If you don't know how Wal-Mart destroys the competition, indirectly ships jobs to China, treats many employees like crap, and sells a ton of cheap crap, there is another party for you.

So what would you rather have, a row of charming mom & pop boutiques or that huge ugly building and parking lot?

Old 12-09-2010, 05:08 PM

3,548 posts, read 4,910,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
So what would you rather have, a row of charming mom & pop boutiques or that huge ugly building and parking lot?
A - I don't think the proposed building looks that bad when compared to other modern developments throughout the city;

B - What it's replacing is a gravel-strewn lot, not a row of anything, thus any development on the space would be a larger new development whose commercial lease rates would likely be cost-prohibitive to mom-and-pop boutiques; and

C - Wal-Mart will provide far more employment and service opportunities to a broader cross-section of District residents than a row of boutiques.

This progressive liberal is well aware of Wal-Mart's business and labor practices, and they're certainly not worthy of admiration. But DC isn't some utopia populated only with locally owned independent retailers and well-heeled consumers, it's a diverse city that must serve the needs of all of its residents in order to function. Target isn't a model of corporate purity, yet its presence in Columbia Heights has largely been a positive force, both directly within the neighborhood and beyond it. DC is populated with commercial entities whose corporate practices, at some level, leave much to be desired. But they provide a service to the local community as well.

I think it'd be great if everyone ate only organically grown, fair trade food--but McDonald's fills a niche too.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:39 PM

791 posts, read 1,547,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imalert View Post
I wonder why neither Georgetown or Dupont Circle areas were never chosen?

Are you kidding me? There is no vacant land at all near Dupont Circle or Georgetown to a accommodate such a gigantic building, and if there were, the land would be astronomically expensive, it would violate the historical architecture, raise an outcry from residents, and there would be no room for parking.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:55 AM

248 posts, read 367,147 times
I think Wal-Mart coming to DC is another step in Wal-Mart's ultimate goal of world domination. Soon, we will fear Wal-Mart much more than we fear Iran or North Korea, even if they ally together. Soon, the CEO of Wal-Mart will have more power and influence over world events than the president of the United States.

It's all in the plan. Coming to DC is part of their plan to overthrow the federal government and eventually conquer the United States.

They are even taking over Africa as we speak.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/wal...ion-2010-09-27

Old 12-10-2010, 08:23 AM

8,479 posts, read 5,904,750 times
I dont like to shop at walmart much, and I have issues with some of their policies, but for the poor parts of DC, walmart is probably a good thing.

what 14th and you said, basically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC