U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-22-2010, 07:39 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,327,985 times

Advertisements

^ you know that's not what I mean bluefly
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 07:46 PM

7,819 posts, read 5,225,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Again, there is no double standard and it has nothing to do with what;s convenient to me. It's simple common sense, kid. Revitalizing areas we've already developed is 1000x smarter than plowing through new areas unncecessarily. Done.
Why can't they do both. I assume you are from here. D.C. is building just as much as the rest of the region. New developments and high rises are under construction or planned to be built. D.C. already looks totally different and will only change even more over the next decade. The long term goal of the city is to increase the population back to over 800,000. They will continue to revitalize and build high rises expanding downtown to encompass more and more of the city with residential high rises to create more density and increase the tax base. With projects like City Center DC breaking ground in the spring, the city will again start the massive overhaul it has seen the last decade. We are working together not against each other. D.C. is very unique in that the suburbs are different states than the district. But we need to work together to make this the best metropolitan area in the country. Our goal should be to rival New York, London, Tokoyo, and Chicago.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Why can't they do both. I assume you are from here. D.C. is building just as much as the rest of the region. New developments and high rises are under construction or planned to be built. D.C. already looks totally different and will only change even more over the next decade. The long term goal of the city is to increase the population back to over 800,000. They will continue to revitalize and build high rises expanding downtown to encompass more and more of the city with residential high rises to create more density and increase the tax base. With projects like City Center DC breaking ground in the spring, the city will again start the massive overhaul it has seen the last decade. We are working together not against each other. D.C. is very unique in that the suburbs are different states than the district. But we need to work together to make this the best metropolitan area in the country. Our goal should be to rival New York, London, Tokoyo, and Chicago.
Apparently it's some paranoia about "job poaching", as if every good job needs to be located within the beltway. Probably some concern that the gentrification will come unglued if people see the attractions of Gburg, Stafford etc.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:09 PM

12,344 posts, read 13,942,640 times
Here's my Transit / Rail plan for the DC - Baltimore .....i think its really good to limit growth to Transit corridors. Hopefully it will stop the destruction of the rural areas of Maryland & Virgina. I do see the DC-Baltimore Transit usage over taking my region by 2020.

NOVA-DC-MD-DE 2050 Rail / Transit plan - Google Maps

Old 11-22-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Here's my Transit / Rail plan for the DC - Baltimore .....i think its really good to limit growth to Transit corridors. Hopefully it will stop the destruction of the rural areas of Maryland & Virgina. I do see the DC-Baltimore Transit usage over taking my region by 2020.

Why does someone in New Jersey have such special interest in the DMV?

Old 11-22-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
Why does someone in New Jersey have such special interest in the DMV?
I rail / transit fan , i love the Northeast. I due a bit of Transit blogging and think tank projects of regions in the Northeast. The DC region is glowing with activity so i'm attracted to it. I also have family down there in Nova and Maryland.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:18 PM

13,013 posts, read 19,886,523 times
Quote:
I rail / transit fan , i love the Northeast. I due a bit of Transit blogging and think tank projects of regions in the Northeast. The DC region is glowing with activity so i'm attracted to it.
Good to hear!

Old 11-22-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:

Wow....you think D.C. will overtake New York City transit by 2020. I don't think that will happen. Not enough people. The D.C. area is already number 2 in metro ridership. Actually, the DC metro has more riders than the Chicago L and Chicago Metra combined.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:50 PM

All these are from the Q2 2010 report....D.C. metro and New York Subway are the only systems with over 1 million riders daily

Heavy Rail:

Rank.............System.............Largest city served.......Average Weekday ridership.....Route length
1...........New York City Subway........New York City................7,922,600...................22 9 mi
2...........WMATA Metrorail...............Washington, D.C..............1,044,400..................106.3 mi
3............CTA 'L'............................Chicago............ ..............684,500.....................107.5 mi
4............MBTA..............................Bos ton...........................496,200............. ........38 mi
5............BART..............................Bay Area........................347,700............... .....104 mi
6............SEPTA............................Phil adelphia.....................327,200.............. ......25 mi
7.............PATH.............................New York City..................251,000...................13 .8 mi
8.............MARTA..............................A tlanta........................246,000............. ......47.6 mi
9......LA County Metro Rail...............Los Angeles.....................155,500............... ....17.4 mi
10..........Metrorail............................. Miami...........................61,200............ .......22 mi
11...Baltimore Metro Subway..............Baltimore..................... ..54,700....................15.5 mi

Commuter Rail:

Rank..........System.................Largest city served...................Ridership(average weekday)
1...........Long Island Rail Road..........New York................................340,900
2...............Metra............................C hicago..................................304,700
3.........New Jersey Transit Rail........New York / Philadelphia..............291,428
4......MTA Metro-North Railroad...........New York..............................286,900
5........MBTA Commuter Rail................Boston........................ .........129,900
6.........SEPTA Regional Rail..............Philadelphia.................... .........120,700
7..........Metrolink............................Lo s Angeles.............................40,300
8..........Caltrain........................San Francisco / San Jose.................39,300
9........MARC Train..................Baltimore / Washington, D.C...............33,300
10...Virginia Railway Express.........Washington, D.C..........................17,300

Last edited by MDAllstar; 11-23-2010 at 12:16 AM..

Old 11-23-2010, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Wow....you think D.C. will overtake New York City transit by 2020. I don't think that will happen. Not enough people. The D.C. area is already number 2 in metro ridership. Actually, the DC metro has more riders than the Chicago L and Chicago Metra combined.
Should have said 2030 , but yes i do see it happening. But with the DC Metro , i also factor in the Light Rail and Streetcar numbers , so lets just say DC Regional Rail usage. I think DC's Light Rail lines will over take Boston's Green line within a decade. As for your Commuter Rail , my state will always have a higher usage then MARC and VRE combined. But we also have a larger system , i do see train times coming down on every line to 60 mins off peak and 20-30min peak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC