Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 09:59 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,418,615 times

Advertisements

So me and some friends (All floridians) are planning to visit DC and probably stay there for 2-3 days. Were planning to take the autotrain from Sanford FL, to Lorton VA and possibly either bring a car or our motorcycles. Were more about sight seeing and taking pictures thats it. Which one is better to bring to DC? We just plan to park at certain places, or maybe just park somewhere and walk and take the trains. Were complete newbies to DC so any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 06:53 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,128 times
I don't understand. You say you're going to take the train but then you mention bringing your car or bikes?

What I would do in your situation is either stay in Arlington and take the metro into DC each day. Or stay in DC (would be more expensive than staying outside).

The metro is pretty easy to understand so take advantage of it and buy a day pass or week pass (not sure if they have a week one).

I suggest you plan out the trip though if you want to get the most of it. There is so much to see in DC and if you go into the city just trying to absorb everything you'll miss out on a few things because there is just so much to do. Maybe hit up all the museums on the mall one day. Then another day go to the Zoo and Arlington Cemetary. That's how I did things one weekend. Even then you'll still miss out on a lot because of so much to do. You really need to get a list of the things to see, decide which ones you want to see and mark them on a map so that you can hit certain areas to make the most out of your time there.

Keep in mind most hotels you can't check in till about 3 and must check out at 11-12 so a lot of the museums will be closing between 5-6 so if you're counting one of those days as a tourist type day. You won't be able to see much if you don't start until after checking in the hotel.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I don't understand. You say you're going to take the train but then you mention bringing your car or bikes?

What I would do in your situation is either stay in Arlington and take the metro into DC each day. Or stay in DC (would be more expensive than staying outside).

The metro is pretty easy to understand so take advantage of it and buy a day pass or week pass (not sure if they have a week one).

I suggest you plan out the trip though if you want to get the most of it. There is so much to see in DC and if you go into the city just trying to absorb everything you'll miss out on a few things because there is just so much to do. Maybe hit up all the museums on the mall one day. Then another day go to the Zoo and Arlington Cemetary. That's how I did things one weekend. Even then you'll still miss out on a lot because of so much to do. You really need to get a list of the things to see, decide which ones you want to see and mark them on a map so that you can hit certain areas to make the most out of your time there.

Keep in mind most hotels you can't check in till about 3 and must check out at 11-12 so a lot of the museums will be closing between 5-6 so if you're counting one of those days as a tourist type day. You won't be able to see much if you don't start until after checking in the hotel.
Yeah were going to use the Amtrak Autotrain to board either a car or our bikes onboard.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:31 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace587 View Post
Yeah were going to use the Amtrak Autotrain to board either a car or our bikes onboard.

oh okay I did not even know there was such a think. No point in bringing a car though. I want to even say there is not much point in bringing bikes. Just walk around and take the metro.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
oh okay I did not even know there was such a think. No point in bringing a car though. I want to even say there is not much point in bringing bikes. Just walk around and take the metro.
Metro it is. Thanks!

Old 11-24-2010, 04:42 PM

844 posts, read 2,829,325 times
My family and I have ridden the Autotrain with our vehicles, several times. Although the Autotrain is the best and most highly rated of Amtrak's many routes, with more dependable on-time service than other routes, I would still skip bringing a personal vehicle to sightsee in Washington. Just stay in DC or Arlington and ride around on metrorail. Especially considering the DC area overall has the nation's second worst traffic congestion, according to Amer Auto Assoc annual rankings the past several years.

I cannot emphasize how much there is to see in Washington, most of the museums and monuments being free of charge. You all should stay in town additional days, to make the cost of your train fare worthwhile. Be aware that Amtrak is strict in not allowing you schedule changes or giving refunds.

Information about metrorail is here: Metro - Home page Be warned that suburban parking lots fill up VERY early on Mon - Thurs mornings and not quite as badly Fridays.
Here is information on Virginia Railway Express, which runs commuter trains even further south, but they are expensive
http://www.vre.org

Here is information about the Smithsonian group of museums Smithsonian Institution which are all free of charge, and located mostly close together on the National Mall (green park).

You can get more information that you could ever want about visiting the area, here Reviews of Hotels, Flights and Vacation Rentals - TripAdvisor then click on "United States" and then on District of Columbia".

Last edited by slowlane; 11-24-2010 at 04:51 PM..

Old 11-24-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
My family and I have ridden the Autotrain with our vehicles, several times. Although the Autotrain is the best and most highly rated of Amtrak's many routes, with more dependable on-time service than other routes, I would still skip bringing a personal vehicle to sightsee in Washington. Just stay in DC or Arlington and ride around on metrorail. Especially considering the DC area overall has the nation's second worst traffic congestion, according to Amer Auto Assoc annual rankings the past several years.

I cannot emphasize how much there is to see in Washington, most of the museums and monuments being free of charge. You all should stay in town additional days, to make the cost of your train fare worthwhile. Be aware that Amtrak is strict in not allowing you schedule changes or giving refunds.

Information about metrorail is here: Metro - Home page Be warned that suburban parking lots fill up VERY early on Mon - Thurs mornings and not quite as badly Fridays.
Here is information on Virginia Railway Express, which runs commuter trains even further south, but they are expensive
Rail service in Virginia - VRE

Here is information about the Smithsonian group of museums Smithsonian Institution which are all free of charge, and located mostly close together on the National Mall (green park).

You can get more information that you could ever want about visiting the area, here Reviews of Hotels, Flights and Vacation Rentals - TripAdvisor then click on "United States" and then on District of Columbia".
Sweet! Thanks Slowlane definitely bookmarking those links

Old 11-24-2010, 08:57 PM

27,531 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Some sites to visit:

White House
Washington Monument
U.S. Capitol
Lincoln Memorial
Jefferson Memorial
Supreme Court
Library of Congress
Air and Space Museum
Natural History Museum
National Gallery of Art
Holocaust Memorial Museum
Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Georgetown Historic District
National Cathedral
Pentagon
Arlington Cemetery
Kennedy Center

I recommend taking a tour of the White House and U.S. Capitol. But you need to contact your Senator or Congressperson's office to do so.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:15 AM

24 posts, read 60,080 times
We are also planning a trip to DC this summer and think we know what we are doing, but my 9 year old son also wants to see the Statue of Liberty this summer.

Is there a group/tour bus, train, etc that would transport from DC? We could rent a car, but I would rather not drive ourselves. We are from Illinois and it would be nice to go to both places during our vacation.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:00 PM

607 posts, read 1,216,390 times
@ Sharebear, I'm not sure about group tours, but it's really easy to get from DC to NYC on the bus or the train and it'll be cheaper and easier than renting a car. Check out Megabus.com, vamoosebus.com or boltbus.com for bus tickets and Amtrak for the train. There are lots of other bus companies, but those seem to be the most reliable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC