Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 04:34 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,714,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
While I appreciate your guys' dating advice, I can handle my life in that area. I was simply curious about the parts of DC in question. Thanks though.....
Meh, considering how many threads there are saying how the people here suck and it's hard to meet someone, I think you'll be fine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 05:52 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,376 times
Thanks juniper

Old 11-29-2010, 11:24 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,868,372 times
FYI, GULC is basically in a business part of town without many residential buildings nearby. It is also 1 block away from a homeless shelter and within a mile of several public housing units. So it isn't the best area to be walking around at night.

Because of this, the law school provides a shuttle that goes to metro station at Union Station. So most students just find a place within walking distance of a metro.

I don't think I met any students that lived in Capitol Hill because the housing stock is mostly tiny basement apartments or large 3 bedroom rowhouses. Plus, you have to walk a great distance to get to GULC.

I would say that most of the "wealthy" students I've met lived in either Dupont Circle, Cleveland Park, or Tenleytown, which are all off the redline in NW DC. Some also lived in the new high rise apartments in Penn Quarter or just north of it along Mass. avenue. I've been told those aren't great places to live because there are a lack of local services like grocery stores and stuff like that, plus those areas kind of still border some sketchy areas.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:34 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,535 times
I guess the biggest thing would be 2 cats. Most places in DC have a limitation on pets. I think you could slide in with just reporting 1 cat, but who knows.

My best bet would be to find somewhere in Arlington VA in a group house. That seems to be the most logical way. You could take the metro to DC without any problem and social life in Arlington is pretty good.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
FYI, GULC is basically in a business part of town without many residential buildings nearby. It is also 1 block away from a homeless shelter and within a mile of several public housing units. So it isn't the best area to be walking around at night.

Because of this, the law school provides a shuttle that goes to metro station at Union Station. So most students just find a place within walking distance of a metro.

I don't think I met any students that lived in Capitol Hill because the housing stock is mostly tiny basement apartments or large 3 bedroom rowhouses. Plus, you have to walk a great distance to get to GULC.

I would say that most of the "wealthy" students I've met lived in either Dupont Circle, Cleveland Park, or Tenleytown, which are all off the redline in NW DC. Some also lived in the new high rise apartments in Penn Quarter or just north of it along Mass. avenue. I've been told those aren't great places to live because there are a lack of local services like grocery stores and stuff like that, plus those areas kind of still border some sketchy areas.

Thanks for the insight, I really appreciate that. Living in Dupont Circle sounds like the best bet for her (even though she is NOT wealthy). If she ends up going, she'll have to make some sacrifices for christ sakes. Women, I swear. Always want exactly what they want, when they want it

Thanks again....

Old 11-29-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
I guess the biggest thing would be 2 cats. Most places in DC have a limitation on pets. I think you could slide in with just reporting 1 cat, but who knows.

My best bet would be to find somewhere in Arlington VA in a group house. That seems to be the most logical way. You could take the metro to DC without any problem and social life in Arlington is pretty good.

Yeah it's the same deal here in NY with the cats. You just tell em it's one, and you can slide on in for the most part. It's probably like that everywhere in the country.

When it comes to a house share, I dunno if she'd go for that. After living with only me for so long it may not work for her.

And a social life?! You kiddin me? I don't want her having that!!

J/K

Old 11-29-2010, 12:08 PM

Here is how I predict this. It's bitter, but true. She'll move here, all alone, with her cats (or cat), living in a strange city with nothing to do but work, eat, drink and have sex (after all of the tourist things are done and over with). Sure, you guys say it's only 4 hour drive, and you'll see each other every weekend, but you never do. Then her phone calls every night will drop to a phone call every other day, then to a long email, then a simple text message, then next thing you know, she stops calling you or returning your emails. Then you visit her on a whim to surprise her just to find that she's found someone smarter, funnier, better looking, better family and more money than you do. You go back to NYC after a cold awakening, feeling betrayed, hopeless and useless with self doubt, starts drink heavily for a while, questioning yourself, have unprotected sex with a lot of strangers that you don't know, get treated for few STD's then you sober up and try to live a good life, and eventually you find someone who comforts the new and broken you, but little did you know, your ex-gf had a change of heart and starts to think about you a lot, she graduates and eventually moves to NYC and you guys meet on the street, and fall back in love again. Little did she know, you have a evil plot to destroy her heart like she did on you, and you do break her heart, bit by bit, over a long and torturous period of time, eventually tripling your pain on to her, because the new you isn't the old sweet and naive you anymore. It's more cynical, yet so much more sophisticated. Then she goes into a wave of self-destruction where she drinks heavily and sleeps with a lot of strangers but thing about her is that she never recovers, and she eventually loses her job, her friends and goes in to a crazy house. But the thing you didn't know was, that baby was your baby, and she lied to you when she said she had an abortion. You only find out about this after the fact after you've done all the despicable things to her, when she's in the crazy house, when the man from DC visits her with a baby, and tells you about what happened, that your gf never told you about, because she thought it was for the better. Then you go into a spiral of pain because you destroyed the only thing that you ever loved in your life. At the end, you end up with the baby, with no mother, no love, living in NYC, always picturing the happier times before all of this, and afraid of ever loving anyone else, trapped in a city full of memories, just like everyone who walks the streets next to you with a strange and blank expression.

Everything would have just work out if you drop everything and move here with her.

p.s. That's not too bad of a story. I think I'll write a book on my vacation about this. Of course, there will be plot twists, murder, rape and quiet revelations. I'll call it, Available Users.

Last edited by Plokivos; 11-29-2010 at 12:33 PM..

Old 11-29-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
Here is how I predict this. It's bitter, but true. She'll move here, all alone, with her cats (or cat), living in a strange city with nothing to do but work, eat, drink and have sex (after all of the tourist things are done and over with). Sure, you guys say it's only 4 hour drive, and you'll see each other every weekend, but you never do. Then her phone calls every night will drop to a phone call every other day, then to a long email, then a simple text message, then next thing you know, she stops calling you or returning your emails. Then you visit her on a whim to surprise her just to find that she's found someone smarter, funnier, better looking, better family and more money than you do. You go back to NYC after a cold awakening, feeling betrayed, hopeless and useless with self doubt, starts drink heavily for a while, questioning yourself, have unprotected sex with a lot of strangers that you don't know, get treated for few STD's then you sober up and try to live a good life, and eventually you find someone who comforts the new and broken you, but little did you know, your ex-gf had a change of heart and starts to think about you a lot, she graduates and eventually moves to NYC and you guys meet on the street, and fall back in love again. Little did she know, you have a evil plot to destroy her heart like she did on you, and you do break her heart, bit by bit, over a long and torturous period of time, eventually tripling your pain on to her, because the new you isn't the old sweet and naive you anymore. It's more cynical, yet so much more sophisticated. Then she goes into a wave of self-destruction where she drinks heavily and sleeps with a lot of strangers but thing about her is that she never recovers, and she eventually loses her job, her friends and goes in to a crazy house. But the thing you didn't know was, that baby was your baby, and she lied to you when she said she had an abortion. You only find out about this after the fact after you've done all the despicable things to her, when she's in the crazy house, when the man from DC visits her with a baby, and tells you about what happened, that your gf never told you about, because she thought it was for the better. Then you go into a spiral of pain because you destroyed the only thing that you ever loved in your life. At the end, you end up with the baby, with no mother, no love, living in NYC, always picturing the happier times before all of this, and afraid of ever loving anyone else, trapped in a city full of memories, just like everyone who walks the streets next to you with a strange and blank expression.

Everything would have just work out if you drop everything and move here with her.
Yo, Dr.Phil's evil twin brother. That was very creative, and quite clever. I applaud you.

Just real quick, what brand of condoms should I use. You seem to know a lot about my relationship and what is to become of it. So waddaya think??

Old 11-29-2010, 12:39 PM

NYC brand of course. They rip the easiest. j/k.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:24 PM

885 posts, read 1,552,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Thanks for the insight, I really appreciate that. Living in Dupont Circle sounds like the best bet for her (even though she is NOT wealthy). If she ends up going, she'll have to make some sacrifices for christ sakes. Women, I swear. Always want exactly what they want, when they want it

Thanks again....
I don't think living very close to her school is a good idea. It will give her easy access to "take a break" and bring men from her school to her place to "relax."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC