Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 08:48 PM

658 posts, read 1,894,164 times

Advertisements

is this event free for all?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 10:35 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,522 times
It's free but through a lottery, and the bad news is that it's closed.

National Christmas Tree and the Pageant of Peace 2010

I'm pretty sure you could get creative, pull some strings or find someone who could hook you up with an invite if you're in the Federal or private consulting groups. They always have extra tickets and there are tons of people actually leaving DC to go to Colorado for the winter from Fed and Private sectors.

This is a good reminder though, so I'll post it:

Since 1923, the United States has held a tradition of lighting a National Christmas Tree in Washington, DC. In 1978, a live 40-foot Colorado blue spruce was transplanted from York, Pennsylvania to its present site on the Ellipse, the grassy area south of the White House. In 1954, a "Pathway of Peace," 56 smaller, decorated trees representing all 50 states, five territories, and the District of Columbia were planted surrounding the National Christmas Tree. Read about the history of the National Christmas Tree. Each year sponsoring organizations from each state provide tree decorations that are encased in a protective plastic globe to shield it from the weather. The lighting of the National Christmas Tree is the beginning of a three week Washington, DC Christmas tradition.

See a Photo Gallery of the National Christmas Tree

National Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony

Date and Time: Thursday, December 9, 2010 at 5:00 p.m.

Tickets: Tickets to the National Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony were distributed via an online lottery and participation is now closed. Tickets are free and required for every attendee, including children.

Performers - Blues legend B.B. King, Grammy-nominated singer-songwriter and pianist Sara Bareilles, and Grammy-award winning band Maroon 5. Additional Performers To Be Announced.
Visit the National Christmas Tree Throughout the Holiday Season

The National Christmas Tree and the Pathway of Peace is illuminated each evening from dusk until 11 p.m. through January 1st. Seasonal displays include a Yule log, a large-scale model train and a Christmas manger. Musical performances by volunteer choirs and dancers, will be held nightly on the Ellipse stage. Weeknight performances will be performed from 6-8:30 p.m. Weekend performances will be performed from 4-8:30 p.m. For further information or scheduled groups performing call (202) 208-1631. The seasonal display includes Santa's Workshop, which will be open at select times so that children can visit with Santa. Tickets are only required for the lighting ceremony.

The closest Metro stations to the White House are Federal Triangle, Metro Center and McPherson Square. Parking is very limited in this area, so public transportation is recommended. See a map of the White House and the Ellipse

Parking Near the National Christmas Tree

Parking is extremely limited near the National Christmas Tree. Limited parking is available along Constitution Avenue between 15th and 17th Streets after 6:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and all day on weekends. The best way to get to the area is by metro. The closest stops are Metro Center, Federal Triangle, and McPherson Square. Read more about parking near the National Mall

Thanks to this lady on About.com:
Rachel Cooper
Washington, DC Guide
My Blog
My Forum

I give credit where it's due.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:56 AM

658 posts, read 1,894,164 times
thanks for the info. I will scrounge around and see what I can find. I did search craigslist and there are quite a few tickets for sale on there.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:02 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
I wonder how loud it is....you might be able to hang out on the outskirts and listen for a while. Won't really see much aside from the tree lighting up, but could be worth a shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC