U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-09-2010, 09:59 AM

3,548 posts, read 4,906,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
What do y'all think of 16th street north of Mt Pleasant, and adjacent areas. We were up there a couple of months ago for a visit to Fabrengen, and on the way it looked interesting, and transitional in a good way.
Convenient, safe, nice looking homes...but jack-all going on. Between Mt. P and Silver Spring, 16th Street is really a commercial dead zone.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 10:17 AM

8,479 posts, read 5,890,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Convenient, safe, nice looking homes...but jack-all going on. Between Mt. P and Silver Spring, 16th Street is really a commercial dead zone.

I guess the commercial strip for that area is Georgia Avenue, which is still rather too sketchy for us.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking of Silver Spring. It's just over the District line, so technically a suburb, but it maintains an urban feel. It's on the Red Line, has got some stuff going on (restaurants, bars, shops, etc.), and is convenient to a lot. I know you said you weren't big on Montgomery/PG counties, but you may want to give SS a look-see. It's also one of the last bastions of affordability in the region that maintains a semblance of a commercial center.
we recently did a walk in Silver Spring (it was brief, we had just been looking at Azaleas at the arboretum) and were surprised and impressed with what we saw.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:42 AM

245 posts, read 302,252 times
You need to think a lot about whether you want density and hustle or bustle, or if you want space. For your price point, you are going to have to trade one for another. For me, the answer is simple - I care a lot more about daily experiences than accumulating stuff, so I have a smaller place in a denser location. But, that is just me. But, you will not be able to afford the size place that you are describing in an area that would be a perfect fit for the lifestyle that you are describing. So, what do you want to compromise on?

If you really don't mind the suburbs, I would look at Alexandria, near Old Town. It is close to many things, the metro is there (although it is a hike), and it is pretty safe. You get a discount because of the bad schools.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lackadaisi View Post
]If you really don't mind the suburbs, I would look at Alexandria, near Old Town. It is close to many things, the metro is there (although it is a hike), and it is pretty safe. You get a discount because of the bad schools.
The other thing about Old Town is that it is quite urban for a suburb; in fact it's got a density and feel to it that matches many DC neighborhoods. It's really the only neighborhood outside of DC that feels like it could be in the city. King Street is one of the region's best commercial corridors, IMO.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
The other thing about Old Town is that it is quite urban for a suburb; in fact it's got a density and feel to it that matches many DC neighborhoods. It's really the only neighborhood outside of DC that feels like it could be in the city. King Street is one of the region's best commercial corridors, IMO.

id have to check again, but looking at Redfin, SS may be more affordable than parts of Alex actually within walking distance of one of the metro stations.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
id have to check again, but looking at Redfin, SS may be more affordable than parts of Alex actually within walking distance of one of the metro stations.
SS is *definitely* more affordable than Old Town. Youmight want to check out Del Ray, which is more affordable than Old Town but has a decent commercial stretch.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
SS is *definitely* more affordable than Old Town. Youmight want to check out Del Ray, which is more affordable than Old Town but has a decent commercial stretch.
the market for condos, esp elevator condos, is rather shallower in Del Ray than SS I think.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:28 PM

245 posts, read 302,252 times
Of course SS is more affordable than Old Town, Old Town is much nicer There are a few condos that type in Del Ray, but Del Ray is nowhere near as urban as Old Town. Have you gone to any of these areas? I would start exploring as they are very different.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lackadaisi View Post
Of course SS is more affordable than Old Town, Old Town is much nicer There are a few condos that type in Del Ray, but Del Ray is nowhere near as urban as Old Town. Have you gone to any of these areas? I would start exploring as they are very different.

We live in Annandale and have been visiting Old Town regularly for years and years. We get to Del Ray "once in a blue moon" as the saying goes. I posted on this again as we just visited SS, which I hadnt been to in years. Yeah, Del Ray isnt that urban, and Old Town is WONDERFUL but pricey. Thats why seeing how urban SS is (even if it has its weaknesses) was heartening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC