U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-11-2010, 09:18 AM

3 posts, read 3,177 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

Recently my fiance and I were employed. She works at George Mason University and I work in downtown Silver Spring. We currently reside in Silver Spring, MD. My commute is obviously not that bad, but hers is awful. We are thinking about moving to someplace in the middle. I was hoping that all of you could assist us in possible places/areas to move to. We would like to rent either an apartment/townhome/condo and not go over 2k a month. My job is right near the Silver Spring Metro stop, thus that could be an alternative to the commute. My concern with the Metro is that if we choose to move to NoVA the metro ride is still 1+ hours to Silver Spring. I apprecaite any information any of you could provide.

Thanks,
Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 02:42 PM

7,558 posts, read 9,657,255 times
I think you would want to be near Vienna-Fairfax station. The trains are packed (Orange Crush) and the best way to get a seat is at the end stations. An hour to SS seems about right to me. It would take an hour if you drove from there. Just my first thoughts on this

Old 12-13-2010, 01:43 PM

4,033 posts, read 5,259,573 times
I'm no expert. But wouldn't moving to Fairfax just relocate the commute issue? She'd get the short commute and him not so much. I'm thinking a good compromise would be north Arlington. He could take the orange line to the metro center and change to the red line. She would have a more reasonable driving commute to GMU. Also if he's driving then he could take George Washington Parkway to the beltway to Silver Spring.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:05 AM

7,558 posts, read 9,657,255 times
Yes, in a way. I think North Arlington is good, but very expensive for housing. The commute to George Mason from there, though, may or may not be rough. I'm not sure. If one uses Metro then thats one less car on the road. Less than $2000 a month might mean either stay where they are or move to Vienna.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:40 AM

622 posts, read 720,355 times
I'd recommend the NoMA area sandwiched between Florida and H street NE. My gf and I have a slightly similar situation. I live a few blocks down from the NY ave metro on the redline which is just about a 15-20 minute train ride to silver spring. She lives in Vienna also goes to GMU. Whenever she leaves my house, she hops on 395 south from H street or constitution to 66 and is back in GMU/vienna in about 25-30 mins. The loree grand apts off K street ne go for about $1900 for 1brs I think. Especially with the new Harris Teeter that just opened up, it's a very nice up and coming area. I think it may work for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC