U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-10-2012, 07:43 PM

92 posts, read 79,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Well blue laws aren't exactly unique to DC and Maryland. They're not even a southern thing. Massachusetts is notorious for their blue laws. Pennsylvania has blue laws as well.

Exactly. I don't even know of any Maryland Blue Laws....especially those related to alcohol. Same goes for DC where clubs stay open til at least 3AM. Virginia has blue laws but I don't know of many if any that relate to alcohol. I know you can buy beer and wine in a CVS or 7-11 in Virginia. Try doing that in MA. It ain't happening. NH is similar to VA with state liquor stores and beer/wine in grocery stores. They are quite strict on licensed premises. Same goes for other New England states.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:15 PM

4,033 posts, read 5,271,066 times
I'm sure someone from Maryland knows more than I do but if I recall only a handful of liquor stores are allowed to be opened on Sunday. DC liquor stores are all closed on Sunday. I consider those blue laws. Yeah but in some places like Florida you can buy liquor in CVS. I was shocked when I saw an ad for vodka at CVS in the Miami Herald.

In my home state each county can decide what they want to do. One of my sisters is from a completely dry county outside Atlanta. I was shocked. My hometown at least isn't dry and there's a plethora of liquor stores but you can't buy alcohol on Sunday. Although you can go to a restaurant and order a drink. So everyplace has different laws.

In relation to the OP, well I don't think DC is a city that drinks and drinks although it should be remembers that the District does have the highest wine consumption. So while DC isn't the biggest party city people still drink.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I'm sure someone from Maryland knows more than I do but if I recall only a handful of liquor stores are allowed to be opened on Sunday. DC liquor stores are all closed on Sunday. I consider those blue laws. Yeah but in some places like Florida you can buy liquor in CVS. I was shocked when I saw an ad for vodka at CVS in the Miami Herald.

In my home state each county can decide what they want to do. One of my sisters is from a completely dry county outside Atlanta. I was shocked. My hometown at least isn't dry and there's a plethora of liquor stores but you can't buy alcohol on Sunday. Although you can go to a restaurant and order a drink. So everyplace has different laws.

In relation to the OP, well I don't think DC is a city that drinks and drinks although it should be remembers that the District does have the highest wine consumption. So while DC isn't the biggest party city people still drink.
Drinking a lot of wine is a good way for people to get inebriated while $hitting themselves into thinking that those who get drunk with beer or liquor are somehow worse. I've also noticed that in DC, far more older (30's to 50's) people do a lot of heavy drinking, albeit more under the radar and less outwardly festive, than heavy drinkers in the northeast. That I consider just a reflection of the more passive-aggressive southern-influenced culture which is present even in individuals who are stone cold sober. But in the northeast cities, the vast number of colleges accounts for much of the binge drinking and partying.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:17 PM

Default Fyi

D.C. TOPS NATION IN DRUG, ALCOHOL ABUSE
By: Emily Babay | 07/31/11 7:05 PM
Examiner Staff Writer | Follow Her: @Emilybabay

Drug and alcohol abuse rates are higher in the District than anywhere else in the country, and experts say the wide availability of drugs, high stress levels and difficulties getting abusers into treatment fuel the city's persistently stratospheric rates.
Moderator cut: quote shortened, please read the tos and provide a link to the original source

Last edited by Yac; 01-16-2012 at 06:11 AM..

Old 01-14-2012, 06:46 PM

9,999 posts, read 8,978,765 times
^
Whenever stats include DC with the states, it ends up on one extreme end of the spectrum or the other. More valid would be a comparison of large cities. I'd suspect DC's pretty average in that regard.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
^
Whenever stats include DC with the states, it ends up on one extreme end of the spectrum or the other. More valid would be a comparison of large cities. I'd suspect DC's pretty average in that regard.
You can't say that unless you know the methodology of how SAMSHA collected the data. DC is essentially a very small state. This study talks about drug and alcohol abuse rates. How is it NOT valid? Frankly I don't see how the political geography makes a difference in determining the rate. It always amazes me how some people will literally go to the ends of the earth trying to defend anything that seems critical of DC. The first step to getting better is admitting you have a problem.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:54 AM

19 posts, read 20,029 times
Cheers to the freakin weekend

Old 01-15-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecharlesriver View Post
You can't say that unless you know the methodology of how SAMSHA collected the data. DC is essentially a very small state. This study talks about drug and alcohol abuse rates. How is it NOT valid? Frankly I don't see how the political geography makes a difference in determining the rate. It always amazes me how some people will literally go to the ends of the earth trying to defend anything that seems critical of DC. The first step to getting better is admitting you have a problem.
Huh? I wasn't defending DC. I didn't even realize your topic was meant to be a negative against DC since, compared to any full state, there's no shortage of per capita partying here. I was simply pointing out the statistical invalidity of the source because, perhaps you don't live here, but DC is ALWAYS a stastical outlier when compared to the states on any subject you can imagine.

It's not a valid comparison because you have an urban population with high concentrations of young single professionals, college students, and poverty, all of which are going to generally drink more than populations also comprising suburban, small town, or rural populations. It would be like saying people in Manhattan drive a lot less than in any other "state". Well, okay but that doesn't tell me anything.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Huh? I wasn't defending DC. I didn't even realize your topic was meant to be a negative against DC since, compared to any full state, there's no shortage of per capita partying here. I was simply pointing out the statistical invalidity of the source because, perhaps you don't live here, but DC is ALWAYS a stastical outlier when compared to the states on any subject you can imagine.

It's not a valid comparison because you have an urban population with high concentrations of young single professionals, college students, and poverty, all of which are going to generally drink more than populations also comprising suburban, small town, or rural populations. It would be like saying people in Manhattan drive a lot less than in any other "state". Well, okay but that doesn't tell me anything.
Perhaps I do live here. Perhaps you should check the methodology of how this government agency came up with these stats before dismissing them as invalid. Also, didn't know living here provided the insight to simply dismiss data. Rhode Island is tiny compared to Texas. Does that mean a state comparison is invalid? Mass has 65 colleges. Do you think that might equate to more drinking and drugging? You can't point out the statistical invalidity of the source without know how the data was collected and compared.

DC also has extremely high HIV rates when compared with other cities. And high crime rates. Are those data also invalid? Do you think there might be a correlation between some of this data? Oh, and if the rate of driving in Manhattan is lower than any state, so be it. That's the rate. That doesn't point out any invalidity in a study, since I have no clue as to what METHODOLOGY was used.

If you look at the article it only mentions LOCAL states as a comparison to DC. It doesn't say that ONLY states were used in collecting and comparing the data.

Last edited by thecharlesriver; 01-15-2012 at 08:53 AM..

Old 01-15-2012, 09:48 AM

I could really care less if DC has the most drunks or the fewest. I'm sure the data is fine but you're welcome to provide comparisons to other cities to see how DC fits in with similar political entities. As it is, a city to state comparison means nothing. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC