Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2011, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 7,862 times

Advertisements

I just recently got promoted in my work field, and I want to move into my own spot. I recently found a GORGEOUS apartment (The Grays on Pennsylvania) and I want to rent one starting in May.. But my credit score is 550..AND I have an eviction on my credit, due to an ex-roommate of mine.. So i owe the old apartment complex quite a bit of money, but I'm going to pay them off this month in full.... Does anyone know if this will stop me from getting an apartment at this particular apartment community (The Grays on Pennsylvania)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 06:08 PM

4 posts, read 14,586 times
First of all own up to your mistakes! Take responsibility of your bad credit score. Learn how to pay your bills on time, check your credit at least once a year. Dispute any items that is incorrect. If you owe money to an apartment complex try to settle your debt.

If you have a history of not paying your bills and your credit score is not in the best of shape, what makes you think it won't have any effect on getting a particular apartment? Especially, if an apartment complex run a credit check.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:38 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citishares View Post
First of all own up to your mistakes! Take responsibility of your bad credit score. Learn how to pay your bills on time, check your credit at least once a year. Dispute any items that is incorrect. If you owe money to an apartment complex try to settle your debt.

If you have a history of not paying your bills and your credit score is not in the best of shape, what makes you think it won't have any effect on getting a particular apartment? Especially, if an apartment complex run a credit check.
Well seems like the OP is taking responsibility. You're basically looking down at the person for having bad credit. Be nice.

As someone with bad credit (which I don't owe an explanation for), I can certainly relate. You're where I hope to be in a year or so when I get my stuff paid off. From my experience its best to be upfront and honest. When you apply bring proof of your income, some references, and written proof that you've paid the old landlord. You're going to have to go above and beyond to prove that this time you'll be a good tenant.

Another idea is just talk to them now. Go to the leasing office and ask what do they do for folks with bad credit. Some places will require a larger than average deposit. Another idea is to work with a small landlord with one or two properties. They're least likely to do a credit check and more likely to listen to your story if they do. Either way good luck!

Old 01-11-2011, 08:39 AM

230 posts, read 859,511 times
The Grays is tax credit, so it may or may not hurt you. Pay off the eviction and make sure it's cleared with the court and noted as "paid' on your credit report. Do not apply online; apply in person and explain that the eviction was because of a previous roommate. Offer to pay a higher security deposit or set up a direct debit from your checking account to lower their risk of renting to you.

That complex has a low rating on apartmentratings.com. You might want to keep looking...

Old 01-11-2011, 09:07 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,714,913 times
Apartmentrating.com normally exaggerates a little though. Only the posters with complaints tend to make comments.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,815 times
I'm also looking to move into the Grays my credit is not the best but I don't have any evictions on my record. How did they handle your situation? Did they work with you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC