Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Work in Downtown DC where would you live?
Outer Suburb in a huge home 2 10.00%
Inner Suburb in a mid sized townhouse 6 30.00%
Small Townhouse Washington DC right on the Redline minutes from work 12 60.00%
Condo right next to my office in Downtown DC 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 01:04 PM

19 posts, read 25,851 times

Advertisements

After I sell my home I have two choices:

Move to Dupont Circle and live in a 1000 square foot townhouse with the potential for noise and lack of privacy but a five minute commute to work?

Move to Woodbridge or Centerville and live in a 3000 square foot new home with a forest behind it on a huge lot but commute 90 minutes each way to work.

Both options would cost about the same amount of money. We are a childless middle age couple.

Which would you choose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 01:09 PM

720 posts, read 1,554,492 times
I value my time more than anything else. I definitely would not be able to stand spending 15 hours a week in a car stuck in traffic

Old 01-12-2011, 01:46 PM

257 posts, read 457,885 times
Depends on what you want. You could possibly get something thats not too far from work but still close enough for a 30 min commute on the train. Silver Spring, Forest Glen, Wheaton, or Glenmont are quite ideal in this situation. Maybe even Greenbelt.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:08 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,241,558 times
Well definitely not the Dupont Circle condo. You don't sound excited about either.

If you were excited: I have the opportunity to live in fun and exciting Dupont Circle.

I voted for mid-sized townhouse in an inner-suburb like Arlington or Alexandria. Or you can get the smaller townhouse in the District/ Really and truly you sound like a Centreville or Woodbridge person but the commute just wouldn't be worth it. I like the suburbs too but I also like being closer to the city too much.

You say you don't have kids. Are they grown with the chance of coming home for visits (guest room needed) or are you truly childless I wonder? Either way it doesn't sound like you need a lot of space.

I know a couple who gave up the huge house in VA for a much smaller place in Adams Morgan and they couldn't be happier. So look at your priorities.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:53 PM

116 posts, read 212,634 times
I'd rather live in Dupont and not have to spend 15 hours a week commuting, but you aren't me.

Which do you prefer? What about Arlington? It's a shorter commute and you may have a bit more space.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:22 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,941,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Well definitely not the Dupont Circle condo. You don't sound excited about either.

If you were excited: I have the opportunity to live in fun and exciting Dupont Circle..
Good point. I totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I voted for mid-sized townhouse in an inner-suburb like Arlington or Alexandria.

That gets my vote, too.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:48 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,170 times
If you had kids going to public school, I would say outer suburbs. Without kids, it's Dupont Circle or an inner suburb.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:30 PM

29 posts, read 116,551 times
You should consider Arlington or Alexandria. You can still find a good spot in some areas of Alexandria - definitely bigger than 1000 sq. ft. Besides, you don't want to do that drive on Jefferson Davis Hwy or on the Hwy each day. You'd be stressed each day before you get to work and be so beat when you get home that you won't enjoy the "big house." Consider something in between . . .

Old 01-18-2011, 05:31 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That's my question View Post
After I sell my home I have two choices:

Move to Dupont Circle and live in a 1000 square foot townhouse with the potential for noise and lack of privacy but a five minute commute to work?

Move to Woodbridge or Centerville and live in a 3000 square foot new home with a forest behind it on a huge lot but commute 90 minutes each way to work.

Both options would cost about the same amount of money. We are a childless middle age couple.

Which would you choose?
Don't overthink the problem, and you will find the answers you're looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksmsv4myOmg

Old 01-18-2011, 08:07 PM

104 posts, read 208,007 times
The commute from my SFH in Reston to Metro Center is usually just under one hour (bus/rail combo). Hopefully, the commute will be shorter when the metro station is finished. Am very happy not to have a shared wall anymore.

Also, one thing to keep in mind with a new subdivision -- lots and lots of neighborhood kids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC