Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 04:33 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times

Advertisements

DC is DC, neither southern nor northern. It is it's own.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:56 PM

314 posts, read 759,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Vic... View Post
Maybe I sound just post a video of my talking.
I've heard dudes like Kevin Durant and Mike Beasley talk from that area...Would you say they have a thick DC accent'? Based on both of em I would say the DC accent is neutral.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and NYC are all Mid-Atlantic cities. If Philadelphia and NYC are classified as part of the Northeast, then wouldn't it make sense that DC and Baltimore are also categorised as such? It seems a bit non-sensical for a region of the US to be part of both the North and the South at the same time.
Not necessarily....Texas is considered the Southwest along with Arizona, New Mexico, and Southern Cali but is still more associated with the Southeast/Deep South and Miami is considered East Coast but still a southern city.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:00 PM

423 posts, read 646,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
I've heard dudes like Kevin Durant and Mike Beasley talk from that area...Would you say they have a thick DC accent'? Based on both of em I would say the DC accent is neutral.
I agree on the neutral part.

D.C. is truly unique in the aspect that everything from accents to atmosphere of the streets are a hybrid of the north and south.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Vic... View Post
I agree on the neutral part.

D.C. is truly unique in the aspect that everything from accents to atmosphere of the streets are a hybrid of the north and south.
Yeah....but not everyone from the South has a stereotypical Southern accent...I'm from Louisiana and many of New Orleans black folk(especially those from the hood) sound more like they from the Islands than country...In my part of the state(central) alot of dudes(including myself) sound neutral and don't have a standard deep Southern accent either

Old 01-27-2011, 08:45 PM

386 posts, read 986,703 times
Quote:
No. I don't think either one of them has thick dc accents. I will post some videos for yall to see some thick dc accents like some people I knew in high school and college had that I have met.

High school students (skip to 17 seconds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deurt...eature=related

Another good example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrXo_...eature=related

Female and male example
http://www.youtube.com/user/moneyrom.../0/KFEA4cRv1tE

I agree the accent is a mixture of northern and southern but it has a twang to it that is unique.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:50 PM

423 posts, read 646,319 times
I dont even have twang in my voice, its just deep and slow (born with speech delay). I'll post a video in a minute.
But I do notice this, PG kids sound slightly different than DC kids, and kids from NW sound different than kids from SE.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:46 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,874 times
Quote:
Not necessarily....Texas is considered the Southwest along with Arizona, New Mexico, and Southern Cali but is still more associated with the Southeast/Deep South and Miami is considered East Coast but still a southern city.
There are many who would dispute that either by saying Texas is unique or that the Southwest is AZ, NM, UT, CO, and NV.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
No. I don't think either one of them has thick dc accents. I will post some videos for yall to see some thick dc accents like some people I knew in high school and college had that I have met.

High school students (skip to 17 seconds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deurt...eature=related

Another good example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrXo_...eature=related

Female and male example
http://www.youtube.com/user/moneyrom.../0/KFEA4cRv1tE

I agree the accent is a mixture of northern and southern but it has a twang to it that is unique.

Yeah i'm hearing a distinct and strong Southern twang in the accents of those DC brothers/sisters in those videos......I've met people in the socalled Deep South(myself included) whom's twang aint that thick.

Last edited by brother's keeper; 01-28-2011 at 06:53 AM..

Old 01-28-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
There are many who would dispute that either by saying Texas is unique or that the Southwest is AZ, NM, UT, CO, and NV.
Well maybe Missouri being considered the Mid-West and South(by many) would be a better example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC