Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 02:30 PM

14 posts, read 33,349 times

Advertisements

I've been in DC for about three weeks and I don't know where to even begin to look for nice social spots (lounges/restaurants/wine bars...etc.).

Background: I'm a 28 yr/old single AA female from Atlanta. I'm here due to an internship for my Masters' program. I've lived all over the country in several major cities so I know it takes time to get adjusted. I'm living with an older lady (family friend) in SWDC. I don't have a car and I don't have any female friends here. I know a few guys here but its hard for me to depend on them to show me around because they want more from me than friendship so I keep them at arm's reach. I work in downtown DC...I guess that's what it would be considered.

1. Are there restaurants in walking distance from the Waterfront metro station? There has to be something in this area besides Safeway but I haven't seen anything because I jump on the train for work and go right home afterwards.

2. I am normally a social butterfly but have spent the last two weekends stuck in my room because I don't know where to go for socializing. I don't live in an area where I could just walk a block or two and find nice restaurants/lounges so I have to actually have a destination in mind. I've been watching the playoffs at home by myself (which I have never done!) because I don't know of any cool sports bar where I wouldn't look completely out of place sitting by myself at the bar. lol.

I have more questions but some feedback on these two issues would be greatly appreciated. Please remember that I am a single female here by myself so keep that in mind when you suggest social spots.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 02:34 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times
I went to a corporate party at a club called 'Love'. Pretty nice looking place.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:59 PM

311 posts, read 843,805 times
Awww as a 25 year old AA female, i feel for you!

don''t have much advice on restaurants near waterfront since I don't live out there or go on a regular basis..

Sports Bar-Lol Try Nellie's Sports Bar....child, it's a gay sports bar (I know sounds like an oxymoron) but you won't feel lonely and a local favorite by the straights AND gays, a very mixed crowd. It's fabulous (and the drag queens are lovely). They also have different trivia/bingo nights to also help you meet some people as well...check em out.
Nellie's Sports Bar - 900 U Street, NW Washington, DC 20001

Old 01-16-2011, 03:05 PM

70 posts, read 182,895 times
^ But Love is a pain to get to if you don't have a car, and there's nothing else around it but a pretty sketchy neighborhood.

I think there are a couple restaurants on Water Street SW within walking distance of metro, but I've never been and can't vouch for em. You might want to scope it out at some point to see if there's something there you'd be interested in patroning. It's not quite a happening part of town comparatively, but if you're looking for close to home, that's about it for Southwest.

It sounds like you'd love U Street. One long street of bars, lounges, restaurants, concert venues etc., it's one of the major nightlife areas in DC. Plus it's a simple shot up the green line. Other nightlife centers worth checking out would be Chinatown, Adams Morgan, and Dupont Circle, but there are others. It's actually quite easy to find popular social spots, though expect a number of places to be pretty calm during the week and then really come alive on weekends.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:11 PM

70 posts, read 182,895 times
GaBison2007, I went to Nellie's last week for the first time and it was a great time. We went for trivia night and although our group ended up on the heated patio where we could barely hear the questions on the speakers, it was still a good time. (Advice: for trivia night, get there EARLY and wait it out for a table inside in the main room). And yes while it is a gay bar, it's actually a very diverse crowd, straights and gays.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:22 PM

This Nellie's place does sound fun! You sure I wouldn't look too out of place by myself at a trivia night? lol.

I feel like i've heard of Love before...maybe there is one in a different city or its so popular that its name rings out across states. I'll have to check that one out too.

I'll definitely check out Water street. I think i hear my tummy rumbling now!
Thanks!

Old 01-16-2011, 10:33 PM

720 posts, read 1,554,308 times
First off welcome to DC

I wouldn't even worry about checking out Love especially since you mentioned you don't have a car. It's in a sketchy part of the city and it's one of those mega clubs mostly for the college age (19-24) crowd.

I also agree that you'd love many places along U Street. In addition to Nellie's I think you might like MoMo's sports bar as well as Indulj which has a nice lounge atmosphere.

Waterfront is about to undergo a lot of residential and retail development this year, but for the moment the area is severely lacking in food options. Outside of that Safeway you pass by and the few seafood restaurants on the marina (which are mostly overpriced and average) there's not much out there. There is a cool little café run by celebrity chef Jose Andres in the Arena Stage. There is a highly touted restaurant called Station 4 that was supposed to open this month, though I'm not sure if it is yet or not Station 4 | A New American Bistro-Style Restaurant

Overall when it comes to nice restauran options close by, your best bet will be to hop on that green line train and ride up to Chinatown

Old 01-17-2011, 05:30 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
I'll reiterate some and add a couple: I'd also start with the U Street corridor (U Street NW between about 9th and 16th, as well as down 14th Street where there's a number of restaurants, bars, galleries, theatres). Nellie's is on that stretch. There are a number of more upscale clubs around 14th and K NW. You might find the midtown area around Connecticut and 18th NW appealing as a sort of upscale small-club scene.

Adams Morgan is a big party scene - not so much a wine bar / lounge scene - but is probably worth a walk through once. Georgetown, Dupont Circle, and H Street NE are all nightlife spots. You mentioned being AA, and these 3 areas tend to draw a somewhat whiter crowd, but there's a lot of racial mixing in this city amongst the professional culture and I don't know your tastes.

Chinatown is rather generic / corporate, but definitely a good, central, vibrant gathering spot in the city. You might enjoy Coco Sala (a chocolate-themed lounge) which is not far from Chinatown.

Welcome and enjoy! It's really a great city once you get to know it.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:25 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I'll reiterate some and add a couple: I'd also start with the U Street corridor (U Street NW between about 9th and 16th, as well as down 14th Street where there's a number of restaurants, bars, galleries, theatres). Nellie's is on that stretch. There are a number of more upscale clubs around 14th and K NW. You might find the midtown area around Connecticut and 18th NW appealing as a sort of upscale small-club scene.

Adams Morgan is a big party scene - not so much a wine bar / lounge scene - but is probably worth a walk through once. Georgetown, Dupont Circle, and H Street NE are all nightlife spots. You mentioned being AA, and these 3 areas tend to draw a somewhat whiter crowd, but there's a lot of racial mixing in this city amongst the professional culture and I don't know your tastes.

Chinatown is rather generic / corporate, but definitely a good, central, vibrant gathering spot in the city. You might enjoy Coco Sala (a chocolate-themed lounge) which is not far from Chinatown.

Welcome and enjoy! It's really a great city once you get to know it.

i would definitely suggest H street NE. as opposed to Adams Morgan, the folks seem more polished and respectable on that end. good mix of races as well. Chinatown is cool but i'd suggest you catch a wizards game on the cheap. like singles night or one of there other quirky nights.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:52 AM

Thanks everyone for your input! You all definitely gave me something to work with.

I like legit mixed crowds not the 'one black person in a group of white co-workers so now its diverse' type of situation. I think there are too many educated/sophisticated AAs in this area for me to have to be the token in order to experience more tasteful social settings. I've had to be that token in several cities that i've lived in (with the exception of Atlanta of course) and I don't really enjoy it all the time.

I'm not a big nightclub person so I don't mind passing on Love if it caters to a more college-aged crowd.

I love the idea of going to a Wizards game on singles night! That never crossed my mind and I work in sports. Thanks!

I hate that this area (SWDC) is so bare right now. Sometimes I don't want to have to hop on the train. Oh well.

Any good soul food suggestions? I've gone to Oohs and Aahs and the food was good but way too expensive for soul food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC