U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-26-2011, 07:43 AM

37 posts, read 201,237 times

Advertisements

Didn't someone say that if you want a friend in Washington get a dog? Well I think that is true after being in this town for 30 years. It's a mean town!

If you are a simple blue collar worker, or someone working in a low paid service sector job, maybe the DC area is pretty much like any other town. But if you want to be successful and work in a very professional white collar job in one of the numerous law firms, lobbying companies, tech firms, government contractors, non profits, etc, get ready for some down and dirty meaness and serious office politics!

I wonder some times if a manager working in an office who wants to have a successful career in Omaha or Kansas City would face as many mean people, cut throat office politics, demands on his/her time and general dog eat dog worklife?

So, what do you think, is Washington DC the meanest town in America?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 07:56 AM

423 posts, read 115,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Serious Debt View Post
is Washington DC the meanest town in America?
You betcha

If you can work here and you can work anywhere.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:08 AM

468 posts, read 762,525 times
Those same vicious white collar people you speak of turn into saints though on the streets especially after dark.

Same thing on the bus and on the train late at night.

One time at the Gallery Place station a yup accidentally stepped on my Jordans and right afterwards he immediately started apologizing to me.

He apologized to me well over 5 times.

I just looked at him and started laughing out loud.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:53 AM

1,583 posts, read 1,708,579 times
Yeah, I wouldn't use the word mean, maybe another word that I can't think of right now. Pretentious...definitely. The people here are very into what they do for a living, which is fine, it can at times be a dagger socially though.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:31 AM

3,659 posts, read 2,493,104 times
Washington is the best place in the world to work. Love the town.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:55 AM

248 posts, read 381,643 times
Another question you raise is maybe DC isn't the problem, but the white collar world in general is actually the root problem?

Overall I found people to be a little bit better than where I'm from (upstate NY). In fact, the people I work with here were more laid back than the people I worked with back in NY.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:02 AM

423 posts, read 115,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuric View Post
Another question you raise is maybe DC isn't the problem, but the white collar world is actually the root problem?
That and the fact people who work in D.C. are from EVERYWHERE.
There seems to be more tension the more diverse a place is.

NYC is diverse but most NY'ers are from NYC/NJ/CT area and the NE, so they have more common ground.

Most people who work in D.C. aren't from here.
You got Southerners, Northerners, people from the Midwest and West coast, and people from other country s working in one city together, those are a lot of personalities and cultures mixed in one place. But see thats the thing, things work differently in other places, the white collar environment on the west coast or the south is way different than how things are done on the east coast.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:34 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,108,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Vic... View Post
That and the fact people who work in D.C. are from EVERYWHERE.
There seems to be more tension the more diverse a place is.

NYC is diverse but most NY'ers are from NYC/NJ/CT area and the NE, so they have more common ground.

Most people who work in D.C. aren't from here.
You got Southerners, Northerners, people from the Midwest and West coast, and people from other country s working in one city together, those are a lot of personalities and cultures mixed in one place. But see thats the thing, things work differently in other places, the white collar environment on the west coast or the south is way different than how things are done on the east coast.
This makes a lot of sense, actually. It was weird working in D.C. because they could be surprisingly mean for no good reason, but they could also be surprisingly nice and forgiving when I did really stupid things. It was just generally unpredictable, probably because of the diversity mentioned above.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:03 PM

10 posts, read 11,030 times
Years ago I went to Paris on vacation and was pleasantly surprised how nice the people were when it had such a bad reputation, then I realized it was because I had just come from DC. Yeah Dc people are definitely not the warmest on the planet.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:31 PM

3,548 posts, read 5,053,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Serious Debt View Post
So, what do you think, is Washington DC the meanest town in America?
No, and **** you for even raising the question!

/sarcasm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC