Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 02:03 PM
(-) (-) started this thread

690 posts, read 1,865,785 times

Advertisements

I wish I had some before and after pics of this area. I don't think I can convey how much of a dramatic change this area of DC has undergone in about an 8 year period.
It literally went from being a side street full of drug abusers, sellers, and prostitutes to a really thriving area with new development and the DC equivalent to a skyscraper-like skyline.
I remember coming home from time to time as a broke college student on the greyhound bus and just standing around outside looking over what was then what seemed to be a vast wasteland.
I kinda felt that the area all started changing once they built the XM building on the other side of NY Ave. Slowly but surely other newer buildings popped up. Then came the super clubs that turned warehouses into "upscale" clubs, then came the retail and residential developments.
Just goes to show you that positive change can happen given the right vision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 02:52 PM

720 posts, read 1,554,771 times
I concur. I live a few blocks from that corner. The metro station that opened up in 2004 was really the biggest boost to help jumpstart the area I think. This area has tons of amenities now with H street & Union Station both 15 minutes walking distance, the farmer's market across Florida Ave. The new Harris Teeter that just opened up, I love it!

Old 02-01-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bossman View Post
I concur. I live a few blocks from that corner. The metro station that opened up in 2004 was really the biggest boost to help jumpstart the area I think. This area has tons of amenities now with H street & Union Station both 15 minutes walking distance, the farmer's market across Florida Ave. The new Harris Teeter that just opened up, I love it!
Yup, that metro station just made everything come together. It's crazy to think that this area has the ability to become the new "it" spot in DC. Given it's relatively easy access to NY Ave (which gets you to the tunnel to VA or the highway to MD) I can see more and more people moving in the area.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:55 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,715,972 times
I love that area. I have a friend that lives in a super nice apartment complex off of 3rd and K (I believe). If I ever leave SW, I would consider that area.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
I love that area. I have a friend that lives in a super nice apartment complex off of 3rd and K (I believe). If I ever leave SW, I would consider that area.
in my younger days i used to frequent a night club off of new york ave near 5th street. you used to have to park your car amidst a sea full of johns and tricks and men dressed like women or women who worked at a strip club and thugs just to get to the club. then they started redeveloping the area. it's now in the area where the busboys and poets is. i remember that all being just a pig parking lot/used car dealership area.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
in my younger days i used to frequent a night club off of new york ave near 5th street. you used to have to park your car amidst a sea full of johns and tricks and men dressed like women or women who worked at a strip club and thugs just to get to the club. then they started redeveloping the area. it's now in the area where the busboys and poets is. i remember that all being just a pig parking lot/used car dealership area.
Sounds like Love. Love is the only night club where I pay to park my car.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Nah, believe it or not i have never stepped foot in that club. just never appealed to me. i'm more of the lounge/bar type of guy. i'm talking about the old Juste Lounge that used to be across from the convention center. that was a nice little chill spot with great live music and bands.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
Nah, believe it or not i have never stepped foot in that club. just never appealed to me. i'm more of the lounge/bar type of guy. i'm talking about the old Juste Lounge that used to be across from the convention center. that was a nice little chill spot with great live music and bands.
I feel ya. I am a little of both. I like Park but I also like Indulj and Ben's next Door (I am really starting to like the U street area more and more.)

Please make no mistake, I am no fan of Love. I only go if there for special events and occasions.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:44 AM

468 posts, read 1,338,335 times
Quote:
Defintely not Love. Most people I know think Love is a joke.
I remember a local DJ who is a legend around here making fun of the place when it first opened. That told me all I needed to know. I have never been there and will never set foot in there. Good riddance. Nobody will remember that place 20 years from now.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLET View Post
Defintely not Love. Most people I know think Love is a joke.
I remember a local DJ who is a legend around here making fun of the place when it first opened. That told me all I needed to know. I have never been there and will never set foot in there. Good riddance. Nobody will remember that place 20 years from now.

I have only been twice, once for a Congressional Black Caucus party and once for a birthday party. I am no fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC