U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 03:18 PM

9,999 posts, read 8,837,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLET View Post
I think YOU know exactly what I am talking about

You are afraid of me putting you in a box?

LMAO!!!!!

I am not obsessed.

I just asked you a question and for some reason you do not want to answer it.

That is fine. I ask people on the streets all the time where they are from and I am used to people dodging the question and giving me 4 or 5 different answers when in reality such a question should only have 1 answer.

Some people are way too obsessed with being "urban"

They do not want to admit that they might not be what they think they are

DC natives (of all races) can see right through all of that B S
You're still not defining what you mean by 'urban' so it's hard to converse. Anyway, if it's between dodging the drug dealers and walking by vacant lot after vacant lot in Columbia Heights like I used to or dodging the clipboard brigade wanting me to save the orphaned whales like I do today, I'll take the Target.

I agree with you, though, that the influx of development hasn't brought much more ethnic food variety that wasn't already here since at least the 90s. The last thing I want is for DC to become another Arlington, but having staple shopping options in the city rather than having to go out to the burbs like we used to is welcome from my perspective. I don't think we need 4 Walmarts, though.

Anyway - we're starting to hijack this guy's thread by talking about the value of DC on a level that's probably beyond what he's looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 03:23 PM

4,033 posts, read 5,175,806 times
I don't think anyone is saying that there wasn't anything in DC before the year 2000.

What people are saying is that overall DC and its suburbs are better places to live. I know my neighborhood was pretty rough not too long ago and now its been cleaned up. Of course all of Arlington has been cleaned up despite the rough edges that still exist in south Arlington.

In the city itself? Well I think the development is a good thing. I just don't understand folks that want to turn back time and do away with progress. Why would you want to go back to a time when DC was a crime ridden city aka the murder capital? You can't prevent people from moving to the city.

As far as chains and such are concerned. Well...those stores can't survive without customers.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:34 PM

468 posts, read 749,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You're still not defining what you mean by 'urban' so it's hard to converse. Anyway, if it's between dodging the drug dealers and walking by vacant lot after vacant lot in Columbia Heights like I used to or dodging the clipboard brigade wanting me to save the orphaned whales like I do today, I'll take the Target.

I agree with you, though, that the influx of development hasn't brought much more ethnic food variety that wasn't already here since at least the 90s. The last thing I want is for DC to become another Arlington, but having staple shopping options in the city rather than having to go out to the burbs like we used to is welcome from my perspective. I don't think we need 4 Walmarts, though.
What I mean is people who are trying way too hard to be something they are not.

Fake. Trendy. Wanna-be urban.

"Let me post a picture of myself in front of the Capitol and upload it onto my Facebook page so all of my family and friends back home can see how urban I am now."

"Like, like, like, like, like, like, Yah!"

I am sure you have come across those kinds of people in your time living here.

There have always been such people here but more and more of those types have been invading DC recently.

I __________________ THEM!!!!!!!

(Use your imagination)

Old 02-01-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I don't think anyone is saying that there wasn't anything in DC before the year 2000.

What people are saying is that overall DC and its suburbs are better places to live. I know my neighborhood was pretty rough not too long ago and now its been cleaned up. Of course all of Arlington has been cleaned up despite the rough edges that still exist in south Arlington.

In the city itself? Well I think the development is a good thing. I just don't understand folks that want to turn back time and do away with progress. Why would you want to go back to a time when DC was a crime ridden city aka the murder capital? You can't prevent people from moving to the city.

As far as chains and such are concerned. Well...those stores can't survive without customers.
It all depends on what you define as better places to live.

There were never as many delays on the metrorail back in the days like there are now.

I do not remember people being trapped for 8+ hours on local roads during rush hour back in the days.

I do not want to turn back time but saying everything is better right now is debatable.

Besides arent you from Georgia?

How long have you been living here?

Old 02-01-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Anyway - we're starting to hijack this guy's thread by talking about the value of DC on a level that's probably beyond what he's looking for.
Ok. Fair enough.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:49 PM

9,999 posts, read 8,837,571 times
Quote:
What I mean is people who are trying way too hard to be something they are not.

Fake. Trendy. Wanna-be urban.

"Let me post a picture of myself in front of the Capitol and upload it onto my Facebook page so all of my family and friends back home can see how urban I am now."

"Like, like, like, like, like, like, Yah!"

I am sure you have come across those kinds of people in your time living here.

There have always been such people here but more and more of those types have been invading DC recently.

I __________________ THEM!!!!!!!

(Use your imagination)
hahha - "like like like...yah"

That's probably true for the early 20s crowd that just arrived from Springfield, Illinois. I'm not sure many people consider the capitol building very "urban" beyond their first month. I have seen such people post pictures with various famous / quasi famous politicos in the same way someone might post a pic of themselves with a movie star after moving to LA. I see that as more of an obnoxious "Look at where I am now, suckers!"

For me, I just like the city better than life in the suburbs or most other cities. I like the neighborhoods far better than downtown. I like the nightlife but recognize its limitations. I like the food. I like the transportation choices. I find most of the people who come here interesting in some way even if there is a homogeneity to their aspirations. I like the bookstores and design shops and the trees that are abundant even in the dense neighborhoods. I find the parks in the neighborhoods far more interesting than the big federal stuff by the Mall. I get annoyed that the national media can't show the real DC during news or sports events, making it seem like we live in bunkers under the monuments.

Anyway, like those people or not, you really shouldn't shove castigated goat testicles down their throats. (I used my imagination)

Old 02-01-2011, 04:13 PM

3,548 posts, read 4,984,692 times
Quote:
For me, I just like the city better than life in the suburbs or most other cities. I like the neighborhoods far better than downtown. I like the nightlife but recognize its limitations. I like the food. I like the transportation choices. I find most of the people who come here interesting in some way even if there is a homogeneity to their aspirations. I like the bookstores and design shops and the trees that are abundant even in the dense neighborhoods. I find the parks in the neighborhoods far more interesting than the big federal stuff by the Mall. I get annoyed that the national media can't show the real DC during news or sports events, making it seem like we live in bunkers under the monuments.
Completely agree. The "real" DC is such an interesting, quirky city, but you rarely see that aspect of it portrayed nationally. I've traveled to pretty much every city in the country, and I'd but DC's urban core up against just about any of them in terms of overall quality of life.

As to the "everything is better in DC nowadays" argument, well I think anyone who is honest would admit that isn't the case. Traffic is worse, Metro is much more crowded, and real estate is mind-blowingly expensive. And, yes, there is the presence of the obnoxious Fisher-Price "My First Big City Experience" crowd.

But overall, the city is in much better shape than it has been in decades. From the fact that entire neighborhoods have been cleaned up, to the fact that city services are functioning so much better, to the fact that retail, grocery stores and restaurants are opening in long-neglected neighborhoods, to the fact that the crime rate is substantially lower across all of the District.

The federal city stuff is just the icing on the cake for what, to me, is an immensely enjoyable and livable city.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
hahha - "like like like...yah"

That's probably true for the early 20s crowd that just arrived from Springfield, Illinois. I'm not sure many people consider the capitol building very "urban" beyond their first month. I have seen such people post pictures with various famous / quasi famous politicos in the same way someone might post a pic of themselves with a movie star after moving to LA. I see that as more of an obnoxious "Look at where I am now, suckers!"

Anyway, like those people or not, you really shouldn't shove castigated goat testicles down their throats. (I used my imagination)
Dont worry. I will not go as far as shoving castigated goat testicles down their throats but I have been known to put a few of them in their place from time to time if you know what I mean.

Once again just use your imagination.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:40 PM

4,033 posts, read 5,175,806 times
Quote:
It all depends on what you define as better places to live.

There were never as many delays on the metrorail back in the days like there are now.

I do not remember people being trapped for 8+ hours on local roads during rush hour back in the days.

I do not want to turn back time but saying everything is better right now is debatable.

Besides arent you from Georgia?

How long have you been living here?
I define less crime and more development as being better. And I'm not saying run the mom and pops out of town but from my understanding one didn't dare cross 16th St NW not too long ago. U Street was a no man's land as well, along with Columbia Heights. Not anymore. I'm sorry that's a good thing.

I understand the perils of gentrification. It sucks when people get priced out of neighborhoods. But the good still outweighs the bad.

The bad of course being the traffic here. The problems with metro has nothing to do with transplants but rather mismanagement. The traffic is due to roads not keeping pace with the rate of growth.

Yes I'm from Georgia. Never claimed to be a native. I've heard about DC way back when from talking to those who have been living here longer than I.

Why does it matter how long I've lived here? Two years.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:55 PM

9,400 posts, read 7,833,345 times
What you can't argue against is that the area's economy has greatly improved. With it comes more development, more people coming for jobs, which further boosts the economy... etc. I'd say that once-economically blighted neighborhoods no longer struggling is a good thing.

Less crime is also a good thing.

As for "being urban," what's wrong with that? Who wouldn't wanna live close to their job, close to good and unique restaurants, close to the gym, close to nightlife, close to, well, the things that give you enjoyment? It's also a wiser use of space, and it's more environmentally responsible than having tons of people driving gas-guzzlers for anything from getting groceries to getting some Tylenol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC