Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 07:47 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,381,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLET View Post
Now while I can tolerate people like you there is a large percentage of the native DC population THAT HATES YOUR _________ GUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!
That seems to be their problem rather than the transplants'.

DC isn't going back to the way it was. Natives have a choice: adapt and thrive, move out, or complain online until their fingers fall off. But a few angry natives aren't going to stop the city's progress.

Not that this is unique to DC- you have a few people on pretty much every board talking about how great things used to be. I don't believe there's ever been a place that actually went back to the way things used to be, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 08:02 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Quote:
Of course plenty of transplants have me beat.
By now though most of those transplants have been living here longer than they have lived anywhere else.

Do you think I hate all transplants?

I said this once and I will say it again.

For me...

1991 DC > 2011 DC

Now obviously you are going to have older generations say 1951, 1961 or 1971 were superior and I am fine with that. From the stories I have heard and pictures I have seen it probably was better. Much better in fact.

Now for some transplant to come on here and say things are better now and nothing was here before the year 2000 is offensive to me.

There was a lot going on here before the year 2000. Lots of great memories for me.

In fact one of those memories just happens to involve a huge brawl/huge fight I witnessed In Georgetown involving transplant yuppies against transplant yuppies. Man if only I owned a video camera back then.

I read threads on here where recent transplants to this area say something ridiculous such as "SW DC has so much potential"

Well little do they know SW DC already reached its potential years ago before they arrived here. SW DC used to be a huge nightclub spot back in the days. Nightclubs far superior to anything going on right now.

Little things like that bother me.

I am sure you understand where I am coming from.

I am not from the ghetto either.

Most of my life I went to private schools with less than a handful of years spent at public schools.
I never thought you were from the ghetto, but an Izod popped-collar brawl and transvestite / strip clubs in abandoned warehouses is what made 1991 the Best Year Ever? I don't think that's what people have in mind when they say SW has a lot of potential.

I thought you were going to talk about SW before "urban renewal" destroyed all the great black neighborhoods in the 1960s. That was probably a lot closer to reaching its full potential than anything since. The area is still struggling to recover from that period.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:11 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,256 times
No.

Missing the everything being available at any hour of NYC, brotherhood of Philly (even in the tough hood), excitement of Boston, comforting of Georgia, Beauty of NC, liberation of Colorado, fashionhood... freedom... creativity... OK, I can't come up with anything that California have that's better than NE states, and on top of that, I want someone to answer this question sincerely with some perspective on why DC is any better place than any where 200 miles from here.

I can't think of anything except it's a good place for the lawyers, law makers and law enforcers. That's a lot of restrictions in one place if you ask me.

Reflecting pond is very nice though...

But

Old 02-01-2011, 08:22 PM

468 posts, read 1,338,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I never thought you were from the ghetto, but an Izod popped-collar brawl and transvestite / strip clubs in abandoned warehouses is what made 1991 the Best Year Ever? I don't think that's what people have in mind when they say SW has a lot of potential.

I thought you were going to talk about SW before "urban renewal" destroyed all the great black neighborhoods in the 1960s. That was probably a lot closer to reaching its full potential than anything since. The area is still struggling to recover from that period.
See I know you have been here for a while by your comments so why dont you just tell me where you are from or at least how long you have been living here.

Those 2 examples were just random but you know exactly what I was getting at.

By the way one of yuppies involved in the fight threatened to go and get his gun but luckily some of his friends talked him out of it. He was 100% serious though. I seriously thought bullets were about to start flying. LMAO!!!!!

Old 02-01-2011, 08:33 PM

468 posts, read 1,338,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
I don't believe there's ever been a place that actually went back to the way things used to be, though.
Actually a few years ago when I was up in NYC a lot of the kids there were trying their damnedest to look like they jumped right out of a 1988 high school yearbook.

It was scary. I had to pinch myself to make sure I was not dreaming.

Talk about fashion crimes. Ouch.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
See I know you have been here for a while by your comments so why dont you just tell me where you are from or at least how long you have been living here.

Those 2 examples were just random but you know exactly what I was getting at.

By the way one of yuppies involved in the fight threatened to go and get his gun but luckily some of his friends talked him out of it. He was 100% serious though. I seriously thought bullets were about to start flying. LMAO!!!!!
Yeah - I know what you meant.

Getting his gun is code for knowing where his father hides the key to the hunting rifle.

And - yeah - the 80s came raging back a few years back in NYC. Sometimes it's good to be in a fashion backwater.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
No.

Missing the everything being available at any hour of NYC, brotherhood of Philly (even in the tough hood), excitement of Boston, comforting of Georgia, Beauty of NC, liberation of Colorado, fashionhood... freedom... creativity... OK, I can't come up with anything that California have that's better than NE states, and on top of that, I want someone to answer this question sincerely with some perspective on why DC is any better place than any where 200 miles from here.

I can't think of anything except it's a good place for the lawyers, law makers and law enforcers. That's a lot of restrictions in one place if you ask me.

Reflecting pond is very nice though...

But
I've lived in Boston, and if you honestly think Boston is more exciting than DC and the reflecting pool is the nicest part of our city, I have to ask what part of Fairfax do you live in?

Old 02-01-2011, 08:55 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times
Quote:
Well I would not go down to Georgia and start telling them things about their ciites even if I had already been living there for 20+ years, but thats just me.

For some reason a lot of transplants to DC think they know everything about the DC area after just a few years of living here.
I guess that has to do with a lot of the big ego types this city attracts.

I am not accusing you of that but I am sure you can understand where I am coming from.
Huh??? So because you were born here I'm not allowed to have a rebuttal? I read and I talk to people nothing more, that's how I formed my previously stated opinion. I heard how great nightlife was back in the day but you can only go to so many clubs.

I never claimed to know everything about the DC area. I don't have a big ego. I'm not one of those folks that moved to DC from some fancy schmancy ivy league school. It was just a coincidence that the job I applied for was up here. At the end of the day I'm a working professional just trying to get by.

I understand where you're coming from but I just don't agree with it. The amount of time I've spent here doesn't invalidate my opinion in the least particularly when I'm going off facts and history. I stand firmly by my previous statement.

I still don't understand why 1991 was so much better than 2011. So far your responses to this inquiry have been vague and cryptically anecdotal. So why don't you give three specific examples that an out of touch Georgian such as myself can understand. Also, if 1991 was so awesome what can we do to restore DC to its "former glory", because we can't kick out the "transplants".

Old 02-01-2011, 08:58 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I've lived in Boston, and if you honestly think Boston is more exciting than DC and the reflecting pool is the nicest part of our city, I have to ask what part of Fairfax do you live in?
I'm straight and love Boston. I had a real great time in Boston for about 4 years off and on and I'm sorry if you didn't, but DC doesn't come close to Boston or NYC.

You tell me what's so great about DC. The tourists? The momuments? SW seafood market? U st? seeing the plane land above your head? G-town with their Abercrombie and fitch deal that they stole from Havard square about 10 + years ago?

what is so great that makes this city? Convince me, you and Bullet apparently love this city so much, you should be able to convince the "non-native" residents, instead of spilling some non-sense about local and not local crap from the 80's.

Last edited by Plokivos; 02-01-2011 at 09:10 PM..

Old 02-01-2011, 09:11 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
what is so great that makes this city?
highly educated populace

one of the highest income metro areas

lots of ethnic and cultural diversity

practically all kinds of ethnic foods

people from all over the world

strong and stable job market (relatively)

largest museum complex in the world

top-ranking museums and art galleries

one of the nation's most extensive metro systems

iconic historic sites

unique looking city

seat of the most powerful government in the world

global city

surrounded by two very good states

mountains, lakes, parks, beaches nearby

practically any outdoor activity you could ever partake in

etc., etc.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 02-01-2011 at 09:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC