Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 02:41 PM

162 posts, read 458,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Yeah but trains break down in New York. Every city has its problems. I would say the biggest nuisance with metro is the escalators breaking down all the time. But even that is luxury problem since a lot of cities don't even have escalators for their rail lines stations.

I still stand by my Woodley Park/Adams Morgan suggestion. I really like that area. Woodley Park is a little more quiet while Adams Morgan is more adventurous with lots of bars.
I do miss NYC trains, but you're right--no system is perfect by any means. I am still grateful for whatever I can get! Do the buses run pretty well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 07:54 AM

159 posts, read 279,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Rae View Post
Do the buses run pretty well?
Better than most cities, but it really depends on the bus line.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:22 PM

19 posts, read 81,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Rae View Post
Thank you, Terrence. I have had a couple of friends tell me that Woodley Park and Adams Morgan are great areas. And since I'm not familiar with how the metro runs, I probably will look to live off the red line.
I lived in Woodley Park close to 10 years ago and it is a pretty fun place to live, you can walk to Adams Morgan when it is nice out and Cleveland park has some good restaurants and shops. It is expensive though, I lived in a 2 bedroom with a room mate and it was $1700, it is surely more now. There are also a ton of tourists in the area in spring and summer because of the zoo which can get a little annoying after a while.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Tunechi View Post
Better than most cities, but it really depends on the bus line.
Right, I'll have to do some research on the bus lines, but it looks like NW DC is probably where I'll end up, at least until I become familiar.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcvtss View Post
I lived in Woodley Park close to 10 years ago and it is a pretty fun place to live, you can walk to Adams Morgan when it is nice out and Cleveland park has some good restaurants and shops. It is expensive though, I lived in a 2 bedroom with a room mate and it was $1700, it is surely more now. There are also a ton of tourists in the area in spring and summer because of the zoo which can get a little annoying after a while.
Aah, tourists. Right. I'm hoping not to spend more than $1000/month renting out a room, and after scanning Craig's List a bit, I think I should be able to find something.

Thanks for the advice!!

Old 04-22-2011, 07:25 AM

1 posts, read 24,625 times
Default advice

My partner and I are seriously thinking of moving to DC in the next two years or so. He is a an MD (family physician) and I work in finance. In the past, we have visited Washington DC once before and it was in the month of June. As I remember, it was an extremely hot month. Currently, our residence is in NH so for us the cold weather is the number one reason to move out of the state. We are just sick of it!!! Yesterday, April 20, it was snowing, yes.. and the temperature was 28F.
For some reason we just love DC....We are thinking of taking a week vacation and spend the time not as "tourists" but as "residents" and get the feeling on how would we live our everyday lives in the city.
Our preference would be a rental place (apartment around $1500-2000/m) in one of the nicest area of DC, preferebaly walking distance to a hospital or a health clinic.
The second choice would be a wonderful suburb of DC, with the same points listed above, walking distance to a hospital, health clinic and a metro into the city.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:30 PM

56 posts, read 159,287 times
Default London vs. D.C.

I'm looking at relocating to D.C. in the next few months. This is a great thread though undoubtedly I'll have many more of questions when the time comes. Is there anyone who might be able to make a general comparison between Greater London (UK) and the D.C. Metropolitan area?

I visited D.C. last summer, and I'm vaguely familiar with other major US cities but I'd be grateful for anyone who can put D.C. into the London context. For example, the recent threads referring to delays on the Metro would make for a fairly normal day in London too.

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2011, 10:29 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alegria2 View Post
I'm looking at relocating to D.C. in the next few months. This is a great thread though undoubtedly I'll have many more of questions when the time comes. Is there anyone who might be able to make a general comparison between Greater London (UK) and the D.C. Metropolitan area?
Considering that they are two vastly different cities, they're not really comparable. London is gigantic, incredibly dense, and an international hub for finance, business and culture. DC is considerably smaller, less dense, and has a much less diversified economy. You're not really going to be able to make any 1:1 comparisons--i.e. "Dupont Circle is DC's Piccadilly Circus". London just exists on a different plane--its peers are New York, Paris and similar cities.

All that said, there are some traits that they have in common: both have dense, walkable cores, both have expansive public transit systems, both are excellent cities for people who enjoy museums, galleries and cultural diversions, and both have considerable amounts of parkland.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:14 AM

6 posts, read 23,560 times
OK, I'm looking here first. Thrill me.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:47 AM

7 posts, read 59,078 times
I'm looking to find an apartment near Eastern Market/Barracks row (around 8th st- not in navy yard). I know most of them are townhouses or usually rooms for rent. Can anyone make a suggestion how to search for a place there (other than craigslist or a google search) or make any recommendations for an affordable 1bdr?? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC