Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 10:37 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times

Advertisements

What balderdash -- it's dangerous to try to stop, the study is invalid, the dog ate my homework. Very simple -- it's the law. It's a good law. It reduces speeding and reduces accidents due to morons running red lights. If we can't reduce the population of morons, at least make them behave more acceptably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 11:22 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,638,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
What balderdash -- it's dangerous to try to stop, the study is invalid, the dog ate my homework. Very simple -- it's the law. It's a good law. It reduces speeding and reduces accidents due to morons running red lights. If we can't reduce the population of morons, at least make them behave more acceptably.

NOTE - READ EVERYTHING IN MY POST BEFORE REPLYING

"It reduces speeding and reduces accidents", I got that the first time.

Based on what evidence does red light cameras reduce accidents, some study that leaves out other factors that I've mentioned?

I'm not arguing whether running the red light is a good law, I've stated that they don't provide the safety. Go back and read some of my post where I stated why I feel that way instead of just reiterating what already been said.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:37 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
I've stated why, perhaps you should read that too.
I read what you wrote. Still doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps it's because I'm predominantly a pedestrian in this city, but there are laws to ensure that when I have a walk signal, I can start walking without having to worry about getting plowed down. People who live here know where the red light cameras are and the speeding cameras and their presence undoubtedly affects behavior at those intersections / stretches.

Anyway - 2008 isn't exactly a long time ago.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:42 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,638,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I read what you wrote. Still doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps it's because I'm predominantly a pedestrian in this city, but there are laws to ensure that when I have a walk signal, I can start walking without having to worry about getting plowed down. People who live here know where the red light cameras are and the speeding cameras and their presence undoubtedly affects behavior at those intersections / stretches.

Anyway - 2008 isn't exactly a long time ago.
Quote:
but there are laws to ensure that when I have a walk signal, I can start walking without having to worry about getting plowed down
I've never said anything about the laws because laws isn't the issue here. I'm not against the laws. Pedestrians struck by drivers are not always the fault of the driver.

Quote:
People who live here know where the red light cameras are and the speeding cameras and their presence undoubtedly affects behavior at those intersections / stretches
Does that prove red light camera prevent crashes?

Quote:
Anyway - 2008 isn't exactly a long time ago
Neither was 2009-2010 and both aren't included in the study.

Instead of red light cameras, traffic lights should have a red light delay at all corners so the intersection is clear.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:02 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Maybe the study was conducted during the time period it says, and then it took a while to compile all the data and make sense of it?

Anyway, I do agree that a red light camera should not activate until the intersection has cleared. I also think the shortening of yellow light times is abominable (IIRC, the standard is 1 second for every 10MPH of the speed limit for that road. So a 30MPH road has a 3 second light, a 50MPH road has a 5 second light, etc).

Old 02-06-2011, 01:28 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Try not speeding.
Who? Me? I don't speed in the District, and have never gotten one of the photo tickets.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:37 PM

317 posts, read 1,003,011 times
Quote:

More people put themselves at risk trying not run the light. Stopping at a signal with a camera suddenly isn't as simple as some of you think, regardless of the speed. Some signals include shorting of the yellow. 6 cities have already been caught shortening yellow lights during the same period as the study.
It's a scam. All that saving lives is BS. If these cameras aren't about money, prove it. They want to save lives, delay the red lights and put a appropriate timing for yellow lights, cheaper and more efficient than some oversight camera.

"delay the red lights and put a appropriate timing for yellow lights, cheaper and more efficient than some oversight camera."

I think same way !

Old 02-07-2011, 01:57 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,822 times
Everybody please calm down and discuss the topic, not each other's logic skills. Agree to disagree instead of fighting.
Yac.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:13 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Very good study
Solid methodology
Meaningful statistics (99 cities compared)
Incontrovertible conclusion: Red light cameras save lives.

http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/pdf/r1151.pdf

[C]amera programs were associated with statistically significant citywide reductions of 24 percent in the rate of fatal red light running crashes and 17 percent in the rate of all fatal crashes at signalized intersections, when compared with rates that would have been expected without cameras. The larger effect of camera enforcement on the rate of fatal red light running crashes would be expected because these are the crashes targeted by cameras. The significant reduction in the rate of all types of fatal crashes at signalized intersections indicates that cameras have a generalized effect on driver behavior at intersections that extends beyond running red lights.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:15 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,551 times
Quote:
I don't agree with the study at all. If people are still running the lights, then how safety is improving? The study is based from 2004-2008, making it invalid.
First of all, fewer people are running red lights--meaning that safety has improved. It's not particularly difficult to see that. The cameras never promised to completely eradicate poor driving behavior, but rather to decrease it. Which it has.

Secondly, I fail to see why a study that encompasses five years worth of data, up to and including 2008, is "invalid". It's statistically significant, and controls for other factors. I don't see any issues with this study that should make it "invalid".

Methinks you are simply opposed to the concept of traffic cameras for whatever reason. Personally, I supported them before the studies came out showing that they were effective deterrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC