Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 05:01 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times

Advertisements

40 cents wow... I can only remember when it was $1.25 for the bus, although I don't miss paper transfers. I remember when I was a young lad and a bus driver gave me a stern lesson on how you need to get a transfer slip when you get ON the bus, not off.

I also remember when the non-WMATA buses didn't take SmarTrip, so if I wanted to take the bus home I'd have to wait for a Metrobus and not a RideOn bus which could be hellish sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 05:33 PM

257 posts, read 458,176 times
I remember when the bus fare was based on zones.
Like if you caught a bus from downtown dc to wheaton i'll cost like $1.85 back then because you have the dc base fare plus maryland zone 1. also the transfers we're only one directional if you we're going to or from the suburbs (In and out transfers) so if you wanted to go back in the opposite direction you had to pay another fare.

I think they ended this in the late 90's and went to a base $1.10 bus fare. Then to $1.20, then $1.25, and now $1.50 with a smartrip or $1.70 without it.

I miss the paper transfers though, used to always get special treatment and get 7 hour transfers.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:37 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,966 times
... you gave your half smoked cig to a homeless guy. Then he smoke it.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:01 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,784 times
I remember F street at Christmas between Garfinkles to Hecht Co, all was decorated. Garfinkles windows were wonderful.

I remember the OLD Old Ebbit...more a bar than the upscale watering hole it is now. they had the best burgers!

I remember trying to cross K street during Metro construction...that was the time of platform shoes. Once saw a girl wearing very high platforms break her ankle in a stumble over Metro construction debris.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:38 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
I recall when 14th and U had all the ambience of Dresden circa 1945.

I recall my mother taking me to a neighborhood swim party where the guest speaker was first time candidate for City Council, Marion Barry, a civil rights activists.

I remember ads for Morton's Crazy Days Sales.

I remember when the current Royal Palace was called, Eric's: Where the Action Is. Great round sign with 1970s fonts.

I remember when Channel 20 was an indy TV station and featured Captain 20 who moonlighted (still does) as Count Gore Vidal on Creature Feature.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:00 AM

331 posts, read 1,198,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I recall when 14th and U had all the ambience of Dresden circa 1945.

I recall my mother taking me to a neighborhood swim party where the guest speaker was first time candidate for City Council, Marion Barry, a civil rights activists.

I remember ads for Morton's Crazy Days Sales.

I remember when the current Royal Palace was called, Eric's: Where the Action Is. Great round sign with 1970s fonts.

I remember when Channel 20 was an indy TV station and featured Captain 20 who moonlighted (still does) as Count Gore Vidal on Creature Feature.
OMG, Moth I thought I was old! LOL. Morton's was the store! I remember Captain 20 too but I had no idea that he was Count Gore Vidal.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:59 AM

165 posts, read 530,452 times
You all need to click on all these links for some real nostalgia about D.C. in the 50s - 60s - 70s:

Home Page Kidshow.dcmemories.com Click on the name of each show, or each host personality. You can see there were 3 separate "Captain 20" hosts over the years. The first one, John Kallimanis, was a classmate of mine at PGCC in 1969-70 - he was from either Mount Rainier or Brentwood MD.

* The Joy Boys - Ed Walker and Willard Scott - - - Walker, who has been Blind almost since birth, still emcee's the "Big Broadcast" on WAMU 88.5 FM every Sunday night. Everybody knows Scott, who grew up in Rosemont, Alexandria - and portrayed the first ever "Ronald McDonald" before becoming the Today Show's weatherman.

MARLOW HEIGHTS 60's & 70's - this was actually the first enclosed Mall anywhere in the D.C. area (it still exists). Next to it, was the last remaining Hot Shoppes cafeteria (which was turned over to other management in the late 1990s). Remember the Topps Drive-In's "Might Mo" burger ? (named after the battleship Missouri).

Celebrating Northern Virginia's Recent History Through Pictures and Information.

http://amandfmmorningside.com If you heard your name announced on the air, and called in, they would mail you a free logo T-shirt.

Sholl's Colonial Cafeteria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -- I ate there many times.

Last edited by slowlane2; 02-15-2011 at 12:29 PM..

Old 02-15-2011, 03:09 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedWell View Post
OMG, Moth I thought I was old! LOL. Morton's was the store! I remember Captain 20 too but I had no idea that he was Count Gore Vidal.
Still is:

Vampire Horror Host Count Gore De Vol Creature Feature (http://countgore.com/gore/index.html - broken link)

Old 02-24-2011, 05:13 PM

40 posts, read 95,567 times
. . . you remember when Anacostia High was all white!

Old 02-24-2011, 05:26 PM

468 posts, read 1,338,257 times

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC