Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 06:47 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,545,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Shele View Post
I've lived in the DMV area my entire life and I can say I absolutely HATE IT HERE!!!! The traffic, the cost of living and the horrible people in this city suck!!! The only reasons keeping me in this area are my family and my job. Maybe one day I will have the chance to leave and keep some sanity. I think I would choose Charlotte, NC. Not too far from my family, the people are polite, affordable living and the traffic is adorable compared to the torture I have to endure here Sunday through Saturday.
I find it hard to believe that people in Charlotte are more polite than people in D.C.

Is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 03:01 PM

27,557 posts, read 28,652,113 times
If I ever thought of moving away from the DC area, I fear I would greatly miss out on so many of the things the area offers. I don't think I could adjust to a place that doesn't have the amenities the DC area has.

The only exception would be the NYC area.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 05-06-2011 at 03:15 PM..

Old 05-06-2011, 06:47 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,151,983 times
Yep, I just can't see myself not living here unless it's New York. I'm not gonna decide one day, pack and move to Ohio for no reason.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:15 PM

27,557 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Yep, I just can't see myself not living here unless it's New York. I'm not gonna decide one day, pack and move to Ohio for no reason.
Exactly. It's true that many places in the U.S. have a lower COL than the DC area. However, you often get what you pay for is what I say.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:31 PM

161 posts, read 328,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RozCat View Post
Now this makes me smile. I'm no DC booster, but If you're from GA GaBison like I am then you gotta know first hand that the ATL is the *Mecca* for glossy ghettofab superficial materialistic fashion show McMansion-living SUV-driving ridiculousness- and that goes for black and white folks. Maybe the reality of the foreclosure crisis have tempered things a bit, but most of the people I know in ATL-- people I grew up with--spend their time shopping to decorate the McMansions, sitting in traffic, feeding the egos of some mega church "pastor", clubbing or star-gazing for Yung Jeezy or whoever.

On the other hand, I do appreciate the self-determination that Blacks in ATL seem to have over the folks in the DC area, who seemed content to be the HNIC at some gov't agency, association, law firm, union, etc.. ATL is the mecca of Black entrepreneurship.
lol; real talk ...

Old 05-10-2011, 11:00 AM

176 posts, read 288,463 times
I didn't read much of this thread but it really gets to me when people generalize the citizens of DC saying most of them "don't dream", and "work too hard", and "are too involved with politics".

Do you guys just hang out on the hill all day?

I mean seriously, I meet people that are the opposite of those stereotypes everyday. This is an incredibly diverse city.

Even the bad parts make me smile. When I'm sitting in traffic wanting to blow my brains out, I'm a bit thankful because a) traffic means a lot of people are here and for a reason and b) the interstate systems and roads suck because this city was designed in a certain way in order for it to be more unique, European, and beautiful.

If you don't like DC stop complaining and generalizing the residents and move.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:10 PM

999 posts, read 2,011,048 times
You are funny, Caitlin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlindwarf View Post
I didn't read much of this thread but it really gets to me when people generalize the citizens of DC saying most of them "don't dream", and "work too hard", and "are too involved with politics".

Do you guys just hang out on the hill all day?

I mean seriously, I meet people that are the opposite of those stereotypes everyday. This is an incredibly diverse city.

Even the bad parts make me smile. When I'm sitting in traffic wanting to blow my brains out, I'm a bit thankful because a) traffic means a lot of people are here and for a reason and b) the interstate systems and roads suck because this city was designed in a certain way in order for it to be more unique, European, and beautiful.

If you don't like DC stop complaining and generalizing the residents and move.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:19 PM

161 posts, read 328,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Exactly. It's true that many places in the U.S. have a lower COL than the DC area. However, you often get what you pay for is what I say.
there is a reason why the COL is as cheap as it is in Ohio ...

Old 05-11-2011, 10:22 PM

176 posts, read 288,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
You are funny, Caitlin.
How so?

Myself and many of my friends and co-workers represent the opposite of your generalized description of DC residents. I just don't appreciate being lumped into a group like that.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:22 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,937,731 times
I came to the City-data forums in the first place to research cities to move to because I hate DC. Terrible traffic, rude people, unattractive stuck up women, nonexistent rock music scene, horrible night life, insane rent prices. You have to be kind of the type-A yuppie workaholic to enjoy life here, I'd prefer being around cool nice people who like to have fun while I still have my youth. I've been skimping on everything to save up enough cash to get out of this hellhole, I'd love to move to somewhere like the Raleigh-Durham area or possibly Charlottesville or Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC