Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,302 times

Advertisements

In southern charles county where we currently own a a large surburban home, for the past 6 years, was really nice place to live, however, we did not know a large complex of apartments were going to be built, and now the area, is becomming increasingly African-American and uneducated education illegls (with this influx moving in from teh DC-SE area, with this influx, unfortunately, has come an element of unemployed young Black men, wondering aimlessly, unattended children, very rude people, illegals living 20 people strong in a 2 bedroom apartment-having said that we are trying to sell our home and move in the Hillcrest Area of Washington DC. I am proud educated and very pround African American!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 11:26 AM

465 posts, read 928,301 times
ITT: (-) once sees the perpetual boogeyman of racism and believes people should be afforded special privileges due to their race.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:23 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamston,57 View Post
In southern charles county where we currently own a a large surburban home, for the past 6 years, was really nice place to live, however, we did not know a large complex of apartments were going to be built, and now the area, is becomming increasingly African-American and uneducated education illegls (with this influx moving in from teh DC-SE area, with this influx, unfortunately, has come an element of unemployed young Black men, wondering aimlessly, unattended children, very rude people, illegals living 20 people strong in a 2 bedroom apartment-having said that we are trying to sell our home and move in the Hillcrest Area of Washington DC. I am proud educated and very pround African American!
Good luck in Hillcrest. Unfortunately it seems like it doesn't take a lot for an area to go down hill. Although it sounds like there are problems with aesthetics. I mean has the crime actually gone up? In my neighborhood there's a corner that is always crowded with folks just loitering around doing nothing. Its an eyesore at best but at the end of the day no one has ever bothered me and I've never been a victim to crime in the year that I've been living in my neck of the woods.

Any reason for moving to Hillcrest? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Hillcrest a nice well-to-do neighborhood surrounded by far less pleasant ones? From my understanding SE DC is full of nice neighborhoods but over shadowed by the bad ones just around the corner. But what do I know?

Old 03-28-2011, 12:31 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
ITT: (-) once sees the perpetual boogeyman of racism and believes people should be afforded special privileges due to their race.
Oh brother. No one said anything about handouts. So why are you? Not everything has to become a race war based on out dated stereotypes.

The guy in the news article/audio clip lamented not being able to the house he wanted for the same price as his spacious suburban home. While I can certainly understand being upset about not being able to afford a house in the neighborhood one grew up, as mentioned I don't have a lot of sympathy for the guy. Capitol Heights isn't that far from Anacostia and nothing is preventing him from visiting or making the sacrifices necessary to buy a house in Anacostia.

I think people who are so against gentrification are lamenting change. At the end of the day change is inevitable. That still doesn't justify annoying and offensive comments.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:56 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamston,57 View Post
I've always liked the Hillcrest area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC