Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 09:01 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
DC's street grid is pretty and unique for a US city. I love the colorful rowhomes too. I am surprised more people don't talk about DCs beauty. And thank god DC is not full of ugly rectangle boxes-- ie skyscrapers.
Unfortunately, a lot of the beautiful row homes were not well maintained so they didn't look too pretty. However, with all the gentrification going on these days the badly maintained rowhomes are becoming more and more rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 10:46 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,966 times
I think DC is beautiful. There are things that you can't find in any other states. For example, Gravel Park, and if you go West, those HUGE bridges near Beach Drive.

I didn't realize this before, but I think the people who live there are unique and beautiful as well.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:20 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
I look forward to bumping this thread when its snowing in March again.
bump

Old 04-09-2016, 06:10 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
bump
It's not March and I have not seen a single flake all day.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:01 AM

72 posts, read 108,161 times
Only in the western parts of the city.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:43 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my post View Post
Only in the western parts of the city.
Those parts are the richest and therefore count the most anyway. ;-)

Old 04-12-2016, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,045 times
I think DC is gorgeous. The architecture, neighborhoods, all of it!

Old 04-18-2016, 08:02 AM

12,902 posts, read 18,751,931 times
I put DC up there with Charleston in terms of urban aesthetics. I have lived to prefer the scale of "non-skycraper" cities. I used to be all about tall buildings. Now I feel I was misguided by my own youthful silliness. For the record, I'm not 80-something or anything like that. I'm 57.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:45 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,939 times
From an objective standpoint, DC is a beautiful city. I myself hate it with an extreme passion and can't wait to leave. But, I really do wish that it hurrys up and goes through its inner city gentrification but while providing care and assistance for the displaced. It is really time that DC becomes its own and gets rid of this stigma.

The reason why I say this is because DC is rather deceptive. People come not really knowing what to expect. They think they do but they really don't. And no, you can't say that about every major city. When you go to NY, Chicago, Atlanta, Meeyamee, LA, Frisco, et al, you generally know what to expect but experiences may vary for some. But DC, for those that come by default, are sort of blindsided. And I think this is why DC gets such a bad rap.

Once DC comes into its own where its majority educated and affluent, the city will texturize itself accordingly and people that don't belong here will think twice about moving here simply for "the good job". And those that are here by default will accept it and complain less. Having a good job in a crappy living space (to them) is not worth for the majority of people but many just stick it out.

Also, the people that live and conform to DC standard need to change. Because even by writing this, DC boosters will complain in saying that DC is like every other city but then jump on everyone else like snow leopards the moment DC is called out for being bland. So pick your battle, what's it going to be? It's either unique or just like any other city but it can't be both!! DC folk have a really issue- I would not call it an inferior complex but it comes close to it. When you get upset for not being like other world class cities but also getting upset when told you are unique. I really can't stand this one conundrum after another.

Working educated class like and appreciate DC texture- which is not bland to them. It's the way they operate. Just like Meeyamee is a party town and operates with multiple forms of attractions for the hustlers in paradise.

Bottom line, DC needs a no question identity because right now, far too many people come here expecting one thing and are surprised by the atmosphere. And in reality, they shouldn’t because DC has its own specific mission and will never ever change.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:12 AM

12,902 posts, read 18,751,931 times
As far as an identity is concerned, the "nation's capital" goes a long way. What I used to think was bland was graceful all along. I lived there from July of 1979 through 1983. I thought it was bland and boring by appearance and vibe. I have grown to appreciate the scale, and the vibe has improved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC