Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 11:33 AM

837 posts, read 1,798,440 times

Advertisements

What a fantastic place to live.

Just here to balance the other 9,483,293 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 11:39 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times
+10

Old 02-19-2011, 12:02 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
I agree, obviously, but it's not a good fit for everyone. Basically people who are stuck driving most of the time and people who don't like to be around those motivated and driven tend to hate this place the most.

I've lived places where people's primary goal is to kick back and enjoy life and I find it boring and rather self-serving after a while. It's good for me to be in a place where people care what they do but also know how to have a good time.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:10 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,181 times
Yesterday, I played a bit of hooky from work--what was I supposed to do on a sunny, 74 degree Friday in February? I ended up hanging out in the new Georgetown riverfront park reading for a good part of the afternoon, then walked through Georgetown on M Street, down Pennsylvania and then north on New Hampshire to Dupont. The city was just alive with people--restaurants had their patios open, people were out in the park, lots of pedestrian and auto traffic for people heading for night out on the town on the first nice evening since October...there was just an energy to the place that was hard to describe.

God knows I have times when I'm down on this city--the cost of living, the traffic, the entitlement among some of the people here, and so on. But last night was one of those nights where I was reminded how much I love living here, too. Sitting in the middle of Dupont Circle at 6 PM, watching what seemed to be half the city out and about, the sun going down over the buildings as I looked west towards Georgetown...I thought to myself, you can have New York--this is where I want to be. And so it is.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:28 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
I couldn't have said it better, 14th.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:41 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,070,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Yesterday, I played a bit of hooky from work--what was I supposed to do on a sunny, 74 degree Friday in February? I ended up hanging out in the new Georgetown riverfront park reading for a good part of the afternoon, then walked through Georgetown on M Street, down Pennsylvania and then north on New Hampshire to Dupont. The city was just alive with people--restaurants had their patios open, people were out in the park, lots of pedestrian and auto traffic for people heading for night out on the town on the first nice evening since October...there was just an energy to the place that was hard to describe.

God knows I have times when I'm down on this city--the cost of living, the traffic, the entitlement among some of the people here, and so on. But last night was one of those nights where I was reminded how much I love living here, too. Sitting in the middle of Dupont Circle at 6 PM, watching what seemed to be half the city out and about, the sun going down over the buildings as I looked west towards Georgetown...I thought to myself, you can have New York--this is where I want to be. And so it is.

well said

Old 02-19-2011, 03:23 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,715,972 times
I enjoy driving more than catching metro and yes I stay in the city. Something about cruising with my windows up and listening to a nice CD and not have to jump on and off a train...

Old 02-19-2011, 09:42 PM

688 posts, read 1,247,226 times
I miss my Zoom-Zoom....and 0 to 100 on the entrance ramp

Old 02-20-2011, 08:45 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,008 times
One great thing that is always overlooked about D.C. is the Beltway system (not really D.C. proper but anyways...).

No other city has such an efficient way to travel around its Metro area.

Since efficiency is king in D.C. you can't beat the Beltway for road travel around the District boundaries.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:47 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
One great thing that is always overlooked about D.C. is the Beltway system (not really D.C. proper but anyways...).

No other city has such an efficient way to travel around its Metro area.

Since efficiency is king in D.C. you can't beat the Beltway for road travel around the District boundaries.
Honestly, when it's not bogged down by traffic, the Beltway is really really good for getting around the area. That can be said of any interstate really... that's what they were built for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC