Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 08:11 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,940,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
being objective here, i don't think you really got what she was saying. she empathized with government workers, i think she was just saying what makes you guys any different from the private sector employees and even state and local government employees who have been laid off, fired, and furloughed.
Then you just missed the point of my post. There are employees being laid off in the government as well, just not at the same rate. But that's the sacrifice you take to go to public sector versus private sector. To suggest that, we are going suffer because we didn't 'save our money' is just straight up ignorant. We are not paid well, that's my point. What they get in extra pay in private sector to have unstable jobs, is what we miss in pay just to have a more stable job. My peers, in the event they get laid off or furloughed, make more than enough to survive, but most government employees, especially new ones like myself don't have the option to 'save my money'. It's as if people think we are privileged, if the economy was doing well then just like ahales, people wouldn't think these jobs would be worth anything, but now that everyone else is suffering, they want us to suffer too. We do suffer, most of suffer, every pay period, but that sacrifice of getting paid less is why I still have a job and a lot of my peers do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 12:36 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,449,737 times
They're going to pass this 2 week CR anyway, so I wouldn't worry about the shut down just yet.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:01 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,860,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
How about this. We take the budget cuts out of foreign aid.
and the folks that work in foreign aid will say hey, why don't we take the budget cuts out of NASA and so and so forth.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:05 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,707,881 times
Quote:
and the folks that work in foreign aid will say hey, why don't we take the budget cuts out of NASA and so and so forth.
They can still have their jobs, they just can't give away money.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:07 PM
(-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Then you just missed the point of my post. There are employees being laid off in the government as well, just not at the same rate. But that's the sacrifice you take to go to public sector versus private sector. To suggest that, we are going suffer because we didn't 'save our money' is just straight up ignorant. We are not paid well, that's my point. What they get in extra pay in private sector to have unstable jobs, is what we miss in pay just to have a more stable job. My peers, in the event they get laid off or furloughed, make more than enough to survive, but most government employees, especially new ones like myself don't have the option to 'save my money'. It's as if people think we are privileged, if the economy was doing well then just like ahales, people wouldn't think these jobs would be worth anything, but now that everyone else is suffering, they want us to suffer too. We do suffer, most of suffer, every pay period, but that sacrifice of getting paid less is why I still have a job and a lot of my peers do not.
dude...can i borrow that broad brush you just painted all government employees with? seriously

1. you assume that i don't or have never worked for the feds. you assumed wrong.
2. who said anything about federal employees suffering?
3. the problem with 0 sum negotiating is thinking that, if you don't do something or if you don't negotiate that the job or deal won't get done. guess you guys are too young to remember the last time a select group of federal employees tried to do that under reagan. do you honestly think that in this economy if you guys decided not to do your jobs that some other group wouldn't swoop in to do it?
4. it's been proven time and time again that federal employees, on average make significantly more than their private sector counterparts. miss me with that whoa is me underpaid stuff. that's just not even remotely truthful.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:08 PM
(-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
They can still have their jobs, they just can't give away money.
lmao if they can't give away money, what are they aiding with? i.o.u.'s?

Old 02-28-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
lmao if they can't give away money, what are they aiding with? i.o.u.'s?
nothing. That is the point. We got our own issues at home.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
dude...can i borrow that broad brush you just painted all government employees with? seriously

1. you assume that i don't or have never worked for the feds. you assumed wrong.
3. the problem with 0 sum negotiating is thinking that, if you don't do something or if you don't negotiate that the job or deal won't get done. guess you guys are too young to remember the last time a select group of federal employees tried to do that under reagan. do you honestly think that in this economy if you guys decided not to do your jobs that some other group wouldn't swoop in to do it?
4. it's been proven time and time again that federal employees, on average make significantly more than their private sector counterparts. miss me with that whoa is me underpaid stuff. that's just not even remotely truthful.
This is a load of crap. If you want to compare PHD Scientist and the attendant at the local 7-11 then yeah. If you compare occupation vs occupation then you will see that the public sector employees make a lot less.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:42 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,940,716 times
Quote:

1. Never made a comment about whether you worked for the government or not. I was just clearing up the point that you responded to.
2. GaBison mentioned federal employees "sucks for you and all the other people around the world who had to suffer through a layoff after being so loyal" and kodaka stated "But god forbid federal workers have to suffer the agony of the same plight as the rest of world!". My point was to mention that many of us sacrifice long term to have stable jobs. Well everyone gets set out of high-paying jobs, we get to keep our stable mediocre paying jobs. Is that not clear to you?
3. When you become a federal employee, striking is not an option. You take a oath not to strike therefore no one is sitting here talking about striking. Really don't even know why you even brought it up.
4. It's not always true. Very few fields pay more in the federal government than the private sector. If you do a position by position comparison, it's not close. The only reason it appears that we make much more is because we tend to stay in our jobs longer than people in private sector. Just think about it, how likely is a company like Northrop Grumman to keep a Software Engineering that has 10 years of experience versus one that has 5 years of experience? Companies always look to cut cost. In the government we just stay in the position making the max of our steps in our grade until we can move to another position. We don't just get fired just to get fired. Think about it, if we were really getting paid that much, had this stable of a job, then what would be the point of even working private? Doesn't make sense. Most of us sacrifice pay for stability and benefits.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:53 AM
(-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
1. Never made a comment about whether you worked for the government or not. I was just clearing up the point that you responded to.

that's not how i read it but we can agree to disagree.

2. GaBison mentioned federal employees "sucks for you and all the other people around the world who had to suffer through a layoff after being so loyal" and kodaka stated "But god forbid federal workers have to suffer the agony of the same plight as the rest of world!". My point was to mention that many of us sacrifice long term to have stable jobs. Well everyone gets set out of high-paying jobs, we get to keep our stable mediocre paying jobs. Is that not clear to you?

you made that comment directed to me, not gabison.

3. When you become a federal employee, striking is not an option. You take a oath not to strike therefore no one is sitting here talking about striking. Really don't even know why you even brought it up.

weren't you one of the ones saying maybe we need to see how important fed worker jobs are by not showing up? not showing up = ???

4. It's not always true. Very few fields pay more in the federal government than the private sector. If you do a position by position comparison, it's not close. The only reason it appears that we make much more is because we tend to stay in our jobs longer than people in private sector. Just think about it, how likely is a company like Northrop Grumman to keep a Software Engineering that has 10 years of experience versus one that has 5 years of experience? Companies always look to cut cost. In the government we just stay in the position making the max of our steps in our grade until we can move to another position. We don't just get fired just to get fired. Think about it, if we were really getting paid that much, had this stable of a job, then what would be the point of even working private? Doesn't make sense. Most of us sacrifice pay for stability and benefits.

lying really doesn't help your cause. in fact it infuriates people even more. you keep using words like SACRIFICE. what does the average federal employee sacrifice? please your rhetoric would probably work on someone who has never worked a day in the federal government, but i have my friend. i know how it is. they make so much of a sacrifice that the usa today did an article on it in which it details how federal pay is ahead of private industry pay in 8 out of 10 categories. don't believe me? here ya go:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-03-04-federal-pay_N.htm

just a little highlight for you:

"These salary figures do not include the value of health, pension and other benefits, which averaged $40,785 per federal employee in 2008 vs. $9,882 per private worker, according to the Bureau of Economic Analysis."

If any government employee has sacrificed to serve, it's those at the state and local levels (the same folks fighting to keep what little they have). Don't believe me? Here's another highlight for ya:

"•State and local. State government employees had an average salary of $47,231 in 2008, about 5% less than comparable jobs in the private sector. City and county workers earned an average of $43,589, about 2% more than private workers in similar jobs. State and local workers have higher total compensation than private workers when the value of benefits is included."

That's some sacrifice I tell ya...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC