U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-26-2011, 06:21 PM

468 posts, read 735,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Snitch View Post
You must not know bout dat snitch mob cuz
I know plenty.

I just would not feel comfortable calling myself that because there are lots of people out there who might get the wrong idea.

You know what I mean right?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 06:23 PM

39 posts, read 7,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLET View Post
A ghetto visit?

What are you some sort of poverty tourist?
What do those these "urban explorers" find so interesting about the hood?
I mean I know the grass is greener on the other side sometimes but damn.

It was some poster on here awhile back that went for drive around Anacostia and said it wasn't that bad lol probably didn't even go off MLK ave drove that little strip from Suitland Pkwy to Good Hope and went back to the other side of the river.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:29 PM

5,475 posts, read 4,749,699 times
Well, Im not interested in "tourist attractions". I find places of decay, blight and abandonment much more interesting.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:54 PM

12,686 posts, read 18,928,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Well, Im not interested in "tourist attractions". I find places of decay, blight and abandonment much more interesting.
Detroit is great for that. Just miles and miles of blight. MI is my home state, and I love driving around that city.

Even smaller MI cities like Flint and Saginaw. Saw so many beautiful victorian homes in those latter cities, just completely in disrepair.

I've driven around DC, and there are certainly buildings and such....so, I'm sure you can see some if you drive around. Well, unless it's gentrified that out too, as it's been awhile since I've been to DC. I've always been impressed how much beauty there is in DC, even in bad neighborhoods - some of those colorful rowhome areas.

Baltimore and Philadelphia are not too far away, and have some good blight.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:21 PM

58 posts, read 95,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Detroit is great for that. Just miles and miles of blight. MI is my home state, and I love driving around that city.

Even smaller MI cities like Flint and Saginaw. Saw so many beautiful victorian homes in those latter cities, just completely in disrepair.

I've driven around DC, and there are certainly buildings and such....so, I'm sure you can see some if you drive around. Well, unless it's gentrified that out too, as it's been awhile since I've been to DC. I've always been impressed how much beauty there is in DC, even in bad neighborhoods - some of those colorful rowhome areas.

Baltimore and Philadelphia are not too far away, and have some good blight.
If you're looking for blight, just drive around mostly any northeastern industrial city. I know CT best, so here are a few:

New Britain, Hartford, Waterbury

Old 02-26-2011, 07:37 PM

Yeah, these smaller cities has plenty of decay to explore too.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:33 AM

3,548 posts, read 4,904,226 times
For complete bombed-out decrepitude, you can't beat Detroit, East St. Louis, and Camden. DC's got its share of blight and poverty-stricken areas, but it's nowhere near the worst that this country has to offer.

Some parts of Cleveland and Youngstown would also qualify. And, of course, there's the east and west sides of Baltimore.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
For complete bombed-out decrepitude, you can't beat Detroit, East St. Louis, and Camden. DC's got its share of blight and poverty-stricken areas, but it's nowhere near the worst that this country has to offer.

Some parts of Cleveland and Youngstown would also qualify. And, of course, there's the east and west sides of Baltimore.
Agreed. Completely.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:40 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,878,781 times
Default boreatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Yeah, I can see that, these areas looks like the nicest suburbia. Your city aint worth a ghetto visit. Thanks anyway.
Im assuming you from whitlock off north ave ...Anyway..ppl act like bc buildings arent crumbling and falling over then everything is cool..Thats not DC in 2011...In Bmore I dont understand how whole blocks are vacant in the most notorius drug area yet there would be no bars on the window...DC dsnt have blocks of dilapitated buildings but majority of the windows have bars...How bout you making your own ghetto visit...come down 295 south to DC and get off any exit heading east

Old 02-28-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Im assuming you from whitlock off north ave ...Anyway..ppl act like bc buildings arent crumbling and falling over then everything is cool..Thats not DC in 2011...In Bmore I dont understand how whole blocks are vacant in the most notorius drug area yet there would be no bars on the window...DC dsnt have blocks of dilapitated buildings but majority of the windows have bars...How bout you making your own ghetto visit...come down 295 south to DC and get off any exit heading east
Im not from D.C

And Im sure you have youre distressed areas as well, but visually they dont look so bad compared to Bmore, Camden and North Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC