U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-03-2011, 07:15 PM

8 posts, read 47,979 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm currently living in Silver Spring but I'm looking to buy a house in DC proper, specifically NE or close to NE (I drive NE of the city for work and my fiance works downtown so this seems like a natural compromise). I've learned that a lot of areas in NE are block by block so I'm hoping some more knowledgeable residents can give me some help looking. Here are the things I'm looking for in order of priority:

-Safety (especially walking to public transportation)
-Price around 400k for a fee simple (non-condo), 2 or 3 bedroom
-Reasonable walking distance to metro (or really good bus lines).
-Up and coming area and likely to increase in value over the next 5-10 years.
-some local shops and things (I don't need to be in the heart of everything but being a quick walk to a convenience store or a bar would be nice).

My current thoughts are some of the areas in Shaw or Truxton Circle (as zillow identifies it) or the H st area. I've heard Brookland is nice but it doesn't seem like there is really anything there as far as local shops and things. It seems like the commute on New York ave over to 295 is pretty decent so I'm probably shooting for something near there (or similar).

We were recently looking at some of the places in SE (specifically south of the Potomac ave metro) but were turned off by the housing projects and crime issues down there.

Basically what it comes down to is we are willing to spend a bit more money and live in a smaller house to be in a safer area with a better future outlook.

We would also be totally fine with a fixer upper if that would put I us in a better situation (but I guess this is luck in finding a place really).

Please let me know your thoughts on good neighborhoods to look, and specifically what parts of those neighborhoods are better to focus on.

I appreciate any feedback.

Last edited by gentlemansbeard; 03-03-2011 at 07:25 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 07:43 PM

349 posts, read 425,985 times
May be further north that you are looking at, but I looked in Woodridge-- the neighborhood straddling upper Rhode Island Ave.-- about 5 years ago. There were good deals to be had on bungalow type detached housing and some duplexes and triplexes off of South Dakota Ave. The amenities are lacking though. Brookland really seems like what you ( and a lot of other people) are looking for... "affordable", safe, some walkability and close to public transportation. It does have a bit of a main drag with a small business strip with a few local shops:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...12,291.72,,0,5

Old 03-03-2011, 07:55 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,660,503 times
Little unrelated but those housing projects that you're referring to near the Potomac Ave Metro(called Potomac Gardens) are actually on fire right now. A two-alarm fire started about 30 minutes ago. Big enough that there's already been multiple people sent to the hospital including a firefighter and a mass casualty bus sent to the scene.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RozCat View Post
May be further north that you are looking at, but I looked in Woodridge-- the neighborhood straddling upper Rhode Island Ave.-- about 5 years ago. There were good deals to be had on bungalow type detached housing and some duplexes and triplexes off of South Dakota Ave. The amenities are lacking though. Brookland really seems like what you ( and a lot of other people) are looking for... "affordable", safe, some walkability and close to public transportation. It does have a bit of a main drag with a small business strip with a few local shops:

12th Street Northeast, Washington D.C., DC - Google Maps
That seems ok but it seems like I would be better off in the suburbs if that is the extent of the local shops in Brookland. Are there plans to expand in the future?

What are thoughts on the 'Near Northeast' area and the area east of union station?

Old 03-03-2011, 08:50 PM

621 posts, read 718,809 times
I think you could find some good deals close to that H Street starburst with bladensburg and maryland ave. With the streetcar coming there, transportation shouldn't be an issue. You have the X2 bus that runs very frequently over there too

Old 03-06-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bossman View Post
I think you could find some good deals close to that H Street starburst with bladensburg and maryland ave. With the streetcar coming there, transportation shouldn't be an issue. You have the X2 bus that runs very frequently over there too
I looked at some places near the star burst. It still seems a bit rough that far east on H. Some cheap houses there though (actually cheaper than I was looking for).

Can anyone compare living in an area like brookland to living in takoma park (md side)?

Old 03-07-2011, 05:25 PM

3,548 posts, read 5,048,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlemansbeard View Post
I looked at some places near the star burst. It still seems a bit rough that far east on H. Some cheap houses there though (actually cheaper than I was looking for).

Can anyone compare living in an area like brookland to living in takoma park (md side)?
Between Brookland and Takoma, I'd go with Brookland myself. The housing stock is commensurate, and neither is a hotbed of commercial activity, but Brookland's proximity to central DC and other desirable neighborhoods there would tip the scales in its favor, as far as I'm concerned. Both are largely safe, quiet areas, and both have access to the Red Line.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,992 times
400K is a tough point for a non-condo. There's a lot below it in more transitional neighborhoods, a lots above it in established ones, but not a lot right around 400K.

I would recommend Trinidad, Brookland, or the areas around Stadium/Armory or Potomac Avenue metro stops. I would also recommend the areas south of Benning Road (Rosedale and Kingman Park), but it seems you have already tried out the Starburst and you didn't see much you liked.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:02 PM

12 posts, read 22,276 times
There's several places near me (Eckington) that are for sale near your price point - or to a lesser extent, you could get lucky and catch an unflipped for sale in Bloomingdale. Most of the Eckington flips are by one company who does a decent job, but nothing too fancy, so they probably still need some fixing up.

I'd shy away from old Truxton Circle personally - at least anything that is within 3 blocks of New York or 2 blocks of North Cap. I had looked a place over there that I really liked, but it can be really edgy, even for me.

*edit - Brookland is nice. Very active community too (listserv traffic and meetings). There's a lot of people over there w/ good heads on their shoulders.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:28 AM

835 posts, read 1,107,362 times
There are future plans for Brookland, including Chancellor's Row and Artspace under construction now and future plans by CUA's South Campus by Abdo. The owner of Colonel Brooks Tavern also wants to rebuild his building as mixed-use, with more retail. All those put together will knit the 12th Street "main street" together with a new hub of activity around the currently isolated Metro station.

If you're looking in Truxton Circle, keep in mind that sketchiness really varies block-to-block around there. The Northwest One initiative will redevelop the fortress of public housing south of NY Ave, and Dunbar High School will get rebuilt soon, but there are several liquor stores and social service agencies along the west side of North Capitol.

For another Bloomingdale-adjacent neighborhood that's cheaper, look at Eckington. It's a bit closer to the Red Line, the developments in NoMa are crossing over into the neighborhood (one of the giant fields will be an apartment complex by 2012), and you can find some cheaper rowhouses there if you're willing to compromise on finishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: