U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 11:06 PM
cno cno started this thread

11 posts, read 15,247 times

Advertisements

Probably being asked the millionth time around here but I am at a point where I am ready to get out of my comfort zone to meet people.

I am 30, single, male, Indian (if that makes a difference) and moved here from chi-town last year. Since my personal network is pretty much non-existent here, its been a struggle to make friends. I have tried every avenue but either it has run into a brickwall or not going anywhere. Most people at my work are older, married or have their tight-knit group already.

Not really into the bars/clubbing scene so checking off that option. I started couple of outdoor activities earlier this year so I might be able to join a few groups for those. I came across several threads where people are having same issue in being able to reach out. Makes me wonder, is it just me or DC/MD populace is somewhat shut-off?? Although I am somewhat of a introvert (read: quiet/not-very-chatty) but that doesn't mean I can't hold an interesting conversation. Some people mentioned meetup.com here.... is that any good or hit/miss?

I am really just looking for platonic relationships (guys and/or gals). Friends whom I can have a good time with and not hookup zones.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 12:55 AM

468 posts, read 1,134,088 times
Bhangra Blowout 18 Events

I am sure you will be able to meet people at this event and at several of the festivities leading up to it.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:24 AM
cno cno started this thread

11 posts, read 15,247 times
I wasn't really specifying to meet people of a specific ethnicity.... my rant was general in being able to meet people around this area. But thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:31 PM

4,037 posts, read 7,734,619 times
Just put yourself out there. Try a variety of things.

Lately I've tried the following: joined a little club/organization, did a few meetup groups, joined a sports league. They've had mixed results. Everyone on the bowling league was old enough to my parents. Same with one meetup but i was still putting myself out there. You won't meet anyone alone at the house that's for sure. I'd recommend a meetup group. Bars have worked for me but then again I was hooking up left and right when I first moved here back in 08 sometimes. Other nights no one gave me the time of day. Either way good luck.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:23 AM

19,797 posts, read 27,284,474 times
DC is infamous as a place where it's difficult to meet people probably due in nature to it's transient population. You might try some volunteering which I've heard attracts a different demographic you might fit in with better. Some to check out are Food and Friends, DC Central Kitchen and Habitat for Humanity.
Good luck!

Volunteer - Food & Friends
Habitat for Humanity of Washington, D.C. - Better Built Together - Individual Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteer - DC Central Kitchen

Old 03-16-2011, 07:39 AM

715 posts, read 1,278,169 times
also if I were you I'd get a bike this spring. Be out and about.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:46 AM

6,116 posts, read 5,897,409 times
Join some charity organizations, health clubs, religious groups (if that's your thing), biking or running clubs. You'll come in contact with like minded individuals and start to build a network.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:13 PM

4,805 posts, read 19,202,578 times
I moved to Chicago ten years ago, and to DC two years ago. I made friends more quickly in Chicago, but I was also a lot younger. I was still in touch with many of my college friends, some of whom lived in Chicago, so when I arrived I already had a few friends made. And they were very social and introduced me to more friends. And we were all very young, no one had serious relationships and no kids, so it was easy to socialize.

DC has been harder for me to make friends, but I don't think it's necessarily because of any unique characteristic about the city. I'm older, and not into the social scene as much. Those friends that I have made, are also less interested in the party scene. So they have a smaller circle of friends as well. So I've just met less people. And yes, a lot of people I meet have permanent relationships and kids and commitments that make it harder to become friends. But again, I think the issue is more my age and my interests, than it is the fact that DC has a transient population. No one I've ever met has indicated that they are unintersted in friendships simply because I or anyone else might move away some day.

The thing I find about charities and activity-based organizations is that you tend to meet people from all walks of life, from all over the city. That diversity is nice, but it's hard to solidify that meeting into a meaningful friendship if you don't have all that much in common in the first place and they live on the other side of town. Neighborhood activities, on the other hand, allow you to meet people who live close by, which makes it easier to get together again if you meet people you like. So you might see if there's a neighborhood clean-up day, or a street festival, or something like that, that could help you meet people in your neighborhood.

If you are a college graduate, you might see if your alma mater has a group in the area. Although I understand you may be distanced enough from college that you don't feel you have anything in common with your fellow alumna.

I've found meetup to be hit and miss. Some groups are great, others not.

The only thing I can suggest is don't try just one strategy. Join a volunteer organization, check out a neighborhood event, join a meetup group, join a professional organization--try it all. And don't expect it to happen overnight. It'll happen slowly.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:19 PM

165 posts, read 426,974 times
Ask your Congressman's office to put you in contact with the Illinois State Society (social club) of Greater Washington.

Some more ideas, click here:
Ski Club of Washington, DC (SCWDC)
First Class, Inc. - Your Center for Lifelong Learning
Homepage of the Center Hiking Club
Capital Hiking Club - Home
http://wanderbirds.org
http://www.washingtonwomenoutdoors.com
http://Smithsonianassociates.org

Old 03-16-2011, 07:19 PM

837 posts, read 1,544,554 times
I'm from chicago too, early 30s male, married moved here 6 months ago, having the same challenges meeting folks outside of my job. PM me if you'd like to grab a drink after work sometime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or