U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-28-2011, 05:48 PM

17,406 posts, read 7,949,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnative27 View Post
I don't want to start up a Public vs. Charter School debate on here. I'm strongly against Charter schools and programs like that because the money could be channeled into the dilapidated DC school system. Opening additional public schools to reduce class size, and the money could be used to recruit and train better teachers. Which is better and less fiscally harmful than funding charter schools. I went to a charter, and when they needed money they indoctrinated my classmates and used us as a flag to get more funding. The administrators who start these schools are not certified and usually make upwards of 250k a year or more, and the education quality sucks.
DC spends more per pupil than just about any jurisdiction in the country and you want to throw even more money at the problem?

The height of stupidity is repeating the same mistakes over and over, if charter schools, vouchers are shown to help these mostly poor black kids achieve some level of self sufficiency and education I say go for it. These kids have been failed by too many liberal schemes.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:52 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,387,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
DC spends more per pupil than just about any jurisdiction in the country and you want to throw even more money at the problem?

The height of stupidity is repeating the same mistakes over and over, if charter schools, vouchers are shown to help these mostly poor black kids achieve some level of self sufficiency and education I say go for it. These kids have been failed by too many liberal schemes.
They have been failed by their PARENTS!!! It's not the governments job to raise these kids. If anyone wants to be mad, blame their families.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:19 PM

183 posts, read 145,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
They have been failed by their PARENTS!!! It's not the governments job to raise these kids. If anyone wants to be mad, blame their families.
Of course, the answer politicians have most times is to throw more money at this problem. Money will not correct the failure of these kids' families to educate them.

People should not expect the government to hold the primary responsibility for raising and educating someone's child. It is the responsibility of the parents. When I was growing up, my parents took me to our local neighborhood library (Petworth) to do research and learn new things, go to museums, and attend other educational events in the city.

If the parents are not educated enough themselves, then they should at least carry the ability to understand the value of a good education for their kids and seek out an alternative. Unfortunately, another strike against black kids in the inner city is that there is a strong tide against being educated and "talking white" and "acting white". I had to even resist this when I was growing up. I got "A"s and did very well on my exams and assessment tests, and sometimes I got ridiculed and made fun of for this by my fellow classmates. The unfortunate reality is that some parents in the inner city really don't value education for themselves or their kids. This is a very, very hard thing to overcome in a society.

While I did learn in school according to the set curriculum, the things that my family did with me and that I did outside the classroom were far more influential in my life.

It is not the primary responsibility of a school to raise a kid and educate them. It is their parent's responsibility first and foremost. The quicker our society acknowledges this and make action based on this acknowledgment, the better we can be able tackle the real problem of education.

Getting back to the original article, we have already had DC be a majority black and a majority white city. I hope the city now will be more balanced and a reflection of the many different types of people that make our country a special place in the world.

Last edited by revitalizer; 03-28-2011 at 07:42 PM..

Old 03-28-2011, 10:37 PM

465 posts, read 474,077 times
^ +rep

I for one, feel DC could use more bangin' Americanized Indian/Pakistan and Iranian girls.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:08 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 2,165,028 times
Some of you really need to look at the policies that congress implemented to govern DC before Marion Barry arrived. They were really, really aimed at disenfranchising the community.

Jokestars, yes your family came poor but that is only one part of the equation. Have you or your family ever been pulled over by the cops simply for being Asian in a white neighborhood or dressing a certain way? Have you ever had people make generalizations about you simply based on looks or pre-determined stereotypes. The demonizing of black males in the media has real effects. As a college educated brother and former football player, who works out a lot. I can tell you a few things. When I was living in Louisiana, I was assaulted by the police and arrested over some BS. I routinely got pulled over for no-apparent reason in my nice suburban neighborhood to the point that I moved, I also have been in interviews and it was apparent that the petite white women were basically intimidated by my presence. Now being an educated brother, I was able to navigate some of this mess and I was able to get that b.s. arrest sealed and no charges were ever filed. However, if I was uneducated, no telling what could have happened. If I didn't have the money for nice clothes, would the police captain have taken my words as serious? Or would he just assumed that I was another thug on the street based on his personal perception..

The problem in the black community is two fold. 1. There is a system in place that has basically had horrible effects on the black community and family structure. 2. There is a massive culture problem in the black community and it embraces undisciplined behavior and ignorance.

However, to simply bring one side of the argument without acknowledging the other is downright dishonest and kills the credibility of the one making the argument to the other side. However, people are intellectually lazy. We like quick and easy solutions and explanations when the explanations are not always so quick and easy.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:20 PM

One more thing, if Government helped create a problem, then yes, Government has a responsibility to try and fix it. I am not saying that govt programs alone are the answer (especially since many are ill thought out) but govt definitely has a responsibility and a role to play.

Last edited by The Heartbreak Kid; 03-28-2011 at 11:33 PM..

Old 03-28-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Have you or your family ever been pulled over by the cops simply for being Asian in a white neighborhood or dressing a certain way?

have you ever had people make generalizations about you simply based on looks or pre-determined stereotypes.
I guess this is kind of a "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" situation. Media stereotypes don't help, but those stereotypes don't come out of thin air. The human brain is evolutionarily wired to notice patterns. We don't need movies and TV (nowadays groups of bad guys are hilariously diverse) influencing us because what we read in papers or see everyday does as well. Case in point: When I lived in SE DC as a kid, a guy got his head blown off in front of our house. That sticks with you.

Is it fair to apply stereotypes to individuals? No, absolutely not. But we're wired to do that and if the poor black crime rate was on par with the poor white or asian crime rate, I don't think there would be so much massive stereotyping going on. This is not a defense of the way you were treated (which seems almost illegal if it's true), but rather an explanation.

Quote:
One more thing, if Government helped create a problem, then yes, Government has a responsibility to try and fix it.
And this is where we part ways, because government fixing stuff usually involves a lot of wasted tax dollars and not much accomplished (which is how most progressive social engineering ends up). Reparations and affirmative action run contrary to the American ideal of individualism. Why should the child of a rich black guy get preference over a poor Russian immigrant when it comes to jobs or college?

Old 03-28-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
I guess this is kind of a "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" situation. Media stereotypes don't help, but those stereotypes don't come out of thin air. The human brain is evolutionarily wired to notice patterns. We don't need movies and TV (nowadays groups of bad guys are hilariously diverse) influencing us because what we read in papers or see everyday does as well. Case in point: When I lived in SE DC as a kid, a guy got his head blown off in front of our house. That sticks with you.

Is it fair to apply stereotypes to individuals? No, absolutely not. But we're wired to do that and if the poor black crime rate was on par with the poor white or asian crime rate, I don't think there would be so much massive stereotyping going on. This is not a defense of the way you were treated (which seems almost illegal if it's true), but rather an explanation.

And this is where we part ways, because government fixing stuff usually involves a lot of wasted tax dollars and not much accomplished (which is how most progressive social engineering ends up). Reparations and affirmative action run contrary to the American ideal of individualism. Why should the child of a rich black guy get preference over a poor Russian immigrant when it comes to jobs or college?
I can reverse the question and ask why were the children of whites and europeans given preference over blacks in schools and jobs? I am not for rugged quotas. I am actually much more for targeted relief aimed at making people more competitive in the market more so than subsidizing their shortcomings.

As far as education, I do think that you can account for other things that are indicators of success in college admittance other than test scores. I am not for letting people in institutions, for which they are not prepared. You are not doing them a favor.

I do not think Government policies alone are the answer. I do think govt has a role to play. You are also right that stereotypes don't come from thin air but they do have consequences.

Personally, I can't stand when I see my brothers out here robbing and killing. I hate it to no end. I can't watch cop shows nor judge shows because I hate seeing black people being shown on tv in an ignorant manner. I have went on and on about black teen pregnancies, blacks on tv acting ignorant, folks promoting dropping out of school, etc... It just seems like a losing battle at this point. I give my people hell but I also understand the system that exist.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:49 PM

13,013 posts, read 19,886,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post
we have already had DC be a majority black and a majority white city. I hope the city now will be more balanced and a reflection of the many different types of people that make our country a special place in the world.
I like your conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
^ +rep

I for one, feel DC could use more bangin' Americanized Indian/Pakistan and Iranian girls.
You got good tastes!

Well, I'm married now with a kid, but for my kid's sake when he gets older and if we end up in the DC area!

Old 03-29-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
I can reverse the question and ask why were the children of whites and europeans given preference over blacks in schools and jobs? I
They're given preference not because of their races, but because of their extra-curricular activities and GPA. They just happen to be white and/or asian. It's accomplished based on individual merit.

That's not the same as affirmative action, which would (and does) give automatic bonuses simply based on ethnicity, which is silly. Don't you find it insulting that many universities give blacks an extra +100 points on their SAT just for bubbling "African American"? I know I would. Me, I just get by by losing points for checking Asian. Google that stuff if you don't believe me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: