U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-29-2011, 12:38 AM
 
465 posts, read 786,645 times
Reputation: 284

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
1. There is a system in place that has basically had horrible effects on the black community and family structure.
You know, the black illegitimacy rate did not sky rocket until after the late 1960's and early 1970's. How is that the government's fault besides creating dependency entitlements?

 
Old 03-29-2011, 01:23 AM
Yac
 
5,863 posts, read 6,244,891 times
As the discussion continues I'd like to ask everybody to remain respectful and on topic. I know it's easy to lose one's temper when dealing with controversial topics like race, for the sake of this discussion it would be best if that didn't happen.
Yac.
__________________
Forum Rules
City-Data.com homepage
 
Old 03-29-2011, 06:08 AM
 
1,604 posts, read 3,400,568 times
Reputation: 1515
Jokestars. Not to call you a blatant racist but as a educated middle class black dude who has lived around the area you're currently in and who's about to move back to Virginia, its amazing that all you witnessed are "poor ignorant blacks." So you're telling me that nowhere, at least in Virginia, you saw blacks who were as educated, wealthy, competent, and successful as their white and even Asian counterparts?

If that's the case, for your sake and for my own, please move to the district. You'd be surprised at the amount of "liberal and tolerant" whites as well as other non-black minorities who share such broadbrushed opinions.
 
Old 03-29-2011, 06:29 AM
 
Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,193,901 times
Reputation: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
They're given preference not because of their races, but because of their extra-curricular activities and GPA. They just happen to be white and/or asian. It's accomplished based on individual merit.

That's not the same as affirmative action, which would (and does) give automatic bonuses simply based on ethnicity, which is silly. Don't you find it insulting that many universities give blacks an extra +100 points on their SAT just for bubbling "African American"? I know I would. Me, I just get by by losing points for checking Asian. Google that stuff if you don't believe me.
Jokestars,
Now you are stretching the truth. Very few schools give a significant amount of points for race. A lot of those systems were thrown out with the supreme court cases over the past few decades and to your post..


For most of American History, the kids of whites were given preference over minorities simply because of race is school, housing, jobs, etc... It has only been about 60 years that you seen some instances of it the other way around. However, 340>60 by a long shot.
 
Old 03-29-2011, 07:02 AM
(-)
 
690 posts, read 1,578,973 times
Reputation: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
If a belief is rooted in fact, statistics etc how is that racist? Should people deny the obvious to conform to some notion of political correctness?
if your belief is that the vast majority of american blacks are violent or poor, then yes, that sir is racist. if your belief is that the vast majority of american blacks are uneducated or uncultured, then yes, that sir is racist. if your belief is that the vast majority of american blacks don't value property and community, then yes, that sir is racist. that's not conforming to "some notion" of political correctness, that's bending to some notion of racial superiority.
 
Old 03-29-2011, 07:17 AM
(-)
 
690 posts, read 1,578,973 times
Reputation: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
I guess this is kind of a "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" situation. Media stereotypes don't help, but those stereotypes don't come out of thin air. The human brain is evolutionarily wired to notice patterns. We don't need movies and TV (nowadays groups of bad guys are hilariously diverse) influencing us because what we read in papers or see everyday does as well. Case in point: When I lived in SE DC as a kid, a guy got his head blown off in front of our house. That sticks with you.

Is it fair to apply stereotypes to individuals? No, absolutely not. But we're wired to do that and if the poor black crime rate was on par with the poor white or asian crime rate, I don't think there would be so much massive stereotyping going on. This is not a defense of the way you were treated (which seems almost illegal if it's true), but rather an explanation.



And this is where we part ways, because government fixing stuff usually involves a lot of wasted tax dollars and not much accomplished (which is how most progressive social engineering ends up). Reparations and affirmative action run contrary to the American ideal of individualism. Why should the child of a rich black guy get preference over a poor Russian immigrant when it comes to jobs or college?
why is that statement only made when it comes to african americans and reparations? that's what i don't understand. you do know that jewish and japanese americans received reparations?

http://muse.jhu.edu/login?uri=/journ...3laremont.html

Japanese-American internment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Native Americans have "treaties"

Native Americans have "TREATIES". The treaties define the “PAYMENT” for acquiring lands by the United States. “MONETARY SETTLEMENTS” were made, and that money is “HELD IN TRUST” by the United States government.

The government holds Native American “LANDS IN TRUST” and collects royalties from “RESOURCES” on Native American lands which the United States also “HOLDS IN TRUST”.

somehow, many of you believe that the federal government has given blacks "affirmative action" and "welfare" as a reparation, which is laughable in and of itself. the vast majority of affirmative action candidates aren't african american but are white women. the vast majority of welfare in america does not go to african americans but to white americans, yet, there is still this belief that somehow it's some sort of gift to blacks.

400+ years of slavery in exchange for 30 years of affirmative action and welfare.

and there are some who complain about that.

 
Old 03-29-2011, 07:32 AM
 
717 posts, read 1,293,008 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
You know, the black illegitimacy rate did not sky rocket until after the late 1960's and early 1970's. How is that the government's fault besides creating dependency entitlements?
You should check out the 'Moynihan Report'. There are a number of programs that did a huge psychological number on the black family structure.
 
Old 03-29-2011, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Springfield VA
4,037 posts, read 7,810,451 times
Reputation: 1480
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
I have to agree here. I looked up the FY11 budget of my local middle school here. Their operational budget breaks down to $20,190/student. That does not include legacy costs or major capital expenditures. That's purely current personnel and programmatic costs. That's well short of Sidwell tuition, but it would buy any private school education where I grew up!
Really? That's appalling! Okay someone in your community needs to be looking at what they're doing with all that money.
 
Old 03-29-2011, 07:56 AM
 
465 posts, read 786,645 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Not to call you a blatant racist but as a educated middle class black dude who has lived around the area you're currently in and who's about to move back to Virginia, its amazing that all you witnessed are "poor ignorant blacks." So you're telling me that nowhere, at least in Virginia, you saw blacks who were as educated, wealthy, competent, and successful as their white and even Asian counterparts?
Blacks in NOVA are few and far between when compared to Asians and whites. And yes, the blacks in NOVA generally tend to be more successful and pleasant to interact with.

Quote:
the vast majority of welfare in america does not go to african americans but to white americans, yet, there is still this belief that somehow it's some sort of gift to blacks.
Of course the majority of welfare goes to whites, they make up 70% of the population. If you look at proportion, it's blacks.

Your point about Japanese is invalid because that was a USG action. Unless you can prove that someone in your family as enslaved by the USG to build the US Capitol Building or something, you have no merit. You want tax dollars from Americans of all races, 95% whose family never owned slaved.

Ridiculous.

Quote:
if your belief is that the vast majority of american blacks are violent or poor (then you are racist)
"As of 2009, while the poverty rate among non-Hispanic whites sits at 9.4% [13], the poverty rate among African Americans sits at 25.8%"

And that's just below the poverty line, not including people who are barely eeking out a living. No one said vast majority, but certainly a plurality when compared to other races?

FACTS ARE RACIST.
 
Old 03-29-2011, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,193,901 times
Reputation: 500
Jokestars, one of the reasons that slavery existed for so long is because the Government allowed it. Even brought it up at a constitutional convention when they accepted the 3/5th's compromise. Also, look at the Dred Scott case. The so-called father of independence, Thomas Jefferson, owned slaves (aint that some hypocritical bull). The reason that Jim Crow existed was because the federal government allowed it to (Plessy vs Ferguson). Restricted Covenants were also allowed to exist because of the U.S. Government.

Want to see some more stuff the feds allowed to go on, check the link below

Tuskegee syphilis experiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top