U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 07:16 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,206,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
What facts did that fool bring to the discussion? What are you bringing to this discussion?

I don't know about reparations but I think we should look at adding more teeth to anti-discrimination laws at the state and federal level. Too many employers and universities are getting away with bias against persons of color. Too many advertisers are ridiculing blacks, Latinos and Asians on TV ads. Too many white cops are pulling over drivers with brown skin.

But somebody has to stick up for White Supremacy in America. Thanks for watching my back, my whitey brah. White Privilege is good for you and me!
Ugh, how many times must I go over this? I ain't white 'brah!!!' I'm a Hispanic gay dude from the Great Republic of Texas. And as a double minority myself, I DO NOT agree with affirmative action or the likes. And more teeth to anti-discrimination laws? Like what? What could they possibly add that isn't already included? They should add laws protecting gays, but I know that's not the 'teeth' you are talking about.

And too many advertisers are making fun of minorities? Well, as a Hispanic man myself, I don't see too much of a problem. I think Latinos are under represented in the media, but that is a problem Latinos are taking on to change. Being honest here, I think the black community is largely responsible for many of the stereotypes that exist in the media. Tyler Perry can't make a single movie without living up to every baby-mama-on-the-DL-angry-black-woman-cheating-husband stereotype. Should I even mention BET? If I were an alien observing the habits of African Americans by watching BET all I would get out of it is rap videos and sassy sister comedies.Big Mama's house? Let me guess, it was all made by evil white people trying to embarrass blacks right? I think the AA community needs to look at themselves before placing the blame on everyone else.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:54 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,163,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
So just 2 'brothers'? That's not excatly a lot.What does he want then? Have the govt. pay the King family and Malcolm's family for their deaths? Then all will be solved right?

Read up on Cointelpro and see how many brothers the man, whose name sits on the FBI building had killed and I know you would agree with Jokestars.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:32 AM
Yac

5,811 posts, read 6,134,721 times
I'm not closing this because while I can see the topic is controversial, I also see a chance for some real discussion here. Just remember to stay civil and don't make it personal.
Yac.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:19 AM

15,447 posts, read 33,870,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I went to TC Williams in the 90s and it seems like most of my black classmates who remained in the area moved to PWC, a few to PG. The few remaining Black areas in No. Va are either gentrifying or becoming more Hispanic.
Not that this map helps too much. But has a outward migration and inward migration. Of course, it isn't very specific to the black population, could be anyone coming in and coming out.

It goes by county...so Prince George is certainly on there, as is DC. This is registed by U-Haul I believe in 2008. So, might not give as good a data from DC to PG, but interesting nontheless on other levels.

Map: Where Americans Are Moving - Forbes.com

Old 03-30-2011, 06:49 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,562,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
just to quibble, there WERE actual public elections that were won by Jesse Jackson. some primaries, I think, (or did he always come in second?) in 1984 and 1988. And wasnt he elected shadow Senator in DC?

Wouldnt a black person elected to public office, in an overwhelmingly black district, be considered a black leader?

Having a leader, does not imply all members of a group agree with that leader.
just to quibble, by your logic and definition of "leader" wouldn't that mean folks like Strom Thurmond and Sarah Palin qualify as white "leaders"?

The media (not minority controlled) creates "black leaders".

Old 03-30-2011, 06:52 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,562,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Well, I read all the posts and agree with Jokes. Big surprise huh? Once again, why someone always labeled racist by just pointing out facts? Nothing he said is untrue or vulgar. Yes, he REALIZES that not all black people are the same. He (and I) have stated that many, many times. If you don't like that facts, too bad. The truth ain't pretty. And it's the attitude of many of ya'll on here, who keep ignoring it or pulling out the racist card everytime someone brings out FACTS that doesn't solve anything. How do you want things to be solved? Give everyone who may or may not have been wronged in the past hundreds of years ago money? Gimme a break.

Perhaps you don't like the fact that the vast majority of respondents in this post are black and they do not conform to your stereotypical views blacks in america. maybe it's you and jokestars, who are the ones that keep ignoring the FACTS presented in this post. things will be never get solved by trying to paint a picture of an entire race of people based on a minor segment of its population.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:03 AM

5,051 posts, read 8,192,133 times
There's been a long effort to get full voting rights for DC.

Urban populations are dynamic by nature, but it does strike me that, if DC ever does achieve full voting rights, and the city by that time is minority Black, it will reinforce the widespread perception that Congress would never allow a majority-Black jurisdiction to have full political representation. I can't help but think that would be an unfortunate message to drive home in the 21st century.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:16 AM

15,447 posts, read 33,870,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
There's been a long effort to get full voting rights for DC.

Urban populations are dynamic by nature, but it does strike me that, if DC ever does achieve full voting rights, and the city by that time is minority Black, it will reinforce the widespread perception that Congress would never allow a majority-Black jurisdiction to have full political representation. I can't help but think that would be an unfortunate message to drive home in the 21st century.
Probably would need to prove that it could go either dem or republican as well. Being such an overwhelmingly strong Democrat enclave probably makes Republicans entrench themselves moreso against it, unfortunately.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:22 AM

4,037 posts, read 7,724,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Probably would need to prove that it could go either dem or republican as well. Being such an overwhelmingly strong Democrat enclave probably makes Republicans entrench themselves moreso against it, unfortunately.
Yeah from my understanding its been the fact that DC is so overwhelmingly Democrat even amongst white voters that has been a hindrance. I'd be surprised if DC has ever had a Republican mayor or even any Republican council members. I will say that I hope DC gets voting rights but I don't forsee it happening in the near future.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:06 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,882,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
Perhaps you don't like the fact that the vast majority of respondents in this post are black and they do not conform to your stereotypical views blacks in america. maybe it's you and jokestars, who are the ones that keep ignoring the FACTS presented in this post. things will be never get solved by trying to paint a picture of an entire race of people based on a minor segment of its population.
I'm noticing a fairly significant gap between what you think people are saying, and what they are actually saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or