U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 12:54 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,343,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
This is a false sentence. The majority of Latinos in the US support the Democratic Party (Cuban-Americans being the only exception). Thanks to the xenophobic laws promulgated by Republicans in state legislatures, most Latinos are turned off by the GOP. In your home state of Texas, Hispanic majority counties in the western and southern regions swing to the Democrats every election cycle.

The Arizona SB-1070 bill has probably done more to help Democratic Party inroads into the Latino community than anything else in recent history. Seriously, dude...you could get pulled over in Arizona because you fit the profile.

Second, the majority of Asian/Asian-Americans support the Democratic Party. Don't believe me? Look up the popular polling sites. I think the Vietnamese are the only Asian ethnic group that leans Republican.

Third, white voters are NOT split between Democrats and Republicans. I read somewhere that 54 percent of the total white population in the US voted for John McCain and only 41 percent for Obama. I would not call that "evenly split". In fact, the Republican Party is becoming more whiter than ever. The Tea Party is overwhelmingly comprised of white people.

I just had to call you out on your statement.

Ok, so are we only counting Hispanics in Texas now? The Hispanic community nationwide is by most accounts Democratic. I know that. In the 2008 election it has split 59% to 29% in favor of Obama. Though the majority of Hispanics were Clinton supporters first. Was the black community similar in numbers in voting for Obama? I don't think so....

And the Cubans have always been strong Republican supporters.That's nothing new. Is there a community of African Americans anywhere in the US that have a strong Republican base? I'll be waiting....( and please, lets keep the facts to this decade)

And in relations to whites, gimme a break, 54 to 41 is pretty evenly split to me. It's not a landslide by any means. Once again, is the black community this evenly split in numbers? NO.

And I really don't know about Asians. I will try to get back to you on that.

Just had to call you out on that......

Old 03-30-2011, 01:02 PM

81 posts, read 100,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post

You seriously think poor whites and asians have the same crime rates as poor blacks? It's a culture issue, brah, that just happens to involve race. Only the black community can put a stronger emphasis on education and family. No amount of pining after more government programs will fix that.
I agree, culture and poverty are it. Poverty is an effect of the discrimination both at present and historically and culture is an effect of poverty. I beleive this because in order for one to participate in this society one needs a means to exchange goods. In America only people with income have cutlure because whatever we spend on determines our culture. Therefore, one has no culture without income.

Secondly, a poor White or Asian people may feel that they have opportunites while a Black person may not. This is because we're stigmatized by a society that causes people to believe that we are mere bodies without minds. We also share the same view since we're also participants, which causes us to have a negative self-image. Think about it, coming up as a kid and teen you never imagined yourself as an adult working and living with nothing but minorities and a token White person here and there with you, always the oppostie. The funny thing is Black and Latino people also have the very same thoughts about adult life. Hence that's why shows like the Cosby show was created, however even when watching these shows it still doesn't seem like real possiblity for us. In all actuality PG County is the Cosby show realized, however we can't see that and we still haven't took control of the county and fix the problems it has.

What I'm saying in the end is that Black people are ****ed up psychologically because of opression and slavery and need treatment to remedy our problems, which the American people as a whole should be responsible for.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnative27 View Post
I agree, culture and poverty are it. Poverty is an effect of the discrimination both at present and historically and culture is an effect of poverty. I beleive this because in order for one to participate in this society one needs a means to exchange goods. In America only people with income have cutlure because whatever we spend on determines our culture. Therefore, one has no culture without income.

Secondly, a poor White or Asian people may feel that they have opportunites while a Black person may not. This is because we're stigmatized by a society that causes people to believe that we are mere bodies without minds. We also share the same view since we're also participants, which causes us to have a negative self-image. Think about it, coming up as a kid and teen you never imagined yourself as an adult working and living with nothing but minorities and a token White person here and there with you, always the oppostie. The funny thing is Black and Latino people also have the very same thoughts about adult life. Hence that's why shows like the Cosby show was created, however even when watching these shows it still doesn't seem like real possiblity for us. In all actuality PG County is the Cosby show realized, however we can't see that and we still haven't took control of the county and fix the problems it has.

What I'm saying in the end is that Black people are ****ed up psychologically because of opression and slavery and need treatment to remedy our problems, which the American people as a whole should be responsible for.
Are you kidding me?!?!? This is the biggest piece of BS I have ever read on Citydata!!! (Including the thread about the 34 yr old virgin) Typical response of what many in DC (including me) have already concluded.

In one post, someone on here says that blacks AREN'T looking for handouts. Then in another post, you are pretty much saying you ARE looking for handouts.Which is it? So it's ok if you are black and say it? But if you aren't black that makes you racist?

You just said the "American people" are responsible for your mental problems right? I assume you mean all tax payers. So how should we do it? What if you are a white Serbian who immigrated (legally) to the US 10 years ago. Will they be responsible for your "psychological problems"???? Even if they never owned slaves. Much like the 100% of Americans today WHO NEVER OWNED SLAVES OR WERE SLAVES THEMSELVES!!!! Get over yourself!!!!! You are doing far more to continue to cause damage to the African American community that you are helping to bring them up.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:11 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 2,099,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
I have a feeling significant to you means 1-5%.......
There is no reason in the 21st century for you to continue to make such false statements.

Before FDR, the overwhelming majority of blacks supported GOP candidates. FDR's new deal attracted the attention of some black voters. However, A lot of African American voters supported Eisenhower during his two elections. JFK was the first Presidental nominee to openly embrace a civil rights agenda so his candidacy began the movement of blacks to the Democratic party in large numbers. Barry Goldwater's stance on the civil rights act in 1964, basically sealed the exodus.

You can thank me later for the history lesson. Mr. Marine.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
There is no reason in the 21st century for you to continue to make such false statements.

Before FDR, the overwhelming majority of blacks supported GOP candidates. FDR's new deal attracted the attention of some black voters. However, A lot of African American voters supported Eisenhower during his two elections. JFK was the first Presidental nominee to openly embrace a civil rights agenda so his candidacy began the movement of blacks to the Democratic party in large numbers. Barry Goldwater's stance on the civil rights act in 1964, basically sealed the exodus.

You can thank me later for the history lesson. Mr. Marine.
Ironically, you are using facts from the 20 CENTURY!!!!!

LOL. Ok so are we using facts that are almost 50 years old now? Gimme a break!!! Stop reaching for the stars. Can you give me CURRENT facts? I'll be waiting....

The divorce rate was also next to nothing back then too. I guess those facts are still relevant???

Jmusmc85-1 Ahales-0

Last edited by jmusmc85; 03-30-2011 at 01:39 PM..

Old 03-30-2011, 01:22 PM

465 posts, read 451,275 times
Quote:
treatment = your tax dollars. Give 'em up!

Old 03-30-2011, 01:25 PM

465 posts, read 451,275 times
Quote:
In one post, someone on here says that blacks AREN'T looking for handouts. Then in another post, you are pretty much saying you ARE looking for handouts.Which is it? So it's ok if you are black and say it? But if you aren't black that makes you racist?
Bingo.

Democrats are the party of free stuff paid for by other peoples' money.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:03 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 980,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Of course I know Hispanic is not a race, it's a culture. DUUUUHHH. And I'm more than willing to bet that even though you are Hispanic (allegedly, now that it's convenient for you) you identify more with the African American side of you than Hispanic. Saying a few words in Spanish doesn't make you Hispanic. Fenty had a Panamian father. He's black. Halle Barry is half white. She identifys as black. I grew up in a Hispanic household with Hispanic food, music, religion and the whole nine yards. I'm from Texas for crying out loud!!!
so now you have the authority to decide how people choose to identify themselves...superiority complex much? how old are you? you seem very childish. what one chooses to identify as, does not change what they are. i can choose to identify myself as a woman, but i am still a man. for the record, i don't pick and choose my ethnicity. also, if you are hispanic, you should know that there's no such thing as a hispanic culture. the only thing that mexicans and dominicans share in common is language.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
so now you have the authority to decide how people choose to identify themselves...superiority complex much? how old are you? you seem very childish. what one chooses to identify as, does not change what they are. i can choose to identify myself as a woman, but i am still a man. for the record, i don't pick and choose my ethnicity. also, if you are hispanic, you should know that there's no such thing as a hispanic culture. the only thing that mexicans and dominicans share in common is language.
Are you kidding me?

"The term has also been used to denote the culture and people of countries formerly ruled by the Spanish Empire, usually with a majority Hispanophone population. Collectively known as Hispanic America, this region includes Mexico, Cuba and the majority of the Central and South American countries, and most of the Greater Antilles. "Hispanic" is also used by people in the United States who are of Hispanic American origin (Hispanic and Latino Americans). Cultural elements (Spanish names, the Spanish language, Spanish customs, etc.) and people known as Hispanic can also be found in other areas that were formerly part of the Spanish Empire, such as in Equatorial Guinea in Africa."

So lemme guess, according to you, the only thing someone from Morocco and Egypt share is language? Get outta here! You obviously know nothing about the Hispanic/latino culture.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:32 PM

81 posts, read 100,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
treatment = your tax dollars. Give 'em up!
Are Americans responsible for the sick firefighters and other volunteers 9/11? No, but they're tax dollars go to the survivors. Did the holocaust happen here? NO, but some states pay reparations to the survivors. No protest when it comes to giving your tax dollars there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: