U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-27-2011, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Springfield VA
4,037 posts, read 7,858,469 times
Reputation: 1485

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
Terrance, it wasn't always like that. Not too long ago, Southern Hip Hop was being dominated by quality groups and rappers like Outkast, Goodie Mobb, Scarface, UGK, etc.... Personally, I blame D4L and Franchise Boyz for ruining everything. When Laffy Taffy shot up the charts, everything went down hill.

Like you,
Thanks Atlanta.

(all of my family looks at me crazy when I blast Atlanta, I love to visit that city but I would never want to live there).
Huh? Never said anything about music. I like light party music myself. Laffy Taffy was fine it just got overplayed. I remember Goodie Mob and Outkast fun times.

I'm about as familiar as one can get with Atlanta without ever living there. That's thanks to plenty of weekend trips from my hometown to the big city. I like Atlanta. Do you have lots of flashy black folks who are putting on airs? Yes. However, that's not all that Atlanta is about. Because it was only 100 miles up the road I never viewed Atlanta as a mecca but basically the closest big city. I know lots of former classmates who have moved to Atlanta looking for bigger and better. Many of them are doing well there.

Atlanta's a fun city but I think I'll tough it out here versus heading back to Georgia.

 
Old 03-27-2011, 09:11 AM
 
311 posts, read 723,329 times
Reputation: 364
Lol no offense, but did anyone not notice my name is GABISON?? I was born and raised in GA (not ATL but went there of course PLENTY of times and still have family/friends in ATL....and know alot of Alumni from various colleges I met in and out of the area who have moved)...I think ATL is a prime city *shrugs* and my network is alot better in that city than here....Yes I know ALL about the superficiality of ATL but D.C. has just about the same thing and more....Heck has noone here ever been to LA or Miami??.....At some point, if you're a big urban environment you're gonna get superficial people *shrugs* that's life.............and to be honest, I vowed 8 YEARS ago never to move back to GA but here I am..........Maybe the reason I can stand ATL now is because 1) housing is cheaper and that's important for me as I start saving up for other goals 2) The weather 3) People are more willing to mentor 4) I can make friends easier and not be in the middle of some epic culture war amongst my own people 5) Racism is allll out in the open versus the overt hidden liberal racism that exists in this city amongst white people...and I can deal with open racism alot more than the fake smiles I get....or the fact I was pretty much done after I was crying in my bedroom when i FINALLY got a job(multiple job offers in fact) in this city after my layoff when I put on a "brown sandy colored straight wig" over my natural professionally done twists and "white-washed" my resume
Unequal Opportunity and Whitewashed Resumes | The Defenders Online | A Civil Rights Blog (http://www.thedefendersonline.com/2010/01/20/unequal-opportunity-and-whitewashed-resumes/ - broken link)
.......Racism is real and getting more intense no matter WHERE you go...have none of you seen the stats for the amount of educated YOUNG black people unemployed all over the country??As soon as the recession hit, (and companies said to heck with Quotas) we got the short end of the stick from "liberal" San Francisco to "racist" Alabama..........So I might as well be in a racist environment which I actually enjoy

Look...to be honest...this city was great during the time I've been here but living here DOESN'T align with my goals....The rent is high,I can afford the rent it's just I can't do it anymore. My goal is to put close to one paycheck a month into savings..**btw i have NO student Debt and my CC debt is almost non-existent so It's prime time for me to start looking into possible entrepreneurship**.....I'm tired of paying a landlord half of my income for a small apartment in a gentrified neighborhood when I could get a nicer place apartment in a nice neighborhood by the park for cheaper money....And I plan to go to Grad School there and get cheap in-state tution...heck maybe I'll move back to the North when I'm more settled in my career and a bit older but D.C. is just not the place me-I'm a young, educated, black person (who doesn't want to work for the government) trying to make it....and Charlotte...I don't even enjoy that city and Houston is wayyyy too hot but thanks for the suggestions! At one point I had dreams of moving to New Orleans (after graduation) but Katrina pretty much ruined that....


AND OFF TOPIC---Also-while we're talking about Education stats...I came from a crackhead daddy and a broke momma like I said before....those same stats should say I should be a hoodrat with 6 kids by now but I'm not....I'm far from that because I took responsibility for my OWN education with free books and computers at the library and my mother (who was basically a single parent with my dad locked up majority of my life) read to me every night and only let me watch certain shows and CAREFULLY screened what type of people I hung around so I wouldn't get into any trouble........Parents (especially minority parents) need to STOP putting all the educational responsibility on teachers and the quality of schools and start MAKING kids learn on their own or something.....real talk........All the funding in the world/fancy schools and choice of location isn't going to change a kid from being a dumb a** if parents don't invest some time and effort and stop making excuses for these lil kids...............I know immigrant kids who came from worse situations than these lil American hood-BRATS(heck, so did I) , and you don't see them making failing grades and giving out excuses.....I wish I WOULD of told my momma I came home with a C LMAO

Last edited by GaBison2007; 03-27-2011 at 09:36 AM..
 
Old 03-27-2011, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,211,370 times
Reputation: 501
Lol. I feel ya. I came home with a C, once in 8th grade and I caught the beating of a lifetime. I am glad that you made something of yourself. I have never understood why so many of us want to embrace ignorant behavior and won't raise our kids. the black community has screwed up priorities in 2011 but I won't go into that convo on CD.


@ Terrance, I like party music as well but um, party used to equal California Love, I got five on it, Skew it on the Bar B... Those songs required a lot more effort than White Tee and Laffy Taffy.

As far as moving back south, I will eventually. I have considered Charlotte, Raleigh, Birmingham, Dallas or moving back to NOLA or the Mississippi Gulf Coast. I loved living in NOLA but I really don't know if I would want to raise my kids there. You want to talk about a D.C. culture war....
 
Old 03-28-2011, 06:38 AM
(-)
 
690 posts, read 1,588,146 times
Reputation: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viceroy of Lost Umbrellas View Post
That was a nice tu quoque there, but how does it change whether Barry's comment is racist or not? Just because one side does it, that makes it ok? Additionally, I would point out that the elements of the tea party that spout these things tend to get called to task on them and are often called racist. I've heard them referred to as rednecks as well.

If a white Southern politician made comments stating that too many blacks are moving into the county and we need to keep the county white, we would call them a racist, correct? Please explain how this is any different.

My opinion of Marion Barry is mixed. I think that he did some good for the city in the past, but that he time has passed and that he has turned into a caricature of what he used to be.
please spare me. this is a message board that overhwhelmingly states a high number of blacks in a neighborhood = bad neighborhood
jokestars is the same person who made the statement in another post that he prefers to not live in a "black neighborhood" (not a direct quote but something to that affect) because of safety issues. did you call him to task on that? is that not a racist statement? if not racist, what is it? i have no use for a race card, i could care less what someone thinks of me personally but, i'm also not blind to reality. have you ever lived in the south? i have. there are countless numbers of small towns and cities with leaders who've stated things 10x worse than barry with regard to latinos and blacks.
as far as the barry of now, yes it may be time for him to fade into the sunset but that's for his voting constituents to decide. as you all have proudly proclaimed, dc is now a mixed majority so his time may very well be over.
 
Old 03-28-2011, 06:41 AM
(-)
 
690 posts, read 1,588,146 times
Reputation: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
I read this article yesterday and said, who cares? and I rather see a cafe on the corner than a liquor store.
and thats fine if you have a vested interest in that neighborhood. but if you don't, than what right do you have to say about anything in that neighborhood? my point is, until you or anyone puts their money where their mouth is you should refrain from telling people what and what they shouldn't do in their own neighborhoods.
 
Old 03-28-2011, 06:44 AM
(-)
 
690 posts, read 1,588,146 times
Reputation: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
If Marion was white and said "We're going to stop this Hispanic influx." The media would have a fit 24/7.
do you realize what you just wrote? what television stations have you been watching? every other minute you hear some white guy/gal/politician/average joe/etc saying either

1. we need to close our borders
2. we need more immigration reform (tougher sanctions)
3. go back home
4. i hate illegals

add on and on and on

so it's cool for Beck, Palin, Limbaugh, and leading GOP politicians to say those things but it's not cool for Barry to say it?

 
Old 03-28-2011, 07:14 AM
 
9 posts, read 9,013 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
do you realize what you just wrote? what television stations have you been watching? every other minute you hear some white guy/gal/politician/average joe/etc saying either

1. we need to close our borders
2. we need more immigration reform (tougher sanctions)
3. go back home
4. i hate illegals

add on and on and on

so it's cool for Beck, Palin, Limbaugh, and leading GOP politicians to say those things but it's not cool for Barry to say it?

The post you were responding to wasn't talking about illegals.
 
Old 03-28-2011, 07:27 AM
(-)
 
690 posts, read 1,588,146 times
Reputation: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patera View Post
The post you were responding to wasn't talking about illegals.

If Marion was white and said "We're going to stop this Hispanic influx." The media would have a fit 24/7.

i didn't make that statement and i just gave you several examples to illustrate the blatant hypocrisy in this post. the fact that many of you equate hispanic to illegal in and of itself is a bit racist but alas, i don't have the energy or desire to debate this subject since it will eventually veer off from the topic of the post. you see the world the way you choose to see it, and i will see it the way i choose to see it.
 
Old 03-28-2011, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Northern Virginia
116 posts, read 171,208 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
please spare me. this is a message board that overhwhelmingly states a high number of blacks in a neighborhood = bad neighborhood
jokestars is the same person who made the statement in another post that he prefers to not live in a "black neighborhood" (not a direct quote but something to that affect) because of safety issues. did you call him to task on that? is that not a racist statement? if not racist, what is it? i have no use for a race card, i could care less what someone thinks of me personally but, i'm also not blind to reality. have you ever lived in the south? i have. there are countless numbers of small towns and cities with leaders who've stated things 10x worse than barry with regard to latinos and blacks.
as far as the barry of now, yes it may be time for him to fade into the sunset but that's for his voting constituents to decide. as you all have proudly proclaimed, dc is now a mixed majority so his time may very well be over.
You miss the point. Even if the other things you say are true, does it make Barry's comment not racist? I'm well aware of what is going on in Arizona and other parts of the country with respect to Hispanics. I've seen what happened in Prince William County in Virginia and I do think it is racist. However, I don't live in those places therefore my vote doesn't do anything there.

With respect to whatever jokestars has stated, surely you have a link for that? I remember his thread on buying in the Navy Yard but I don't remember him saying he didn't want to live near Black people.

I don't think that DC being mixed majority will be the cause of Marion Barry's exit from local politics. I think that Marion Barry is becoming less effective and less able to wield influence than he used to be. I think that is more of a function of the various scandals that have dogged him since the 80s. Even if he gets elected in Ward 8, I don't know that he'll have much influence in the city council.
 
Old 03-28-2011, 11:45 AM
 
465 posts, read 792,095 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
jokestars is the same person who made the statement in another post that he prefers to not live in a "black neighborhood" (not a direct quote but something to that affect) because of safety issues. did you call him to task on that? is that not a racist statement? if not racist, what is it? i
By the way, the word is "effect'.

The fact I noted that majority black areas will often have a higher crime rate isn't racist, it's fact. Here's something you should have learned: Calling something "sexist" or "racist" doesn't change the validity of the statement.

Here's an example you can follow. Let' say I say:

1) "the majority of illegal aliens are hispanic". You Pavlovically cry "RAAAACISM!" and do not provide evidence to the countrary. Calling racism does not change the empirical evidence that the the vast majority of illegal aliens are hispanic.

2) "asian males tend to have the highest SAT scores". You Pavlovically cry "RAAAACISM!" and do not provide evidence to the countrary. Do you not understand? Crying racism or sexism at something does not invalidate the facts being presented.

Now, if I said, "asian males have the highest SAT scores because they are superior humans when compared to other races", then you might have a point. Noting that heavily low-income black areas have higher crime rates isn't racist. If you think it is, then you've confused me with a mincing liberal who buys your "eternally oppressed" act.

Quote:
so it's cool for Beck, Palin, Limbaugh, and leading GOP politicians to say those things but it's not cool for Barry to say it?
I'm starting to think you're trolling. A smart person would not try to compare illegal immigration with free, legal citizens chosing to live where they want to. The federal government is required under law to stop illegal aliens and deport them. What's your equivalent justification for rounding up and deporting whites for having the gall to be your neighbor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top