U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 03:01 PM

81 posts, read 149,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
I don't think libertarians are saying that. No one seriously thinks everyone's born into equal circumstances. The difference is we don't think it's government's role to try to rectify that.

The way poor south-east asians have really succeeded in this country have thrown a wrench in the perpetual victimhood justifications. My uncle came here not knowing English and had only 500 bucks. He's a surgeon now.

I despise blaming racism and a sense of entitlement (not saying you think that, ahales).
Did you uncle go to DC public schools? Was one of his parents locked up, on PCP, heroine, or Crack? Was he a victim of abuse or neglect? These are the kind of problems these folks face which is an effect of generational poverty.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:06 PM

465 posts, read 770,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnative27 View Post
Did you uncle go to DC public schools? Was one of his parents locked up, on PCP, heroine, or Crack? Was he a victim of abuse or neglect? These are the kind of problems these folks face which is an effect of generational poverty.
Since you're basically admitting my family was probably poorer than your example, let's go with what you said and talk about intact families.

I agree 100%. Family is probably more important than income. But what's the solution? This is not a rhetorical question. When answering, try to avoid creating new federal bureaucracies or wasting tax-payer money.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
No one ever said we all have an equal footing from birth. Libertarians and conservatives believe we should all be treated equally before the law and that with hard work and drive to innovate, anyone can make it in America. And they're right. If my parents can come and make it to the upper middle class from literally a hut in a third world country, I'm not sure why you think blacks deserve special treatments.
No one never said that, but it's implied in your assumptions about race and the opportunities people have.

Quote:
And for every one that does I could find three or four black or latino ones who do as well.
Maybe, but they're not elected as much as the White Politicians who create racist policies to disenfranchise minorities.

Quote:
That's not what out of context means.
Context meaning circumstances and audience, which applies here.

Quote:
So what's your solution? Affirmative action? More taxes and handouts?
Whatever helps bridge the gap!

Quote:
I haven't seen many white liberals in DC defend Barry recently.
Well obviously you haven't...

Old 03-28-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
"Liberal Whites understand this concept, that's why Barry is still well liked amongst all despite his pitfalls with drugs and women."

Are you on crack too?!?! Nobody but the hoodrats east of the river thinks of Barry in a positive light. He has them convinced that the rest of America is out to get them and he is their savior. Nevermind that his rap sheet is longer than my grocery list, he blames the 'white man' that is always out to get him.
No matter where in the city you go the opinion varies about Barry's legacy. It's a dumb generalization to think that only people east of river still think of him in a positive light.

Seriously, if it wasn't for the drugs he would be a major civil rights leader, right along side MLK or Thurgood Marshall.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:16 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,853,665 times
Quote:
Maybe, but they're not elected as much as the White Politicians who create racist policies to disenfranchise minorities.
What current policies are these? I don't have an angle here, I am actually curious. I'm pretty much lost when I stray outside of health policy.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Since you're basically admitting my family was probably poorer than your example, let's go with what you said and talk about intact families.

I agree 100%. Family is probably more important than income. But what's the solution? This is not a rhetorical question. When answering, try to avoid creating new federal bureaucracies or wasting tax-payer money.
Private funding works, such as the kind that Bill Gates has invested in experimental charter school initiatives in low income neighborhoods.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Give me a break. We're running huge debts so any cuts to government (which NAMs tend to rely on more than whites) could be construed as disenfranchising minorities.

Yeah, John Boehner really hates black kids. Actually, it's probably just the teachers' unions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7FS5...layer_embedded

Old 03-28-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
What current policies are these? I don't have an angle here, I am actually curious. I'm pretty much lost when I stray outside of health policy.
When I say that, I don't mean they're doing it in a sinister arch villany way. They don't really intend to disenfranchise people. It's like bailing out Wall Street instead of Main Street. One benefits more than the other or one benefits at the others expense.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
When I say that, I don't mean they're doing it in a sinister arch villany way. They don't really intend to disenfranchise people. It's like bailing out Wall Street instead of Main Street. One benefits more than the other or one benefits at the others expense.
I actually agree here. If you watch that youtube video it makes the same point. Needless cash wasted on auto and wall street bailouts and at the same time slashing voucher programs.

But don't interpret that as me supporting just sending people a free government check every month!

Old 03-28-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Give me a break. We're running huge debts so any cuts to government (which NAMs tend to rely on more than whites) could be construed as disenfranchising minorities.

Yeah, John Boehner really hates black kids. Actually, it's probably just the teachers' unions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8uUkE65orQ
I don't want to start up a Public vs. Charter School debate on here. I'm strongly against Charter schools and programs like that because the money could be channeled into the dilapidated DC school system. Opening additional public schools to reduce class size, and the money could be used to recruit and train better teachers. Which is better and less fiscally harmful than funding charter schools. I went to a charter, and when they needed money they indoctrinated my classmates and used us as a flag to get more funding. The administrators who start these schools are not certified and usually make upwards of 250k a year or more, and the education quality sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or
View detailed profiles of: