Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 03:47 PM

465 posts, read 928,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnative27 View Post
I don't want to start up a Public vs. Charter School debate on here. I'm strongly against Charter schools and programs like that because the money could be channeled into the dilapidated DC school system. Opening additional public schools to reduce class size, and the money could be used to recruit and train better teachers. Which is better and less fiscally harmful than funding charter schools. I went to a charter, and when they needed money they indoctrinated my classmates and used us as a flag to get more funding. The administrators who start these schools are not certified and usually make upwards of 250k a year or more, and the education quality sucks.
DC spends an absurd amount of money per student already, and you think simply pouring more money into that black hole will fix anything? How about being able to fire crappy teachers? Oh, Michelle Rhee was doing that. Too bad the teachers unions poured a lot of money into Gray's campaign. Wonder why?

Also, the voucher program is not the same as charter schools. The results speak for themselves: Private schools DESTROY public schools when it come to student success. The fact you're worried about quality control at private schools is laughable.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:52 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,513 times
Quote:
No matter where in the city you go the opinion varies about Barry's legacy. It's a dumb generalization to think that only people east of river still think of him in a positive light.

Seriously, if it wasn't for the drugs he would be a major civil rights leader, right along side MLK or Thurgood Marshall.
Alongside MLK and Marshall???? BAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

Wait a minute...is this Barry???

Old 03-28-2011, 03:53 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,827 times
Quote:
When I say that, I don't mean they're doing it in a sinister arch villany way. They don't really intend to disenfranchise people. It's like bailing out Wall Street instead of Main Street. One benefits more than the other or one benefits at the others expense.
Well, what current racist disenfrachising policies have white politicians passed accidentally then?

What TARP did or didn't do doesn't seem to be race specific to me, unless I'm missing something.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
DC spends an absurd amount of money per student already, and you think simply pouring more money into that black hole will fix anything?
I have to agree here. I looked up the FY11 budget of my local middle school here. Their operational budget breaks down to $20,190/student. That does not include legacy costs or major capital expenditures. That's purely current personnel and programmatic costs. That's well short of Sidwell tuition, but it would buy any private school education where I grew up!

Last edited by KStreetQB; 03-28-2011 at 04:02 PM..

Old 03-28-2011, 04:16 PM

81 posts, read 175,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Well, what current racist disenfrachising policies have white politicians passed accidentally then?

What TARP did or didn't do doesn't seem to be race specific to me, unless I'm missing something.
You must be a lawyer...

Old 03-28-2011, 04:22 PM

81 posts, read 175,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
DC spends an absurd amount of money per student already?

Also, the voucher program is not the same as charter schools. The results speak for themselves: Private schools DESTROY public schools when it come to student success. The fact you're worried about quality control at private schools is laughable.
I know they aren't the same, they just have similar agendas, profit for those who start them. I have no choice but to agree with the rest of your comment. However, I don't like charter schools as an alternative, we should try something else. Sorry if I want to blow up the mountain instead of climbing it.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:34 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
please spare me. this is a message board that overhwhelmingly states a high number of blacks in a neighborhood = bad neighborhood
jokestars is the same person who made the statement in another post that he prefers to not live in a "black neighborhood" (not a direct quote but something to that affect) because of safety issues. did you call him to task on that? is that not a racist statement? if not racist, what is it? i have no use for a race card, i could care less what someone thinks of me personally but, i'm also not blind to reality. have you ever lived in the south? i have. there are countless numbers of small towns and cities with leaders who've stated things 10x worse than barry with regard to latinos and blacks.
as far as the barry of now, yes it may be time for him to fade into the sunset but that's for his voting constituents to decide. as you all have proudly proclaimed, dc is now a mixed majority so his time may very well be over.
If a belief is rooted in fact, statistics etc how is that racist? Should people deny the obvious to conform to some notion of political correctness?

Old 03-28-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
DC may have higher high school graduation rates than other Black cities, however that doesn't mean the quality of life or the education for that matter is better because of it. The schools here are downright crappy, I had a friend who graduated from Ballou High School in ward 8 with a 3.95 GPA, she took the SAT and got a 550! DC teachers are known to pass people out of sympathy and not actually based on merit, PG is no better. On average, DC High school graduates actually have between a 3rd and 8th grade education.
In a lot of inner city schools they will give you an A for merely showing up, not causing commotions and muddling through assignments.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
"Liberal Whites understand this concept, that's why Barry is still well liked amongst all despite his pitfalls with drugs and women."

Are you on crack too?!?! Nobody but the hoodrats east of the river thinks of Barry in a positive light. He has them convinced that the rest of America is out to get them and he is their savior. Nevermind that his rap sheet is longer than my grocery list, he blames the 'white man' that is always out to get him.
He never would have won reelection if only the folks east of the river voted for him. The numbers simply aren't there.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
A system of schools, environments, laws, rules, that basically increase the chances that those born into impoverished families will stay poor. A media that reinforces stereotypes and successful blacks who gain their success by highlighting stereotypes that will essentially hurt their poor brethren.

The fact that blacks in America were denied the basic rights to education for so long set it place some bad precedents and cycles of mis-education. There are some people in my hometown that are still scared to look white people in their eyes. There are still some scars and many of the issues can be traced back to then. South Africa is undergoing the same problem.

However, that is not to excuse the bad behavior, foolish priorities that some in our community continue to embrace. I am not saying that massive AA programs nor welfare is the solution. I am simply saying if we want to have a convo about it, lets have an honest full scale convo. Not some media talking points bullshat. Libertarians want to believe that everyone is born with an equal opportunity when it is just isn't the case.
You're making a lot of excuses. Black American history wasn't a tale of woe and despair even for the ex-slaves. Blacks owned more land in 1910 then they do now. The illegitimacy rate was considerably less around 10%.

Dunbar High School in DC routinely sent kids off to Harvard, Yale Howard etc and consistently had some of the best scores in the city if not the best before integration. haven't looked at crime rates of that period but my guess is they were less as well.

Now it is a cesspool where girls have to be warned of a rape threat.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:47 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,827 times
Quote:
You must be a lawyer...
I just figured that when you mentioned:

Quote:
the White Politicians who create racist policies to disenfranchise minorities
that you might be able to name a policy.

I'm in healthcare though. No JD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: